Zex nmu 2011+ 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Zex nmu 2011+ 5.0

I have a zex blackout kit that I am "attempting" to install on my 2013 5.0. I'm having an issue programming the nmu. Everything is wired correctly. There IS 4.5vdc present when I open the TB by hand. I pressed the button to place the nmu to put it in teach mode (red led) then go to the peddle and hold it for 10 seconds like the instructions say. At this point the led should flash red,green, then off. YEAH IT JUST STAYS RED! Driving me NUTS! Anyone familiar with this set up?
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

No body is running a zex TPS on the throttle by wire??
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
Old 08-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

2 issues found for those who want to know?

1 the resistor was broke in the shrink tuning. Had to re soldier the resistor in.
2 once the connection was fixed the TPS box wouldn't learn correctly. Once thought the solenoids would open at 1/4 throttle. Tried various methods of "cheating" it but no luck. The zex instructions say to use the green w/ violet stripe wire at the TB harness (rising voltage). I ended up using the BROWN wire (falling voltage) which has the solenoids opening just before the peddle touches the floor.
I can tell everyone rite now this will be the LAST zex product I ever buy! Yes the kit will WORK but there's to many things that can go wrong and there tech support is shotty at best! It's a good thing I got this stuff for a DEAL or it would be going back!! I may crack this box open and wire directly to the solenoids, run a micro switch with my msd window switch and call it a day.? Relay and msd w/s going in next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nitrous express or nitrous outlet. I am not a fan of zex at all.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Nitrous express or nitrous outlet. I am not a fan of zex at all.
As of now I am not either! I've installed and used n2o on other cars but they were base NX NO kits with micro and window switches. Never with this throttle by wire crap. For what these kits cost new you'd think they came with a progressive controller of some sort? Not just say DO NOT ACTIVATE BELOW 2500RPM OR HIT THE REV LIMITER!?!? It's to easy for bad things to happen with these kits! And there supposed to be designed for the coyote 5.0? I don't think so Tim! Lol the kit doesn't even come with a bottle gauge! Smfh
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post

As of now I am not either! I've installed and used n2o on other cars but they were base NX NO kits with micro and window switches. Never with this throttle by wire crap. For what these kits cost new you'd think they came with a progressive controller of some sort? Not just say DO NOT ACTIVATE BELOW 2500RPM OR HIT THE REV LIMITER!?!? It's to easy for bad things to happen with these kits! And there supposed to be designed for the coyote 5.0? I don't think so Tim! Lol the kit doesn't even come with a bottle gauge! Smfh
I have never liked zex. I use nitrous express also used nitrous express on my bike.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #7

Region: Florida
Spent several late nights w/ about same issue. Yet my instructions say use my yellow TPS wire to their white w/ res. after learn mode, I turned bottle on w/ intake off TB as I armed the sys. Nitrous blows out intake. Hum. I was to only arm it.. After numerous NOS sites & you tube videos, ( all saying yellow wire ) I probed TPS to find yellow is my reg. signal 5v... After finding signal wire & tapping it. It stated blowing 15a fuse. So I went back to ref. wire & put mom. Button in line. Still pop fuses. Zex tech says: send it back & we'll repair or replace. Really ?? Never had this problem from something as simple.. NX plate or NyTrex Triple threat if Zex won't come to the plate & make it right.
K.Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm having the same issue. Trying to run a msd window switch and the zex nmu together. I've tried all ways people tell me to wire it and nothing seems to work. Read plenty of write ups, looked at diagrams and still nothing. I've just given up. It is still hooked up in car by no power going to it. I've checked and triple checked all wires and voltage. I know they are both working in unison like they are suppose to but the d%%m thing will not spray. It's like once the nmu has learned the tps and all is wired up, it quiets reading the tps sensor and will not spray. I've bought a micro switch for the pedal. And I'm going to try that next. Do any of you have a detail wiring diagram "PICTURE" that I can use to wire it. Zex reps say my nmu is bad. But I can hook it up directly and it works but will not work with the msd window swith.. I need 8k for a charger screw this nitrous. Zex is crap and so are there rep.
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT