FRPP Sport axle back not loud enough - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
FRPP Sport axle back not loud enough

I went with the Ford Racing Sport thinking it was close to the Borla S type. Spoke with the Borla guys and they said they make the Frpp and it is similar to the s type. Well. it is deep and throaty, but not loud enough at wot for me. I guess I will have to upgrade to get the sound I want.
Thunder69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yes you will, good luck there are 10,875,122 threads of the best exhaust for the 11+. Time to start reading.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm wondering if the Ford racing x pipe will wake it up at wot. Don't really want to shell out for another set of mufflers. It sounds great up to 3k rpm, but doesn't get much louder above that. Looking for a little scream at wot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
An off road h or x pipe will get you there
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder69 View Post
I went with the Ford Racing Sport thinking it was close to the Borla S type. Spoke with the Borla guys and they said they make the Frpp and it is similar to the s type. Well. it is deep and throaty, but not loud enough at wot for me. I guess I will have to upgrade to get the sound I want.
Do you know how that compares to the GT 500 mufflers?

I have the Roush axel back, I love them but considering trading for the 500s.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks ThinBlue, have you experienced this yourself? Stock is already an H ad I understand, granted not offroad.

Ftodaro, if you listen to late model restoration video of the FRPP Sport, it is pretty accurate. I thought it would be much louder under load above 3k, but not so much now that I have it. It sounds good, just doesnt bark at higher revs like my magnaflow catback used to on my mach 1.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
U definitely don't have to change your axlebacks, they are probably one of the best out there, if messing with the factory H pipe isn't in your best interest right now, u can delete the dented in resonator for a little extra sound with a straight pipe at an exhaust shop. Should run u about $100-$150, did it to mine and it made a pretty significant difference at WOT and this is with my S types which is about the same as the Ford Racing Sport

http://youtu.be/aTrTAOmLVvY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2089752989.png
Views:	309
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	121805   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1487260815.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	121806  

gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
The sports are loud with LT's and offroad x pipe... Ask me how I know lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds like a good route to go grabber blue. Do you have the frpp or borla? Wish I could hear it!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
my setup

Im running American racing long tubes and 3" O/R X-pipe and bassani's race axle back. I get complements every time I drive the car. Last night at the drag strip a guy with the 23 COBRA JET of 2010 told me my car sounded wicked for a street car. But its really up to you
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Do u hand a clip of your setup? Looking to go Lt's and an offroad pipe soon.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yep!

http://youtu.be/cS-GT8bgTRk

Enjoy, hopefully I'll have another soon

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
You do want to drive around town without being stopped every 5 minutes for a loud car?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

You do want to drive around town without being stopped every 5 minutes for a loud car?
never been pulled over for a loud car and I had borla ataks...
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
It really depends on where you live. I've been pulled over for Roush mufflers with longtubes...
Grey 2011 GT Brembo, 3.73, ARH LT headers, catted x-pipe, Borla GT500 A/B, JLT cf CAI, MGW shifter, SCT, tuned, Boss oil cooler, Ford Racing springs & adj shocks, GT500 strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard/upper & lower arms. Roush 18x10" wheels with PS2 fronts, R888 305's rear. Eibach GT500 adj swaybars, Boss IM/Strut bar/steering wheel, Ford Racing 90mm TB, GT500 wing, BMR relo brackets, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Cervini Cobra R hood, 2014 GT500 headlight & rear end retrofit...
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Did you upgrade to LT's and off road x at the same time. I just sold my roush and am buying gt500 and very next purchase is x pipe. Did they get loud with the x pipe. Also. Which x did you go with.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Did you upgrade to LT's and off road x at the same time. I just sold my roush and am buying gt500 and very next purchase is x pipe. Did they get loud with the x pipe. Also. Which x did you go with.
I added longtubes and a CATTED X-pipe, and it was too loud...I can't imagine how bad it would be with an offroad. I went to GT500's, and it's perfect now.
Grey 2011 GT Brembo, 3.73, ARH LT headers, catted x-pipe, Borla GT500 A/B, JLT cf CAI, MGW shifter, SCT, tuned, Boss oil cooler, Ford Racing springs & adj shocks, GT500 strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard/upper & lower arms. Roush 18x10" wheels with PS2 fronts, R888 305's rear. Eibach GT500 adj swaybars, Boss IM/Strut bar/steering wheel, Ford Racing 90mm TB, GT500 wing, BMR relo brackets, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Cervini Cobra R hood, 2014 GT500 headlight & rear end retrofit...
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. I don't plan on headers in the near future unfortunately.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

No, I already had the offroad x pipe with roush mufflers, then I got tired of the toneless noise dump that they project so I upgraded to the FRPP sports. An x pipe will not necessarily make your exhaust louder, but going catless will. I had the UPR/BBR/lethal x pipe but when I upgraded to LT's I went with stainless works offroad midpipe. GT500's will be pretty mellow even with the offroad exhaust, but will still be louder

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah. I don't plan on headers in the near future unfortunately.
If you do plan on eventually getting long tubes on the future, try to go with that manufacturers midpipe. These will cost more but will often be modular, and they can be used with the stock manifold as well as that manufacturers LT's. it'll save money later when you do get the long tubes.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you do plan on eventually getting long tubes on the future, try to go with that manufacturers midpipe. These will cost more but will often be modular, and they can be used with the stock manifold as well as that manufacturers LT's. it'll save money later when you do get the long tubes.
So if I get stainless off road x and gt500. It will sound louder than just the gt500's. and will also net me more hp due to the off road x pipe. And when I decide to go to long tubes ill just get stainless.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

So if I get stainless off road x and gt500. It will sound louder than just the gt500's. and will also net me more hp due to the off road x pipe. And when I decide to go to long tubes ill just get stainless.
Actually, after looking a little more at them, they don't seem to be as easily interchangeable as I thought. You should be able to use the x pipe you bought but you would have to buy a short straight pipe to replace the long bent portion to fit with the long tube headers

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Actually, after looking a little more at them, they don't seem to be as easily interchangeable as I thought. You should be able to use the x pipe you bought but you would have to buy a short straight pipe to replace the long bent portion to fit with the long tube headers
I haven't bought a x-pipe. I have roush. But am selling them and getting gt500's. I want to buy an off road x-pipe next bc those delete the cats from what I understand (off road) an will give me more hp. I actually don't know to much about the whole exhaust. But didn't want to start a whole new forum for this.
If I go (brand) off road x-pipe and gt500's ab's. that should net me more hp then regular exhaust due to the off road x pipe deleting the cats?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I haven't bought a x-pipe. I have roush. But am selling them and getting gt500's. I want to buy an off road x-pipe next bc those delete the cats from what I understand (off road) an will give me more hp. I actually don't know to much about the whole exhaust. But didn't want to start a whole new forum for this.
If I go (brand) off road x-pipe and gt500's ab's. that should net me more hp then regular exhaust due to the off road x pipe deleting the cats?
Absolutely, going catless will yield higher gains than any other exhaust upgrade you can make on the 11+ 5.0

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Cut the resonators out. Maybe 100 bucks at an exhaust shop. Won't lose any hp or anything. Won't gain either. Still keep all the cats no messing with O2 sensors. And I went from roush axle back to cutting the resonators out. And hot damn it opened it up. And you only hear it at WOT normal driving conditions. Not even noticeable.
Brembo Brake package, 3.73s, Roush axle-back exhaust, 20% tint all around, All lights and reflectors tinted gun smoke, 20X8.5 and 20x10 wheels and tires, Lowered 1.5" with Eibach pro springs, J&M panhard bar, BBK CAI, Bama 93R tune, JLT oil separator, Black "5.0" badge, Black billet shift knob
Yuckooo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Absolutely, going catless will yield higher gains than any other exhaust upgrade you can make on the 11+ 5.0
Alright. Thanks for the reassurance brother. Is it a hard job changing the x pipe??
Old 08-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Alright. Thanks for the reassurance brother. Is it a hard job changing the x pipe??
Depends.
The more ground clearance you have the better.
I put my mid pipe in using jacks and stuff
I later took it to an exhaust shop and they straightened everything out for 30 bucks
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Depends.
The more ground clearance you have the better.
I put my mid pipe in using jacks and stuff
I later took it to an exhaust shop and they straightened everything out for 30 bucks
Alright. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckooo13 View Post
Cut the resonators out. Maybe 100 bucks at an exhaust shop. Won't lose any hp or anything. Won't gain either. Still keep all the cats no messing with O2 sensors. And I went from roush axle back to cutting the resonators out. And hot damn it opened it up. And you only hear it at WOT normal driving conditions. Not even noticeable.
This sounds like a good option to wake up my FRPP axle back, although I am worried it won't have the deep rumble. Tough decision to cut them out hoping it won't ruin the sweet low rumble in the low rpms.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This sounds like a good option to wake up my FRPP axle back, although I am worried it won't have the deep rumble. Tough decision to cut them out hoping it won't ruin the sweet low rumble in the low rpms.
Like Yuckooo said resonator deletes make them pretty loud at WOT while lower rpms remains about the same. I'm also into the deep rumble, I'm very happy with the deletes, but it made mine a bit raspier a WOT, but not bad at all, just sounds more beastly... I don't plan on doing anything else to it exhaust wise anytime soon, sounds about perfect IMHO
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I just got my GT500 Axleback installed and I was also wondering about cutting the resonators. I think it's sounds awesome now I'd just like for it to be a little louder at idle and acceleration but no drone. Can anyone who has done this chime in?
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Like Yuckooo said resonator deletes make them pretty loud at WOT while lower rpms remains about the same. I'm also into the deep rumble, I'm very happy with the deletes, but it made mine a bit raspier a WOT, but not bad at all, just sounds more beastly... I don't plan on doing anything else to it exhaust wise anytime soon, sounds about perfect IMHO
Do you know if deleting the resonators will void your warranty??
Jago1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jago1021 View Post

Do you know if deleting the resonators will void your warranty??
No it will not void a warranty. And for an update I deleted my resonators for my gt500 Axleback and it sounds so much better. It's louder but not too loud and there's still no drone on the highway. Anyone thinking about doing it should.
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie12V6 View Post

No it will not void a warranty. And for an update I deleted my resonators for my gt500 Axleback and it sounds so much better. It's louder but not too loud and there's still no drone on the highway. Anyone thinking about doing it should.
Thanks for the info. Will be doing it next.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I just got my GT500 Axleback installed and I was also wondering about cutting the resonators. I think it's sounds awesome now I'd just like for it to be a little louder at idle and acceleration but no drone. Can anyone who has done this chime in?
I made a thread recently about it. I had mine cut off. Sounds a bit louder at idle and under acceleration but I love that the exhaust pops more on decel.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Quote:

Good call! I agree.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT