2011+ coyote LT header question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
2011+ coyote LT header question

I'm sure this has been brought up on here before but I don't have the time to look!
I'm looking to install headers but can't make up my mind on the size? 1 7/8's or 1 3/4's? I've gotten mixed answers from other ppl running both. My car is n/a rite now but has plans for a vortech later . I'm running a 100 shot currently. I've herd the larger 1 7/8's actually hurt performance on FI apps? Is this true?
The heads will remain stock except for maybe boss valve springs to handle boost.
What's the ppl running LT's think?
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
1 7/8 headers do not hurt performance. You will lose close to a lbs of boost but make up for it with the gain in headers.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So I can just turn the boost up then? Lol
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
I'm sure this has been brought up on here before but I don't have the time to look!
I'm looking to install headers but can't make up my mind on the size? 1 7/8's or 1 3/4's? I've gotten mixed answers from other ppl running both. My car is n/a rite now but has plans for a vortech later . I'm running a 100 shot currently. I've herd the larger 1 7/8's actually hurt performance on FI apps? Is this true?
The heads will remain stock except for maybe boss valve springs to handle boost.
What's the ppl running LT's think?
I went with kooks 1 7/8 because I plan on going fi down the road. 1 3/4 is more relative for NA applications.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

But there's gains to be had with both set ups on a n/a motor rite?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But there's gains to be had with both set ups on a n/a motor rite?
You will gain with both on NA applications; however, the larger diameter may reduce some torque without fi.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok that's what I thought and have experienced with other motors. Thanks for the info!!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok that's what I thought and have experienced with other motors. Thanks for the info!!
Happy to help!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have another question. Can I run long tubes on the stock tune and not have codes or drivability issues? What CATTED mid pipe would work with the rear o2's turned ON?
I'm asking because my car is still under warranty. I have to flash back to stock if I take it in to the dealership. I don't want to have to remove the long tubes to take it in. I'd much rather just switch mid pipes, trow the stock air box back on and flash it back to stock than to spend 8-10hrs changing headers
Old 07-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Correct you would not need a tune for the longtubes. The only ones though you could use would be Kooks mid lengths with their green cats. All the other companies cats flow so well it would throw a code for cat efficiency and you would need to have the rear o2's turned off.

Here is where the debate will start. Some will say because of the placement of the front o2's being further downstream a tune is needed to compensate for it. Not true but it depends on which tuner you talk to. The front o2's are also widebands so as long as the adaptive feature is turned on in the tune it should be fine. When I put longtubes on I datalogged my tune and nothing had changed except for the fact it was running a bit richer. But very very little. The Kooks being a mid length keep the front o2's closer to their stock location so they are more ideal for this.

If you have any major problems flashing back to stock is going to do you no good because if a Ford engineer has to be called in they'll know it was tuned.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not worried about that as far as the whole ford knowing my car is/was tuned. My mechanic cannot use his diagnostic equipment with an aftermarket tune on the car. It has to be stock from what he told me. I just wonder if the car throwing cat codes will effect his testing or how the car is running?
He basically uses a lap top to diagnose the car much like I do with Plc software to diagnose a machine.
On another note I was told by bama the adaptive learning cannot be turned off. I asked them about this because when I would load a new tune from them the cars would run great for a few days then start to back off and become lazy?? It's like the ECU was over writing the tune??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT