Adjusting Pinion Angle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Adjusting Pinion Angle

Just dropped car with steeda sports(1",1 1/4") and was wondering about pinion angle. Will it definitely need adjusting? If so is this something I can do on my own or should I take it to a shop? I have an adjustable upper on car already. Saw a pinion angle finder at harbor freight for 4.99. Any advice would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Forgot to add that I have a dynotech 1 piece aluminum ds.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I know with DSS and the one piece shaft with the cv shaft, DSS requires the cv shaft to be a specific length. Does dyno tech DS have anything similar

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure. Sorry but not really sure what you mean either. Specific length based off our cars or dependent on ride height?

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Got it from JPC. Didn't actually order it through dynotech with specific measurements or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Heres how you do it! first download a free digital inclonometer app on your smart phone. Jack the car up on all four tires with supported weight on the suspension. With your smart phone measure the degree angle of your drive shaft by putting your smart phone on it with that app open. Write down its degrees. Next go to the rear end and place your cell phone on the bottom of the pinion flange measure its degrees. Subtract the 2 figures and see what you come up with. Optimal pinion angle is -2 degrees. If it does not come out to that # you will have to adjust your adjustable uca. Your uca will move your rear diff either up or down depending on which way you turn it. -2 degrees leaves your rear diff pointing slightly downward in relation to the driveshaft. The theory being that when you accellerate your rear diff moves up to a perfect 0 alignment with your drive shaft thus removing any alignment or vibration issues! With a dynotech shaft you must do this. With a dss drive shaft with cv joint it is only important to get the shaft housing end distance to the cv joint between 3 and 1/4 inches and 3 and 3/4 inches no optimal angle is needed!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Great, thanks for the info
Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I was told -3.0 was the ideal pinion angle. This is in relation to the trans flange.
Correct me if I'm wrong as this info could be incorrect?
With the suspension weighted and the car level place an angle finder on the trans flange. Record. Then place the angle finder on the pinion flange. Record. Ex: if the trans flange is -0.5deg then the pinion should be -3.5deg. Ideal angle being between -2.5 to -3.0deg

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

This being for the stock ds
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
I was told -3.0 was the ideal pinion angle. This is in relation to the trans flange.
Correct me if I'm wrong as this info could be incorrect?
With the suspension weighted and the car level place an angle finder on the trans flange. Record. Then place the angle finder on the pinion flange. Record. Ex: if the trans flange is -0.5deg then the pinion should be -3.5deg. Ideal angle being between -2.5 to -3.0deg

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

This being for the stock ds
Its really easy to do. A correct pinion
angle should be anywhere from -1.5 to -3.
Here is a simple diagram to help. Basically you measure from #1, write it down, measure from #2, find the difference. #1 - #2= pinion angle. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130801_100914.png
Views:	1200
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	121532  
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Its really easy to do. A correct pinion
angle should be anywhere from -1.5 to -3.
Here is a simple diagram to help. Basically you measure from #1, write it down, measure from #2, find the difference. #1 - #2= pinion angle. Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

It Should be noted that the car need not be perfectly leveled front to back. This is because you are looking for the angular difference between the pinion and the rear drive shaft.

The negative sign indicates that the pinion should be pointing down relative to the rear driveshaft. This is when the car is at rest. When you hit the gas pedal from rest, as the rear wheels spin forward, the axle reaction would be the opposite. Thus, The angular difference between the pinion and the rear drive shaft will be near zero.

have seen in previous postings the acceptable range to be between -3.0 and -1.5. For drag racing, the higher angle is desired. But for daily driving. An angle of -1.5 to -2.0 may be more desirable.
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhalil View Post

It Should be noted that the car need not be perfectly leveled front to back. This is because you are looking for the angular difference between the pinion and the rear drive shaft.

The negative sign indicates that the pinion should be pointing down relative to the rear driveshaft. This is when the car is at rest. When you hit the gas pedal from rest, as the rear wheels spin forward, the axle reaction would be the opposite. Thus, The angular difference between the pinion and the rear drive shaft will be near zero.

have seen in previous postings the acceptable range to be between -3.0 and -1.5. For drag racing, the higher angle is desired. But for daily driving. An angle of -1.5 to -2.0 may be more desirable.
Agree 100%. Car should also have the suspension LOADED in the front and rear.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT