Exhaust help, experience only please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Exhaust help, experience only please

Hey guys, it has come time to make my 13 gt sound like a v8 . I am stuck between the borla s type, the borla atak, and roush. I would like only people with these three to post comments. Ive looked at threads and hundreds of videos and I cant decide. I like the deep tone of the s type but I love the aggressive sound of the atak and roush. If you have either of the three please give me your over all happiness and reasoning for choosing what you did. Thanks so much in advance!!
2013 gt premium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm not experience but my friend has borla s with x pipe steeda intake and bama tune and it sound really nice
Mustang_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you are just doing an axle-back then go with Roush. It's high quality and sounds amazing. If you are planning to do additional exhaust work such as midpipe or headers then go with Borla. Roush exhaust note can change negatively if cats and resonators get removed.
2013 Roush Stage 3 M6 Roush CAI, 82mm pulley, ID1000's, KB BAP, Vossen CV3 20x9-20x10.5, Michelin Pilot SS, Lethal O/R X, GT500 axleback, Barton Shifter with 2-post bracket, Clutch Line Upgrade, Boss Trans Cooler, Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, BMR Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline Trans Bushing, BMR LCA's with Relo Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, GT500 STB, Steeda X-Brace, Steeda rear sway, JLT Oil Separator, GT500 Diff Cover, Afco Heat Exchanger, 170* T-stat, Tint, RP Fluids, aeroforce interceptors///688rwhp 605lb/ft torque cornfed
Camron502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Go onto youtube and listen to all the videos. We can say anything about exhaust but its all subjective. Find a sound you like best and go with it. Personally id go with roush.
R03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I second all the above lol, ive seen hundreds of videos and like both roush and borla, like I said, I like the deep tone of the s type, but I just don't think it'll be loud enough for me, but I also don't necessarily like the reoccurring exhaust pop with the roush
Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron502 View Post
If you are just doing an axle-back then go with Roush. It's high quality and sounds amazing. If you are planning to do additional exhaust work such as midpipe or headers then go with Borla. Roush exhaust note can change negatively if cats and resonators get removed.
I agree with Camron502.. I personally have Roush installed in my GT 2013.. I love the Sound..you will not regret them!!!
Saintsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Its going to be your personal preference. They all perform about the same so i also suggest checking out some YouTube videos. I've heard all three in person and love the atak's but its what you like.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
This.
I personally have the roush and love them, but i HATE them without cats. Sounds horrible, and rasps like no other. I went with the Roush's because of stupid VA emissions, i wont be able to remove the cats or get long tubes. So IMO if the rest of the exhaust is staying stock get roush. If you plan on removing the cats, dont even consider anything else but the s types.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
+1. If u want axlebacks go with roush. I love them on my 13 GT but I really wanted Borla. Couldnt shell out that dough right now. Im a broke college student and I have kids haha
Old 07-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Even with just the axle backs the S-Types sound Amazing. had them with the stock H and got compliments all the time. now that I have an JBA O/R H it's even better. can't go wrong with the S-Types.
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Cant go wrong with any of these they all sound great
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
Even with just the axle backs the S-Types sound Amazing. had them with the stock H and got compliments all the time. now that I have an JBA O/R H it's even better. can't go wrong with the S-Types.
How loud are they, objectively? Like can you hear them on the next road over when you're driving home or is it just noticeable? Me being only 18, I want to be loud and noticeable, but I also respect others and would like to maintain some peace on my street when I'm coming home late
Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 gt premium View Post

How loud are they, objectively? Like can you hear them on the next road over when you're driving home or is it just noticeable? Me being only 18, I want to be loud and noticeable, but I also respect others and would like to maintain some peace on my street when I'm coming home late
Honestly on my GT I used to have slp loud mouths and a off road pipe and it was loud but annoying and it got attention easily but also negetive too. Then I switched to something not so loud that had better sound. Id say a straight through muffler like the stingers with a off road pipe will attract all sorts of attention just not all of it good lol.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R03GT View Post

Honestly on my GT I used to have slp loud mouths and a off road pipe and it was loud but annoying and it got attention easily but also negetive too. Then I switched to something not so loud that had better sound. Id say a straight through muffler like the stingers with a off road pipe will attract all sorts of attention just not all of it good lol.
How is the off road h pipe different from the off road x pipe? I would think the h pipe wouldnt be as raspy and would have a deeper tone
Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How is the off road h pipe different from the off road x pipe? I would think the h pipe wouldnt be as raspy and would have a deeper tone
Dont know how it would sound on the new gt's but on mine even with a off road H it sounded really raspy and sounded like a diesel/tractor/dragster it wasnt a very nice sound to me just a bunch of noise. I wouldnt recommend this combo on the new v6 either as I had a 05 v6 with slp with cats and it trumpeted all the time at wot and sometimes when I gave it the gas a little. I would stick with the borla touring which arent as loud as the stingers or a good chambered muffler with a off road pipe on a v6, but in the end its your choice since your the one who has to like hearing the sound every day.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dont know how it would sound on the new gt's but on mine even with a off road H it sounded really raspy and sounded like a diesel/tractor/dragster it wasnt a very nice sound to me just a bunch of noise. I wouldnt recommend this combo on the new v6 either as I had a 05 v6 with slp with cats and it trumpeted all the time at wot and sometimes when I gave it the gas a little. I would stick with the borla touring which arent as loud as the stingers or a good chambered muffler with a off road pipe on a v6, but in the end its your choice since your the one who has to like hearing the sound every day.
I have a v8, so I definitely want to hear the rumble and the s type is the best for that deep sound
Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have a v8, so I definitely want to hear the rumble and the s type is the best for that deep sound
Oh thought this was about a v6 exhuast that explains a lot. The s tyoe and a off road pipe should sound good. As for how loud it will be probably very but not as much as slp. That being said if you know anyone in the area with really loud cars talk to them and see if they had any trouble with cops. After I did slp and a o/r pipe 4 days later I got a fix it citation for bad mufflers. Other than that look up videos of it and remember it will be a lot louder in person. I learned that after watching videos of the slp with a o/r then did it in person.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh thought this was about a v6 exhuast that explains a lot. The s tyoe and a off road pipe should sound good. As for how loud it will be probably very but not as much as slp. That being said if you know anyone in the area with really loud cars talk to them and see if they had any trouble with cops. After I did slp and a o/r pipe 4 days later I got a fix it citation for bad mufflers. Other than that look up videos of it and remember it will be a lot louder in person. I learned that after watching videos of the slp with a o/r then did it in person.
I will, thanks man
Old 07-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

without the OR H maybe from a street over if not trying to be loud. with the OH R you'll hear my car for at least a half mile lol it's so loud. but perfect
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post

without the OR H maybe from a street over if not trying to be loud. with the OH R you'll hear my car for at least a half mile lol it's so loud. but perfect
Any difference in h pipe to x pipe?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

More rasp with a X or a H. H pipes sound deeper. Ill be switching to a X pipe when I get my LT's installed. I thibk I remember hearing that H pipes are more mellow at idol and possibly louder/quiter at wot then a X pipe or vis versa.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

An x pipe will give you a louder more raspy tone, as opposed to the h pipe which will have a quiter deep tone.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

An x pipe will give you a louder more raspy tone, as opposed to the h pipe which will have a quiter deep tone.
Thanks yall, will an after market h pipe make a better sound than stock h?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks yall, will an after market h pipe make a better sound than stock h?
Yup either off road or high flow cats itll sound better. If you can get away with it buy a off road pipe high flow cats cost twice as much cause of the cats. Why spend extra money if you dont have to? A tune or mil eliminators will get rid of the cell codes.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'll be getting the borla s type with an off road h pipe
Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like a good choice happy to have been some help to you.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like a good choice happy to have been some help to you.
Thanks guys, probably the hardest decision in my life!! Lol
Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup either off road or high flow cats itll sound better. If you can get away with it buy a off road pipe high flow cats cost twice as much cause of the cats. Why spend extra money if you dont have to? A tune or mil eliminators will get rid of the cell codes.
They dont make mil eliminators for the 11+, because they wont work. With the 11+ mustangs we also have a COT (cat over temp) feature. What this does is prevent the cats from over heating by dumping fuel into them. So even if you use mil eliminators or faulers to prevent throwing a CEL, the COT feature will still be enabled, preventing you from seeing any kind of performance gains. The only way to do it correctly is to get a tune.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They dont make mil eliminators for the 11+, because they wont work. With the 11+ mustangs we also have a COT (cat over temp) feature. What this does is prevent the cats from over heating by dumping fuel into them. So even if you use mil eliminators or faulers to prevent throwing a CEL, the COT feature will still be enabled, preventing you from seeing any kind of performance gains. The only way to do it correctly is to get a tune.
Ah this is a good point though on the newer mustangs isnt it a good idea to tune after even a axke back or a CAI? Been reading that their tunes stock are more technical than the older mustangs like mine. All that being said a tune is a good idea anyway just for tue extra power it gives and for any future mods the OP is going to be doing a tuner will be a big help.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ah this is a good point though on the newer mustangs isnt it a good idea to tune after even a axke back or a CAI? Been reading that their tunes stock are more technical than the older mustangs like mine. All that being said a tune is a good idea anyway just for tue extra power it gives and for any future mods the OP is going to be doing a tuner will be a big help.
Axlebacks dont require a tune. But most cai's do because they get rid of the stock Venturi tube. And yes, I agree. A tune is a great way to pick up some power, as well as the added benefit of being able to run with no cats, and will also be needed for most other mods.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Axlebacks dont require a tune. But most cai's do because they get rid of the stock Venturi tube. And yes, I agree. A tune is a great way to pick up some power, as well as the added benefit of being able to run with no cats, and will also be needed for most other mods.
All in all the exhuast mods + tune will give the OP very nice gains as well as sound! *thumbs up*
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

One last question guys, would an off road h pipe send a code to the cpu that trips the check engine light on?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One last question guys, would an off road h pipe send a code to the cpu that trips the check engine light on?
Yes. You will throw a CEL (check engine light). Hence the reason we said you will need a tune if you remove the cats.

Just also be aware that a tune will most likely void your powertrain warranty, so i would personally recommend you wait until you hit 8-10k miles to make sure there are no engine/transmission problems before you tune.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes. You will throw a CEL (check engine light). Hence the reason we said you will need a tune if you remove the cats.

Just also be aware that a tune will most likely void your powertrain warranty, so i would personally recommend you wait until you hit 8-10k miles to make sure there are no engine/transmission problems before you tune.
Gotcha boss, thank ya
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Gotcha boss, thank ya
No problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT