Barton Shifter Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Barton Shifter Question

I have a buddy, who truthfully is very mechanically inclined, who just installed the Barton with 2 post bracket in his 2012 GT. Knowing I am interested in getting the same set-up, he let me take it for a ride. Before the ride he glowed about how fantastic this thing was.

Here's my question. Is it normal to have to force this thing into first and second gear? I seriously had to put so much pressure on it I was uncomfortable that it was going to break. He swears its perfect. I told him that there is no way it should require that much force to get it into gear. He knows his way around his car, as I know he has done all mods himself, so I let it go. I am now questioning a purchase though as I don't care to trade a shorter throw for the force required to get it if that's the case.

I've never put a shifter in any Mustang I've ever had, so I really have no clue
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
They are quite stiff at first. Once you have it worn in, it'll shift like butter. Took less than a month for mine to break in
lwandrewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yeah I was worried too when I first got mine but after a month it broke in and it's perfect now. It was definitely tough at first, and a little clunky/loud but that went away.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Ugh, I hate to be "that guy" but... My MGW was perfect from the start. I've had it in maybe six-seven weeks and even with the huge price tag, I still don't feel any buyers remorse.

I makes shifting exciting.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I'll be swapping out this factory junk in the near future. I've heard all the MGW praise. I don't mind spending more if it's worth the extra money. Does the Barton (with 2-post) definitely alleviate the high RPM missed shift (2-3, 4-5) problem that the factory shifter is notorious for? If so, I don't see the need to spend extra for the MGW. Opinions? Thanx in advance...
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Ugh, I hate to be "that guy" but... My MGW was perfect from the start. I've had it in maybe six-seven weeks and even with the huge price tag, I still don't feel any buyers remorse.

I makes shifting exciting.
Isn't it about the same price as a barton shifter and 2 post? I have the 2 post because I wanted a quick fix for cheap, but eventually I'm going to go MGW, not a barton shifter.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
I'll be swapping out this factory junk in the near future. I've heard all the MGW praise. I don't mind spending more if it's worth the extra money. Does the Barton (with 2-post) definitely alleviate the high RPM missed shift (2-3, 4-5) problem that the factory shifter is notorious for? If so, I don't see the need to spend extra for the MGW. Opinions? Thanx in advance...
Barton makes shifting alot more reliable, especially from 1-2... I don't have many complaints with mine besides more drivetrain noise than I want and that's about it... Also, knowing I got the 2nd best shifter on the market kinda bothers me a bit, I just got my MGW in the mail and will see what the praise is all about, and I will also be selling the Barton w/ 2 post bracket. Whether u go Barton or MGW, its leaps and bounds better than the stock setup, especially under spirited driving
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Went from stock to a hurst then to a MGW. I've drive cars with Barton but never had that much of an issue going into first. How did it feel going into reverse?
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
Went from stock to a hurst then to a MGW. I've drive cars with Barton but never had that much of an issue going into first. How did it feel going into reverse?
Reverse on the Barton is VERY stiff, I thought it would wear in over time... Doesn't bother me at all, its a good way of not accidentally going into reverse
Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

Isn't it about the same price as a barton shifter and 2 post? I have the 2 post because I wanted a quick fix for cheap, but eventually I'm going to go MGW, not a barton shifter.
I'm not sure how much the Barton shifter + bracket cost. My MGW was $450.00 and that's a big chunk of change for me. I've never upgraded a shifter on any car before my mustang so it was a little difficult to pull the trigger on this one but after I installed it (which I was really happy to see how, well thought out it's assembly was) and drove it. It instantly felt better over stock.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

I'm not sure how much the Barton shifter + bracket cost. My MGW was $450.00 and that's a big chunk of change for me. I've never upgraded a shifter on any car before my mustang so it was a little difficult to pull the trigger on this one but after I installed it (which I was really happy to see how, well thought out it's assembly was) and drove it. It instantly felt better over stock.
$450? I know u got yours fairly recent... Why so much? I just ordered mine about 4 weeks ago and got the heat shield and everything for $401 shipped from MGW
Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

$450? I know u got yours fairly recent... Why so much? I just ordered mine about 4 weeks ago and got the heat shield and everything for $401 shipped from MGW
I got mine with the fancy smachy shift ball and deluxe jamb nut. Lol
Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Barton makes shifting alot more reliable, especially from 1-2... I don't have many complaints with mine besides more drivetrain noise than I want and that's about it... Also, knowing I got the 2nd best shifter on the market kinda bothers me a bit, I just got my MGW in the mail and will see what the praise is all about, and I will also be selling the Barton w/ 2 post bracket. Whether u go Barton or MGW, its leaps and bounds better than the stock setup, especially under spirited driving
I've never had a 1-2 problem. 2-3 is what steams me about the stock junk. Not only is it irritating, it's also embarrassing when I miss a gear. I want to always know where they are. Being that I'm old skool, drivetrain noise doesn't really bother me. I'm used to Muncies and T-10s with nothing more than a rubber boot covering a gaping hump hole to insulate the cabin from drivetrain noise. My Heartthrob Flowpacks are always on drone duty too. I love the sound. I guess I'll go ahead and spring for the MGW. If I go Barton, I'll always wonder how much better the MGW would have been. Like Dad used to say, "Son, it only costs a few more semolians to go First Class."
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
mine also was stiff at first but it has broken in over the 2-3 months I've had it in.
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My barton with 2 post bracket is smooth as butter and I have yet to miss a gear since I install it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-785276359.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	122411  
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is it normal to have to force this thing into first and second gear?
Something is not right if you are having to force anything. We installed the MGW shifter last night and my son was shifting without using the clutch at all to see how smooth it was compared to the OEM. He was able to slide it into the gears with fingers without the clutch. Even under load, the shifter shouldn't have to be "forced". The price differential in a Barton & MGW, it is a no-brainer. The Barton uses the OEM shifter lower housing with all of the plastic and cheap guides, and the back bracket is an upgrade, but still looks somewhat suspect. For roughly $50 you get a LOT more with the MGW imho.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT