Aftermarket oil separator - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Aftermarket oil separator

What's the benefit of these?

I don't have oil in my intake or anything, I was just curious to get more info on this

On another note, I've heard complaints about engine ticking in the 800 range. Anyone have any issues with this and if so, is it fixable?
SOLD: '06 Pontiac GTO(M6)
"I cheated on GM with Ford... Don't tell Dodge!"
dj_fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Oil separators or "catch cans" catch oil from the crank case fumes recirculating back into the intake. Any and every car has some oil in their crank case fumes, but some are definitely worse than others. Regardless, it's a nice upgrade on any car to prevent oil from getting to the intake. I highly suggest picking one up if you like to drive your Mustang aggressively.

Hope this info helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I saw no signs of oil in my breather system either, so, I am surprised at the amount that does get collected in my JLT passenger side unit between my oil changes. It has got to be better for any motor not to breath so much oil mist....
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I also had no signs, my car just hit 2k miles, got it for piece of mind, did a few passes and a 200 mile drive and id say there was about a teaspoons worth of oil in the JLT unit
13 GT Premium 3:73 JLT Boss IM Lethal OR/X Ford Racing Mufflers
s1975OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1975OH View Post
I also had no signs, my car just hit 2k miles, got it for piece of mind, did a few passes and a 200 mile drive and id say there was about a teaspoons worth of oil in the JLT unit
Yup, that's exactly what I've seen on all of our Mustangs. Except for the amount that we track our Mustang, it tends to build up pretty quick after a month. Which is fine, as long as it's not being burnt in the combustion chamber!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I've been running my jlt can since the car was new with 80 miles on it. I swapped out to a boss intake manifold and the stocker was SOAKED with oil! Then after only a few hundred miles I took the boss off and installed the stocker. The boss was soaked at that point. The can has never had more than a few drops in it and the driver side line shows NO SIGNS of oil. If I had to guess I'd say the JLT unit isn't working that well? Also the way it installs isn't great plus the fittings are cheap.
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
I've been running my jlt can since the car was new with 80 miles on it. I swapped out to a boss intake manifold and the stocker was SOAKED with oil! Then after only a few hundred miles I took the boss off and installed the stocker. The boss was soaked at that point. The can has never had more than a few drops in it and the driver side line shows NO SIGNS of oil. If I had to guess I'd say the JLT unit isn't working that well? Also the way it installs isn't great plus the fittings are cheap.
ddinn25,

It's strange your catch can isn't gathering any oil when your intake manifold is wet. Something doesn't sound right here, I've never seen anyone have this issue with their JLT catch can before. I know it would be really hard to, but it's definitely installed correctly right? The lines can't be switched?

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It does gather SOME oil but by no means fills it up. In my opinion the can isn't large enough to capture ALL of the oil vapor.
I can bet $$ that anyone who has ran this jlt can for a wile can pull there intake manifolds and will see a good amount of oil build up. I've been apart of 5 different cars that swapped intakes/blowers. 3 had cans (including mine) and 2 did not. None had any more or any less build up than the other. They were all about the same.
Bottom line is there really not necessary. I'd spend the 100+$ on something else. Even the blower cars like roush and Shelby don't not have catch cans from the factory which is what these cans were supposedly designed for
If you HAVE TO have a catch can on your car I would look into a kit from summit racing or jegs. These kits have WAY better fittings, lines, and have a larger canister. Plus there about 40$ cheaper
I will be eliminating the lines all together and installing breathers and plugging the intakes.
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Bobs blue oval can is what the big blower gt500 guys run.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The JLT separators do not collect all the oil.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Correct. I just pulled my TB off earlier to install my NX plate, and felt a slight film inside the intake. Not much but there was some residue on my finger. My JLT separator collects about a tablespoon of oil every 3k miles though.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dang, I just put mine on 500 ago! So far its caught about a teaspoon or so. Think theres a better catch can out there or better off just selling it since its still letting oil through?
PW12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try putting folding a new coffee filter in your can. It will soak it up. I still am only getting about a teaspoon every 250 miles. On this time, I am going to 500 to see if there is anymore getting in.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW12GT View Post
Dang, I just put mine on 500 ago! So far its caught about a teaspoon or so. Think theres a better catch can out there or better off just selling it since its still letting oil through?
Breathers are the answer. That's what I and several others use.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1000
Old 08-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I may have to look into getting breathers. Now the breathers will go where the jlt separator clips onto the valve cover? Also (im sure its been covered), what breathers do most of you run? Thanks
PW12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Breathers are an answer to oil in the intake but, they can make your car stink if conditions are right. Keep this in mind. The air inlet for the HVAC is underhood at the cowl behind the battery. Also, slowly but surely, the breathers get saturated and start misting the engine bay with liquid oil. They need to be looked after and not ignored, same as a catch can.

All the breather boys are about to start yelling at me that this never, ever, ever happens but, it can.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
All the breather boys are about to start yelling at me that this never, ever, ever happens but, it can.
No you're probably correct that at some point the breathers will need to be washed. I haven't had to wash mine yet but I don't put a lot of miles on my car.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Try putting some steel wool in the catch can. It acts as a medium for the oil to grab to. When I did that my catch can started to fill up a lot faster.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT