2011 GT or older? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
2011 GT or older?

I realize this may not be the correct thread to post in but please forgive me.

I have been reading loads of great material from this site. I seem to be at an impasse and require some helpful guidance and teachings. I am hoping some of you out there can fill me in.

I have always loved the Mustang. I have recently made the decision to buy one. I have my heart set on a used 2011 manual GT. I would love a 66 through 71 model and until recently thought they would be out of my budget range.

Looking online in my local auto trader I realized that both old and new are in my price range. I have a good 12 to 17 months before buy as I am in Europe right now.

So my question is, is it better to stick with new (2011) or go with the old? I have been told that the older ones are always requiring you to open your wallet to fix and keep up. Nothing beats a classic in my heart but I have to think with my heart and my head and keep my wallet in the loop too. My budget is 20 to 30K

Also with the classics are some more desirable than others? I know there is the base, premium, Mach 1, Shelby GT ect and or are there models/years I should stay away from?

Basically I am trying to do all my research now while I have the time so when the time comes I know what I want and can make the smart/right choice.

I tried a search and not much came up.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Vicham.
Vicham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
They all require you to open your wallet. If your not fixing something you will want to add something. What would be your plans for the car, would be my question. Show, daily driver, weekend warrior.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the reply.

I already have a nice parts list compiled for the 2011. I think that is the route I will go. But to answer your question I do want to upgrade it and make original to me and not keep it stock. It is going to be my summer car. I do not see myself setting it up as a track car but plan to add some power and body mods. I would say halfway between a daily driver and show car. Modding is half the fun and something I highly enjoyed with my old jeep when I had it. This is something I foresee having for a very very long time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
We have both and like stated above, they BOTH require or MAKE you open your wallet. You definitely get a LOT more attention in the older mustang. Constantly people giving thumbs up and a lot of attention when you are stopped anywhere. Not as many thumbs up in the newer Stang, just people wanting to race you.... My son's 65 restomod was his daily driver and it took a LOT of work even after we were "done" to keep it up to snuff. It is always something. We have replaced almost everything on that car. Great teaching for my son and car care, but if I were in Europe, as a daily driver, it would be a challenge with the older Stang. You would potentially be waiting for parts too many times. If it will not be your primary car, the older Stangs are as cool as they get.
His '65 restomod was a Coupe which are a dime a dozen. When we bought it, it had disc brakes, power steering & AC with a 289. We bought it as a solid base car for 5k and totally rebuilt it just how my son envisioned it. We put a lot of $ into it to do what all he wanted to do, and I called it the Cobrankenstein. It has a hood and deck lid like a '67, cobra emblems, 302 ci HP engine with a hodgepodge of add on's that he liked. Mustang "purists" scoff at it, but trust me, it is a badass daily driver that hooks up and will embarass a LOT of cars when they challenge it.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I should mention I'm currently living in Europe and will be moving back to Canada in under a year.
I do love the older Mustangs.
On autotrader.ca 65 to 71 are going for 18k plus in my parents region. I am also 6 foot 4.25 and am wondering if the older ones would be too small for me as they are a smaller car.

Deerslayer... I wish I could pick up an older model for that amount. Maybe it would be worth my while looking at something south of the boarder and Importing?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Having owned 4 Mustangs, starting with a 1968....the old car looks cool but by any measure of car performance accepted today its a joke. You need to go through every system on the old car and there's still a ton of just plain terrible stuff that can't be fixed or upgraded.

So, if the plan is to drive the car any reasonable amount of miles a year, going new is the way to go. If it's a weekend play car, either can fulfill that role, in different ways.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have a feeling it's looking more and more like a newer one. I have been told they are a little more reliable and comfortable on the road.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

They are IMMENSELY more reliable and comfortable on the road.

I grew up working on and driving cars back then and whenever people wax all nostalgic about the good old days, usually starting with some stupid statement like, "Look at them modern cars, you can't even work on 'em." I retort with, "You don't have to; they don't leave you stranded every second day."

Some golden oldies here that are gone: RUST, lousy brakes, lousy suspensions, no power, crap chassis, lousy headlights, bad wipers, useless defrosters/heaters, blowouts, wet points, vapour lock, dieseling and run-on, designed to fail electrical, jet changes, lousy gas mileage, did I mention RUST? etc. etc. etc.

These are the good old days, in case no one noticed.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Be warned! Some early 2011 cars have mt-82 transmission problems! Find on with a later build date or get a 2012 if possible. Or save your $$ for a tremec xl swap. I waited until the 2013's came out to buy. That way ford had a few years to work out some of the bugs with the new drive trains.
Not sure if you are aware of this or not but the 2011's are the first year for the new coyote/roadrunner 5.0 and mt-82 getrag manual trans
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

There's no fundamental difference between the MT on the 11s and the 12,13,14, other than phosphate coating on the gears to ease break-in and dual clutch fluid from factory. Neither of these get at what I think is the root of the MT issue, poor QC on outsourced parts, like bearings.

More significant is the early build 2011s can have clutch issues with the pressure plate bolts backing out. There's a TSB for this.

If it's made it this far and it drives right there should be no issues going forward.

Still never a good idea to get the introductory year of anything......
Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
^^ my point exactly.
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. Usually I hold true never buying something new if it just came out. Like stated it takes some years to work out the kinks. I am vying for an on off lease. One of the salesmen back home is a friend of he family. My dad has been buying fords or work for 20 plus years. I will keep the tranny issue in mind. I will add it to my list of options when sourcing.

I decided on the '11 for a few reasons. I like the 5th gen body and the new 5.0 engine in short as well as the price. This is going to be my second car/treat. It will be way cheaper than a 2012. I figure if its off lease I can let someone else pay to work out or endure any possible warrant/recall issues and get everything up to snuff or me.

It sounds like a tinny upgrade may be added to my aftermarket list.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have a 2011 cs/gt and have had the older one and less you own a shop with a lift and plan on replacing everything on the old one get the new one don't get me wrong I love the older mustangs but I wouldn't have another unless I had a shop with a lift and about 30k to put in to it and I have had no issues with my car
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

As much as I would love an older Mustang I think the more logical choice would be a new one. At least now I have an obtainable and sustainable goal to work towards for when I move back to Canada next summer.
Thank you everyone for your help and knowledge. It has been greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Since your planning on getting one next year, who knows... The new 2015 body may be a solid possibility!!
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

gtstyles2

Very true indeed. However I have seen a video of the new one and although it is covered up the body looks a lot smaller. Being 6'4+ there may be an issue of fit. But I guess I will not know until I sit in one. Also assuming that the 2015 will demand the same price as whats available now, a used car is more within my budget. But only time will tell.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicham View Post
gtstyles2

Very true indeed. However I have seen a video of the new one and although it is covered up the body looks a lot smaller. Being 6'4+ there may be an issue of fit. But I guess I will not know until I sit in one. Also assuming that the 2015 will demand the same price as whats available now, a used car is more within my budget. But only time will tell.
I'm 6'5", 270 pounds, and have zero issues with any Mustang I've had so far, to include my 2011 GT. You'll fit fine, even in an old one. I do recommend a new(er) Mustang for the multitude of issues listed here. The old ones may have style, and less complicated technology, but that isn't enough for me to warrant having one unless it's a weekend cruiser. I like having the safety, comfort, reliability, and performance of the 2011. The old ones just cannot match those traits...
Grey 2011 GT Brembo, 3.73, ARH LT headers, catted x-pipe, Borla GT500 A/B, JLT cf CAI, MGW shifter, SCT, tuned, Boss oil cooler, Ford Racing springs & adj shocks, GT500 strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard/upper & lower arms. Roush 18x10" wheels with PS2 fronts, R888 305's rear. Eibach GT500 adj swaybars, Boss IM/Strut bar/steering wheel, Ford Racing 90mm TB, GT500 wing, BMR relo brackets, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Cervini Cobra R hood, 2014 GT500 headlight & rear end retrofit...
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
^^This
I got my 2011 5.0 about 6 weeks ago and am extremely pleased. If I was going to do it all over again, I'd do it the same. It took me almost 2 months to find the car I was looking for. But the newest one that you can that is optioned out the way that you want. The safety, comfort, reliability, and beauty of the new cars is great. I'd love a classic too, but being able to have a car that is under warranty makes for nice rest at night.
fastfoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Matt k. I think you said everything I was hoping to hear or wanted to hear. You answered all my questions. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Having owned 4 Mustangs, starting with a 1968....the old car looks cool but by any measure of car performance accepted today its a joke. You need to go through every system on the old car and there's still a ton of just plain terrible stuff that can't be fixed or upgraded.

So, if the plan is to drive the car any reasonable amount of miles a year, going new is the way to go. If it's a weekend play car, either can fulfill that role, in different ways.
+1

---------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

Quote:
They are IMMENSELY more reliable and comfortable on the road.

I grew up working on and driving cars back then and whenever people wax all nostalgic about the good old days, usually starting with some stupid statement like, "Look at them modern cars, you can't even work on 'em." I retort with, "You don't have to; they don't leave you stranded every second day."

Some golden oldies here that are gone: RUST, lousy brakes, lousy suspensions, no power, crap chassis, lousy headlights, bad wipers, useless defrosters/heaters, blowouts, wet points, vapour lock, dieseling and run-on, designed to fail electrical, jet changes, lousy gas mileage, did I mention RUST? etc. etc. etc.

These are the good old days, in case no one noticed.

That sounds about right , still I love the look of a 1967 Fastback GT , but really the look is where it stops.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

What i saw when I first got a glimpse of the 2010 restyle was a modern rendition of the most beautiful Mustang ever, 1967-70 fastbacks. No way I would buy a Mustang with a 4.6 but, Ford fixed that issue for me right quick.

So, all the style, modernized, of course, and it can actually handle, stop and go in ways that old crate couldn't dream of, and get decent mileage while doing it.... Hmm, grab that with both hands and hang on. The value for money is unmatched and at least you know up front what you'll pay, unlike an old car where the sale price is just the first cost in an unknown series of payments, guaranteed.

I'm a taller fellow, too and find the top to bottom room in the car quite good and the seats surprisingly good (400a leather). Not Recaros but, good, especially compared to the bean-bag chairs in previous generations of Mustangs.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Matt k. I think you said everything I was hoping to hear or wanted to hear. You answered all my questions. Thanks.
Glad to help! Good luck! I recommend saving up for a Boss or if that's too expensive, a Brembo edition.
Grey 2011 GT Brembo, 3.73, ARH LT headers, catted x-pipe, Borla GT500 A/B, JLT cf CAI, MGW shifter, SCT, tuned, Boss oil cooler, Ford Racing springs & adj shocks, GT500 strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard/upper & lower arms. Roush 18x10" wheels with PS2 fronts, R888 305's rear. Eibach GT500 adj swaybars, Boss IM/Strut bar/steering wheel, Ford Racing 90mm TB, GT500 wing, BMR relo brackets, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Cervini Cobra R hood, 2014 GT500 headlight & rear end retrofit...
Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Glad to help! Good luck! I recommend saving up for a Boss or if that's too expensive, a Brembo edition.
I would love a boss 302. But since they came out in 2012...they are a bit out of my price range. But I can always check the market.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would love a boss 302. But since they came out in 2012...they are a bit out of my price range. But I can always check the market.
I can relate, but your wallet will thank you in the long run, since 90% of the upgrades you'll want to do are already equipped, and it will always be worth more due to it's limited production run. That being said, I opted for a 2011 Brembo GT, and have been sinking more into it each month...haha!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

B302s are strong in the market right now, holding at or about 40K or so, in many markets so, depreciation hasn't hit them nearly as hard as a regular GT a couple years old but, the starting point was a lot higher.

I picked BBP because the value was there, up front. The B302s were too heavily pumped at the dealers, like 10K over invoice so, ummm, no. Plus, in late 2011 for 2012 MY, the B302s only came stripped down in some ways, no Comfort pack, no Tech, etc.

Plus, no one ever feels bad about modifying a Mustang GT, it's nothing special and you can chart your own course with it, without totally destroying its value, like you would on a factory special, limited run car.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm I'm sure the boss would be an entire new insurance bracket too. I'm anticipating the gt to set me back with insurance but a 302 more so. Still a sweet car though?

Now here's a question. Is the Bremen break package an option or a trim pack like the California special? The premium GT California Special is what I would be looking for. Are there other trim packs or "models"?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I know lots of people like the GT/CS looks but, I don't like the fact it's a GT, minus all the performance stuff, for a premium price. It's still a limited edition car, by definition, for what that's worth.

You can duplicate the look pretty easily without compromising performance.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I know lots of people like the GT/CS looks but, I don't like the fact it's a GT, minus all the performance stuff, for a premium price. It's still a limited edition car, by definition, for what that's worth.

You can duplicate the look pretty easily without compromising performance.
Minus what performance stuff? I'm confused. To my knowledge the only items you can't get with the GT/CS is Brembo Brakes, Recaros, and they few things that come with the Track Pack cars. None of those items come with a GT Premium either. They can all be added to the GT Premiums for a cost, no different then they can be added to the GT/CS thru the classifieds and aftermarket. My '13 GT/CS came with the same 5.0L, MT-82, 8.8" Rear with 3.73s, STB, and much more that the BBP, TP, and GT-Ps have.
Now I'm not going to lie to you, if I could do it all over again. If find a gently used '11 Base GT with no options and then do as I please. But the CS had all the performance I desired and the looks.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

No BBP, no Recaros, Track pack? That's a lot of the "performance stuff" you can get on the car plus previously, you'd lose the grill lights you can make functional for valance lights you can't and, you still get narrower wheels in the bargain, too.

That GT/CS was an appearance package back in the day and it continues to primarily be one. It's just that people today won't pay a premium to buy it attached to a stripped out 289 2 bbl coupe like most did back in '68.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Now here is another can of worms. Coupe or convertible? I have always liked the coupes but my dad is trying to sway me for a convertible. A friend has an 07 and says the top requires constant tending to.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

It does and that really saps performance picking the ragtop on a tin car like this. 'verts are for stylin' the beach.

You could look for glass roof car. Not open air but surprising airy feeling.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 08-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Glass roof I think would be the best of both worlds. How available are they? We're they an oem option or part of a package?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I have no idea what she's asking for the car. But this b*tch is clean. And everything you could want and need. It's a 2012 with almost 14,000 miles. Completely left stock.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1278970074.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	123455   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1668662654.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	123456  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-732455864.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	123457  
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Glass roof I think would be the best of both worlds. How available are they? We're they an oem option or part of a package?
Oem and available all models except convert, obviously. Only 4.62% of the GT coupes in 2012 went with this option, though. They made about 4000 GT convertibles that year, out of a total production run of all models of about 88,000.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 gt