HID upgrade question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

HID upgrade question

I have a 12 GT with the stock front end (fog lights on the grill) and everything has the ugly yellow halogen bulbs in them. I would like to upgrade to HID's to help see better at night. I was wondering if they make an HID harness that will work on both headlight bulbs and fog light bulb or do I have to buy 2 separate harnesses (4 total ballasts?). Also I was told 4300k-6000k is a good brightness, is this true?! Any help is greatly appreciated!!
blackmustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmustang12 View Post
I have a 12 GT with the stock front end (fog lights on the grill) and everything has the ugly yellow halogen bulbs in them. I would like to upgrade to HID's to help see better at night. I was wondering if they make an HID harness that will work on both headlight bulbs and fog light bulb or do I have to buy 2 separate harnesses (4 total ballasts?). Also I was told 4300k-6000k is a good brightness, is this true?! Any help is greatly appreciated!!
No you will need two separate HID kits, because your fog lights and headlights require a different style of bulb. I prefer 4300k (white) because its very clean in my opinion, but unless you have projector housings you will blind everyone on the road with HIDs. My car didn't have factory HIDs so I opted out for raxiom projectors and upgraded to HIDs. The light output is excellent with 4300k hid fogs and 4300k hid headlights. The fog lights will require capped bulbs if you don't want to blind everyone and the projectors will create a cutoff so that the light doesn't scatter all over the road. Here is a shot of my night time lights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2023989315.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	122106  
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat

No you will need two separate HID kits, because your fog lights and headlights require a different style of bulb. I prefer 4300k (white) because its very clean in my opinion, but unless you have projector housings you will blind everyone on the road with HIDs. My car didn't have factory HIDs so I opted out for raxiom projectors and upgraded to HIDs. The light output is excellent with 4300k hid fogs and 4300k hid headlights. The fog lights will require capped bulbs if you don't want to blind everyone and the projectors will create a cutoff so that the light doesn't scatter all over the road. Here is a shot of my night time lights
Wow, the lighting looks great! Thanks for the pic. I never even thought about upgrading to projectors, but I sure don't wanna blind people so I guess I will have to if I want HID's. Was it much of a pain to install the new raxioms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
You could also install a set of Sylvania Ultra halogen light bulbs to make things easier. They won't be as bright or white as an HID, but they're cheaper and easier to install. Plus, they'll definitely be much brighter than stock and more white!

Just wanted to give you another easy option. Of course, Raxiom HID lights and a factory HID kit would be awesome too!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
You could also install a set of Sylvania Ultra halogen light bulbs to make things easier. They won't be as bright or white as an HID, but they're cheaper and easier to install. Plus, they'll definitely be much brighter than stock and more white!

Just wanted to give you another easy option. Of course, Raxiom HID lights and a factory HID kit would be awesome too!

Shane
Thanks Shane! I definitely have considered just upgrading to a brighter bulb, would save me a lot of money haha. If I do decide to go with Raxioms HID lights and the factory HID kit, do you guys sell everything I would need?!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
here's what HID grill fogs plus HID heads look like:

IMG_0898_zps2729bc14.jpg Photo by 5lho | Photobucket

No caps, cutoff is as stock on the fogs, as is the pattern. I don't run them at night in town as they are a little strong for oncoming drivers, due to the reflector configuration and light positioning.

Highly effective. Don't waste your time with upgrade bulbs. They plain don't deliver what HIDs can and you'd be better served putting the money towards a full HID conversion. Plus, their lifespan is pretty short, too.

I wouldn't do an HID conversion on the standard headlights. That's for sure going to annoy everyone as they are main lights, not switchable fogs. I'd save up for a full HID light + bulb package.

In the meantime, make do with some 35 watt HID in 4300K in the fogs. That'll give you the most boost in light output. You will find the factory wiring is up to this, no problem. You may have to take the fuse up to 20 from 15 amps to counter the light-off spike, which'll eventually pop it.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
here's what HID grill fogs plus HID heads look like:

IMG_0898_zps2729bc14.jpg Photo by 5lho | Photobucket

No caps, cutoff is as stock on the fogs, as is the pattern. I don't run them at night in town as they are a little strong for oncoming drivers, due to the reflector configuration and light positioning.

Highly effective. Don't waste your time with upgrade bulbs. They plain don't deliver what HIDs can and you'd be better served putting the money towards a full HID conversion. Plus, their lifespan is pretty short, too.

I wouldn't do an HID conversion on the standard headlights. That's for sure going to annoy everyone as they are main lights, not switchable fogs. I'd save up for a full HID light + bulb package.

In the meantime, make do with some 35 watt HID in 4300K in the fogs. That'll give you the most boost in light output. You will find the factory wiring is up to this, no problem. You may have to take the fuse up to 20 from 15 amps to counter the light-off spike, which'll eventually pop it.
Man they look great! What a difference from stock! I think I will continue saving and buy the proper headlights I need so I don't blind people. Do u think if u had caps on ur HID fogs, it would be less bright and able to keep them on for town driving?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No. The reflector design is full width fog, top to bottom. A cap won't stop that from being bright. It isn't the tip light that's bright, it's the entire reflector, I'll show you:

IMG_0896_zps92428e61.jpg Photo by 5lho | Photobucket

You should not and really can't cap an HID bulb, unless the light has a cap already built in. There is a big gauge wire than goes to the tip of the bulb standard. A cap can concentrate heat quite nastily and even though HIDs are only 35 watts, they run pretty hot at the bulb.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ohh ok, I understand now. Those fogs are real bright, that's insane haha. 4300k seems to be a good color
Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
what would this do?

what if he put tinted fog light covers over the fogs like I have? I am also thinking about doing the Raxiom projector headlights and HID's then getting rid of my stock grill and fog lights for the Saleen 4 bar grill. I've kinda been thinking that I could modify the stock grill by cutting open all of the honeycombs that are filled in and just ditching the fog lights, I'm trying to get as much air to flow into the radiator as possible. If you look at the honeycomb stock grill only 23 of the 44 or so openings are open.
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
here is a pic

My front end
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new front valence and splitter resized.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	122157  
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I also designed a circuit to allow the fogs to be run when the brights are on. Ford switches power to the fogs when the brights are activated so, I ran a separate circuit from one of the unused 30 amp slots in the engine fuse block into the interior via the sound tube hole to an unobtrusive switch I mounted under the dash. This means, when the switch is selected, the switched power is replaced and the lights stay on. Gotta watch, it's battery + so, don't forget and leave the fogs on. I couldn't find a switched source nearby that I could trust with the amp load of running the lights.

Tinting the lights kind of defeats the purpose of doing things like this, in my mind. I can't stand tinsel on a car or bike. I want function in everything that's attached to the car. Hence this mod and why I don't like California Special "fog lights".
Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmustang12 View Post
Thanks Shane! I definitely have considered just upgrading to a brighter bulb, would save me a lot of money haha. If I do decide to go with Raxioms HID lights and the factory HID kit, do you guys sell everything I would need?!
I hear ya! I'm definitely one to use HID's, but only if the wallet can handle it lol. Of course, this isn't always the case for most, including myself.

Unfortunately, we don't carry any HID kits at the moment. I'd like to at least get some in from Ford down the road. Then we can offer a direct OEM swap, which would be great for customers like yourself.

Sorry I don't have anything to provide you with right now!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

People who insist on just a bulb upgrade for the grille fogs can always run 9005 Silverstar Ultras instead of the 9145 factory bulb. They have a compatible base and the 9005 is 65 watts a side, plus the Silverstar Ultra boost. The 9145s are only 45 watts.

The difference is noticeable and the factory wiring handled it no problem for me for over a year before I went HID.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
People who insist on just a bulb upgrade for the grille fogs can always run 9005 Silverstar Ultras instead of the 9145 factory bulb. They have a compatible base and the 9005 is 65 watts a side, plus the Silverstar Ultra boost. The 9145s are only 45 watts.

The difference is noticeable and the factory wiring handled it no problem for me for over a year before I went HID.
Definitely something to keep in mind. I did not know that a 9005 silverstar bulb would work in the fogs. I will remember that for the future

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT