cranking noise when turning left or right - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
cranking noise when turning left or right

So I just got Ford k springs koni str.t shocks and struts with gt500 mounts and a bmr panhard bar. When I'm notmoving and I turn the wheel left or right there is a cranking type noise that I can certainly hear. When I'm driving I can't tell if it's making the noise because of the exhaust. Also, when cleaning my tires I noticed some paint is coming off the rear shocks on both sides .is this normal or is something off?
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
So I just got Ford k springs koni str.t shocks and struts with gt500 mounts and a bmr panhard bar. When I'm notmoving and I turn the wheel left or right there is a cranking type noise that I can certainly hear. When I'm driving I can't tell if it's making the noise because of the exhaust. Also, when cleaning my tires I noticed some paint is coming off the rear shocks on both sides .is this normal or is something off?
Go back and double check all your bolts. Especially the strut mount bolts and the sway bar end link bolts. Did you make sure to replace the bolts, or use locktite on them. As for the paint peeling off the shocks, i have about 6k miles on my str.t shocks, and when they are clean they still look brand new.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Go back and double check all your bolts. Especially the strut mount bolts and the sway bar end link bolts. Did you make sure to replace the bolts, or use locktite on them. As for the paint peeling off the shocks, i have about 6k miles on my str.t shocks, and when they are clean they still look brand new.
I had them installed at a reliable mustang shop. When I go get my lcas and uca installed I'll have them check over everything. As for the rear shocks the orange paint is peeled off a bit right on the side facing out towards the tire...
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I had them installed at a reliable mustang shop. When I go get my lcas and uca installed I'll have them check over everything. As for the rear shocks the orange paint is peeled off a bit right on the side facing out towards the tire...
I would have them double check for sure. Most people dont know the strut bolts are one time use only, according to ford, but most of us just reuse them and add locktite. As for the paint, again, i have no problems with mine, and its my daily driver. Maybe the chipped it when installing?
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would have them double check for sure. Most people dont know the strut bolts are one time use only, according to ford, but most of us just reuse them and add locktite. As for the paint, again, i have no problems with mine, and its my daily driver. Maybe the chipped it when installing?
That could be but it's in the same spot on both shocks in the rear. So I think they are rubbing when they compress against something but maybe it was when they were installed bc I don't see what they could be rubbing against when compressing . It doesn't bother me but imjust worried that something isn't right.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That could be but it's in the same spot on both shocks in the rear. So I think they are rubbing when they compress against something but maybe it was when they were installed bc I don't see what they could be rubbing against when compressing . It doesn't bother me but imjust worried that something isn't right.
I seriously doubt the shock it rubbing on anything... Dont see what it could really be rubbing on.
Again, i would just have them double check all the bolts.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Your strut mounts are toast! Sounds like there is bearing damage or balls missing out of the mount. My stock mounts did this when I tried to re use them. When I took them out they crumbled to pieces
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
Your strut mounts are toast! Sounds like there is bearing damage or balls missing out of the mount. My stock mounts did this when I tried to re use them. When I took them out they crumbled to pieces
Thats what i originally thought as well, but he said he put in new gt500 strut mounts with the struts. Hard to believe they failed so quickly, unless he got a bad part.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
I have the gt500 mounts...
Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have the gt500 mounts...
Beat me to it haha
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I feel like if they failed it would be slot worse of a noise. I reallyhave to listen to it to hear the cranking/ticking noise.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I feel like if they failed it would be slot worse of a noise. I reallyhave to listen to it to hear the cranking/ticking noise.
I agree. Plus a failed strut mount will make more of a loud pop, then a faint tick
Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sounds like a rear end problem to me.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Sounds like a rear end problem to me.
It sounds like it's coming fromthe front though . As I turn the wheelfaster sitting still the ticking cranking increases with however fast i turn the wheel.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

It sounds like it's coming fromthe front though . As I turn the wheelfaster sitting still the ticking cranking increases with however fast i turn the wheel.
I guess that eliminates the rear end then.lol
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I know we have electronic power steering, and im not all too familiar with the way the system works, but maybe you could be having problems with that?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know we have electronic power steering, and im not all too familiar with the way the system works, but maybe you could be having problems with that?
I reallythink it may be the springs binding or something. When I cruise I don't hear it and would never no it's there unless I hear it. The steering feels the same as day 1 so it must be something with the springs or bolts .
Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Do u hear it more when just starting a cold drive?? My stock mounts were reused and I hear noises at the beginning then they're faint and less noticable after driving it for a good while
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Do u hear it more when just starting a cold drive?? My stock mounts were reused and I hear noises at the beginning then they're faint and less noticable after driving it for a good while
Hmm didn't even consider that. I'll see ofit gets better asthe car gets up to temp. I have the gt500 mounts not the stock mounts when I switched to the konis
Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Update: when I took off the struttower bar to put on the new engine and coil covers I notice the cranking/ticking/binding noise was gone .when I put the strut tower bar back on it was back...
Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Well I just read the whole thread and I was gonna tell you about the front lower control arm tsb, they're known to do this a lot, but now that you talk about the STB I'm lost again.

As far as the paint, my shocks are bare in spots also, unfortunately when the shocks articulate the shock cover rubs the paint off those certain spots, it happens to many of us running STR.T shocks

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Well I just read the whole thread and I was gonna tell you about the front lower control arm tsb, they're known to do this a lot, but now that you talk about the STB I'm lost again.

As far as the paint, my shocks are bare in spots also, unfortunately when the shocks articulate the shock cover rubs the paint off those certain spots, it happens to many of us running STR.T shocks
Yeah its not a squeek/creak anything like that when going over bumps. its just the when turning the wheel left or right there is a consistent tick tick tick that gets faster or slower depending on the speed of the turn. This only happens when at idling or slowly moving into a driveway or such. When cruising at a normal speed I don't hear it when turning. Again, with the STB off i didn't notice it. How tight should the brace be bolted down?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Something crazy low I think 30 ft lbs or something, don't crank it down or you'll snap the strut mount studs

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Something crazy low I think 30 ft lbs or something, don't crank it down or you'll snap the strut mount studs
Cool. It may be on there to tight causing some binding or something. Oh BTW im totally kicking myself for leaving the show right after the awards. I see the guys who stayed got to reap the benefits by getting featured in the AM video at the end. Very cool! Oh and the sound of your exhaust made me want LTs and an offroad mid pipe now. So that will be getting done within the month .. thanks dave... haha
Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

No problem Joey, wish y'all could've come out to eat with us... But I booked it shortly after, I wasn't feeling so hot.

Thanks for the props too btw. If you want a good deal on headers let me know and I'll send you in the right direction

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good brother. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT