Question about no cats - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Question about no cats

I just got my cats removed yesterday, I had a shop replace my x pipe with an off road H pipe. My Xpipe was welded in so I couldn't do it myself. Ordered new tunes from Bama; thought I'd try the came tune and hybrid tune out.

First, my car is louder than I expected it to be, I have the hushpower ABs w/ no resonator. It sounds good idling and driving at low RPMs, but gets a bit raspy on higher RPMs.

Second, I tried the cam tune out first and other than when it's idling I don't like it. Sounds really cool idling but makes it difficult to drive in stop and go traffic.
WCatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #2

Region: Virginia
Sorry, what is the question about no cats?
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Im guessing you want to know how to quiet it down? Well first you could put some resonators back on, and if that isnt quiet enough what I would do is change mufflers, id get the borla s type and keep the off road h pipe, to me, that has the best sound possible from a coyote. But if you want quieter still, put cats back on and get an after cat h pipe, itll give it more sound but not near as much as with an off road pipe, and the borlas sound the best, hardly no rasp except a tiny bit with the h pipe, and its not overly loud, but its got some sound to it
2013 gt premium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

This is not my DD, so I'm good with the level of sound but would like to decrease the rasp.
Also, is it just the cam tune that give the car this smell? It didn't smell on the way home yesterday.

I'm glad it sounds like a muscle car now, but don't like the rasp.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #5

Region: Virginia
The smell should be from not having cats. I would say put it back the cats or put resonator in there just like 2013 gt Premium suggested.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCatoe View Post
This is not my DD, so I'm good with the level of sound but would like to decrease the rasp.
Also, is it just the cam tune that give the car this smell? It didn't smell on the way home yesterday.

I'm glad it sounds like a muscle car now, but don't like the rasp.
WCatoe,

As stated above, the smell is from not having catalytic converters. The Bama Cam tune may cause the smell to increase slightly because of the additional fuel used, but most is from the O/R Hpipe.

If the exhaust is too raspy for you, you may want to try another mufflers. A larger chambered muffler will help quiet down the exhaust slightly and remove most of the rasp. I highly suggest checking out the Magnaflow Street axleback. They'll give you the tone you're looking for!

Give me a shout if you have more questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldnt suggest anything other than borla or steeda/kooks mufflers, in my opinion flowmaster sounds ok, stay away from roush period, and magnaflow doesnt sound good at all... even at idle it sounds like nothing but drone at 2250 rpm, sounds horrible, borla s type, expensive but has no rasp and no drone, except with an or pipe

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

And get rid of the x pipe for an or h pipe, better sound, has less rasp, theres a video on YouTube with the setup im telling you about, its called "2013 mustang gt borla stype with off road h pipe"
Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 gt premium View Post
I wouldnt suggest anything other than borla or steeda/kooks mufflers, in my opinion flowmaster sounds ok, stay away from roush period, and magnaflow doesnt sound good at all... even at idle it sounds like nothing but drone at 2250 rpm, sounds horrible, borla s type, expensive but has no rasp and no drone, except with an or pipe

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

And get rid of the x pipe for an or h pipe, better sound, has less rasp, theres a video on YouTube with the setup im telling you about, its called "2013 mustang gt borla stype with off road h pipe"
What? Borla S has rasp with no cats? Damnit I was planning to install cat deletes later. Will putting in resonators help any?
JayblesStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayblesStang View Post

What? Borla S has rasp with no cats? Damnit I was planning to install cat deletes later. Will putting in resonators help any?
Honestly man, just go watch that video, I think its exactly what you would want to hear, just the axlebacks, borla stype has no rasp, no drone, just a deep and semi loud tone, the closest thing to a 4 barrel big block I could find, has a nice rumble at idle and has that bwah bwah bwah sound when accelerating lol, but the rasp with or h pipe and s type mufflers is minimal and is the best sounding exhaust ive heard man
Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayblesStang View Post

Well I did a resonator delete with my s types, there is a slight bit of rasp but not bad at all... Sounds great actually
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have the resonator delete too. Im just wondering how this system will sound with no cats. Ill prob put some resonators in if its just too loud.

Any advice on resonators or should I get a custom one. Dynomax? What length is sufficient
Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Before i took my cats off of my 03 gt. I had 40 sieries flomasters and it haD no rasp. It had the stock h pipe with the cats. I removed the cats and h pipe installed a o/r x pipe and it made it a lot more raspy at higher rpms. The x pipe is more raspy than the h but the no cats will in crease the rasp. You may have to play with the mufflers if you don't want to reinstall the cats.

03 Sonic Blue CONVERTIBLE W/STYLE BAR AND SPEEDSTER COVER AND 18X10W/275/35 REAR AND 18X9W/245/45 FRONT. OFF ROAD X-PIPE 40 SIERIES FLOMASTERS AND CAI.
Allans03ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Have magnaflow streetr axleback, Now Bassani

I took off a set of Magnaflow street axleback mufflers when I installed my full exhaust. A.R. LT headers, A.R. 3" Xpipe no cats, and Bassani race axleback. I love the way this setup sounds no drone and just the right amount of rasp for me. PM me if interested in the Magnaflow Street axleback.
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
i wouldnt suggest anything other than borla or steeda/kooks mufflers, in my opinion flowmaster sounds ok, stay away from roush period, and magnaflow doesnt sound good at all... Even at idle it sounds like nothing but drone at 2250 rpm, sounds horrible, borla s type, expensive but has no rasp and no drone, except with an or pipe

---------- post added at 12:03 pm ---------- previous post was at 12:02 pm ----------

and get rid of the x pipe for an or h pipe, better sound, has less rasp, theres a video on youtube with the setup im telling you about, its called "2013 mustang gt borla stype with off road h pipe"
i think he said he did remove the x and installed a o/r h

03 Sonic Blue CONVERTIBLE W/STYLE BAR AND SPEEDSTER COVER AND 18X10W/275/35 REAR AND 18X9W/245/45 FRONT. OFF ROAD X-PIPE 40 SIERIES FLOMASTERS AND CAI.
Allans03ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allans03ragtop View Post

i think he said he did remove the x and installed a o/r h
+1, I misread that, tryin to work on a dirt bike and talk on a forum isnt the easiest! Haha
Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So I put the hybrid tune on and the smell is way better and almost gone. I will give it awhile to see if I can get use to the rasp. Maybe try some resonators, we will see.
There is a noticeable improvement without cats and I love this Hybrid tune.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why not try the cheap GT500 AB's to quieten it down a bit and get rid of the rasp. Mine sounds awesome with the resonators still in place and no cats, coming from 10-series Flowmaster 1-chambers that were insanely loud/raspy.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I had gt500s with no resonators. Sounded great but heavy and not loud enough for me. Tips dont look as good as the borla s type either.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I also thought about putting dynomax race bullets where the resonators use to be. Anybody does this?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have steeda cat deletes with flowmaster American thunder classic ab's. at idle and up to 3krpm it sounds great! But after 3k rpm it turns into a raspy tin canny sounding monster! The drone rattles change in my cup holders! It's of my understanding ALL flowmasters drone bad! I'm ditching them for frpp gt500's! Then long tubes and mid pipe. I have a buddy with kooks long tubes, matching mid pipe, stock ota pipes with gt500's and it sounds ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! No drone, popping, cracking, or rasp! The gt500's are one of only a few that actually sound BETTER when you open up the flow in the exhaust. IE cat deletes, o/r H/X, long tubes, resonator deletes ect.. And there just over 300$!!
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
I have steeda cat deletes with flowmaster American thunder classic ab's. at idle and up to 3krpm it sounds great! But after 3k rpm it turns into a raspy tin canny sounding monster! The drone rattles change in my cup holders! It's of my understanding ALL flowmasters drone bad! I'm ditching them for frpp gt500's! Then long tubes and mid pipe. I have a buddy with kooks long tubes, matching mid pipe, stock ota pipes with gt500's and it sounds ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! No drone, popping, cracking, or rasp! The gt500's are one of only a few that actually sound BETTER when you open up the flow in the exhaust. IE cat deletes, o/r H/X, long tubes, resonator deletes ect.. And there just over 300$!!
I agree, I listened to all the GT500 video clips and hoped they'd sound that good in person, they did not disappoint. I may delete the resonators eventually, but for now I'm still in love with them
Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

magnaflow streets are raspy as hell, go with gt500's and save a BUNCH of money and get the sound your looking for, ask anyone with gt500's and they will tell you, ZERO RASP
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I actually have a set of 409 stainless steel FRPP gt500 mufflers for sale. Pm me if interested.

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT