2011+ 5.0 spark plug tq specs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
2011+ 5.0 spark plug tq specs

Can anyone tell me the correct torque specs for the spark plugs on these coyote motors? And if any type of never seize is needed? I'm changing plugs to 1 step colder for the spray and CAN NOT find this info!?!?
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
you can't find it because it's common practice for aluminum head engines; it ain't rocket surgery.

You can use either copper base or aluminum base anti-seize and you tighten the plug about a 1/4 turn past touch down on a new plug. Aluminum is cheaper but copper lasts longer.

disconnect the battery first so you don't accidentally blow the main fuse with your wrench.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I need a torque spec. Ex:M14x1.25 (aluminum) =20-30ft nm

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

All the aluminum headed motors I've ever worked on had steel thread serts. There should be a spec for this SOMEWHERE. And NO it's not goodntight! Lol I don't have a manual for this motor obviously. Are these heads/plugs conical seal or sealing ring type?
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You really are over-thinking this.

If you have any wisdom of the hands with this you'll be allright for knowing what right is here.

Almost nothing uses sealing ring stuff anymore. Most stuff's conical seal these days. Too many variations in height and heat issues using a sealing ring.

Usually Ford historically specs too high a torque value, about 25 lbs/ft but, 15 lb/ft is more than adequate.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I tighten to whatever my wrist torques to. Not using arm strength. Probably 20ish or so. Snug and then a hair tighter always works for me. I've never used a torque wrench on a sparkplug in my life.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hey nothing wrong with measuring twice and cutting once!? I do this type of work for a living as an industrial maintenance tech. I'm sorry but it comes second nature.i deal with specs and details daily as the machining centers I work on have to hold a tolerance of 3 micron. There's ALWAYS a torque spec for a specific threaded app. I've turned wrenches on just about anything you can think of! This is my first coyote 5.0. Thanks for the info
Old 07-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You almost had me convinced until i saw the ft-nm measurement you invented 4 posts back
Old 07-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Was a type-o and was only an example. I'm not here to convince ANYONE or act like I'm better than anyone either! Only for info! I'm not gonna sit on here and measure wangs! Don't have the time nor the care
Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

And just think. I'll be the one making the front brake calipers for the new s550 stangs! 4pot 2pcs aluminum units. Muuuuhhhhaaaaaaaa!!8()
Old 07-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Waddya mean, your wang-caliper isn't calibrated to 3 microns? Just kidding, just kidding......

I already have 4 pot calipers on my S197...Brembo made 'em ...
Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

In the testing these new fomoco 4 pots out performed brembo's aftermarket 6 pots in EVERY torture test. These new 4 pots completely eliminate the bridge overheating issue associated with the current brembo mustang caliper and will be standard equipment on 2 of the 3 s550 models. They will also be on the 2014.5 50th anniversary car (that info didn't come from me)! Yeah I have the poopy base brakes. I wish I could be a cool guy and have brembo's on my car!? Lol no ill just get a set of these new 4 pots loaded (with pads) and rotors for free and cut me out an adapter bracket from billet on a 5 axis toyosk machining center that I have in my maintenance shop. yes I write my own cnc programs too.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, those 6 pots seem to be a pretty big failure to launch right from the get-go.

You go, on all that cutting. Looking forward to the results when you get it done. A simple brake caliper bracket should be mangia-cake for you.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The spark plugs are torqued to 124 in lb or 12 ft lb. and the coil on plugs bolts are 53 in lb.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks todlowfoyou! That's exactly the info I was looking for
Old 07-28-2013, 03:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Considering we make caliper brackets daily.

The brembo 6 out performs the 4 all day long. I know. We reverse engineered a bran new set of 4's when we first started designing the new mustang brake. I literally had to watch our engineered beat, cut, burn, and melt a bran new set of 4 pots for the current mustang. It wasn't a comforting image! then we have out tirture tester. It's basically a fixture that holds both the loaded caliper and rotor. There's a 3 phase 480v motor hooked directly to the rotor. It's designed to demonstrate the worst possible driving conditions. The base gt brakes failed at the ceramic pistons when over heated. The 4 pot brombo's failed at the bridge and bolts, and the brembo 6's couldn't disperse the heat correctly and boiled the fluid. Once hot enough the stop working. These ford brake ran red hot! Never failing. The thermal imager showed even heat distribution throughout the entire caliper. The pads eventually failed but only after being "beat on" for the equivalent of 60,000 miles.
Just remember something else. It doesn't much matter what kind of car you have or the type of brakes that are on it. We make brackets caliper and abs units for ALL big auto manufactures! Yes that means ford brakes are run on the same machine lines as , GM , Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, ect. Yes the brembo's are better than the base brakes but they still require "beefed" up to get the heat out of them (aftermarket lines, better fluid, better pads, better rotors) in high performance apps. Normal everyday driving they perform just fine (except for the dust build up) but yet so do the base brakes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT