Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Factory Projector Headlights bulbs changeable?

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Joaquin_ii 
#1 ·
I was wondering if the factory GT projector headlights have bulbs that can be changed to have a darker blue like the fog lights?

#4 ·
Betcher azz they are changeable. It's tricky, there's a little cover on the back of the housing which twists off and some tabs holding the bulb in by friction. You need to disconnect the battery and step on the brake pedal to discharge any residual energy in the system before touching HID bulbs.

Ford wants some bull**** like $400 for the bulb plus install but, you can find them online for a lot less, like under $100.

#6 ·
yes they are interchangeable.. it is a D3s bulb. Most people go with a 5k bulb to match the LED fogs.. once you remove the cover on the back of the headlight housing there is metal clips if you have a 13+ mustang holding the bulbs in place, it is located at the bottom of the bulb and it has to be squeezed and pushed inward to released.
If you have an 10-12 hid equipped car there is a plastic piece next to the bulb that has to be pushed either up or down to release the locking mechanism than bulb can be pulled out..

Remember regardless of either 10-12 or 13+ do not touch the bulb.. And remove the bulb before trying to pull the wire off the bottom of the bulbs.

#7 ·
Hey all, sorry to bring this back from the dead. But i'm hoping i can find some help here.

How can I access the bulb and change it out? I was able to pull the twist cap off the the back of the headlight housing however i was not able to put my hand in a position to pull the bulb out(the space behind the headlight is too dang small for my hands). Some of my research is leading me to believe i may have to take the entire bumper off to change this damn light bulb.

I saw something online about remove the wheel well liner but on the passenger side of the car i cant see the wheel well liner from the the top of of engine bay looking down behind the light so i'm thinking that wouldn't really make much of a difference.

I'm actually hoping to replace my bulb as it has began going out or trouble shoot the ballast as i'm not sure if it's the bulb or the ballast at this point the passenger headlight turns on for about 5-10 min then shuts off, and will work for 5-10 more min if i turn off and on my head lights, but then go out again.

Also, if any can tell me where the ballast is located(that would be great), i'm assuming it's in the headlight assembly but i'm just guessing. I've researched this issue for about 2-3 hours, and i keep coming around to the fact i'm going to have to take the damn bumper off because my hands do not fit behind the headlight and if squeeze them in there i cant see what the hell i'm doing. Any help is much appreciated.

#8 ·
Ballast is on the fender, iirc and you are looking in the right place if you have on-off light activity.

Taking the bumper cover off won't really help access, since the headlights are mounted to the rad support/inner fender.

#9 ·
thanks for the info. were you able to get good access to the bulb/ballast by taking the inner wheel well off?

I spoke with the dealer yesterday and they said the only way to get full access to the bulb/ballast was taking the front bumper cover off.

anyone ever done this before of have any thoughts or recommendations?

#10 ·
Well, taking the bumper cover off is a 15 minute job so, I wouldn't be too concerned about that. You'll work harder taking the fender liner out.

#11 ·
On a 11 with stock hid; I switched out my bulbs without taking bumper off, just be careful when you install new bulbs, passenger side is a little bit harder to access but removing wheel well and bumper will not help as it's blocked off

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.