Axleback Risk - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Axleback Risk

Ok. So I am selling my roush ab. But am not going to be able to take them off till this weekend. (Already have a buyer). But I don't want to spend money I don't have. So I'm going to wait till he pays me before I order new axle backs (gt500's). What, if any risk will I be taking in by driving around axlebackless waiting on my new axlebacks to be ordered and delivered. Approximately a week.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
You'll be fine without the mufflers. It'll just be louder than normal. I drove my car for months without them on, and had zero issues.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Exhaust pipes will rattle without the hangers, but it won't hurt anything.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. Thanks guys. Shouldn't be more than a week. I can't stand the look of not having exhaust coming out the back holes. As soon as he pays me for them I'll order the new ones.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Do you have any other exhaust mods besides the roush ab's? I plan on doing the same swap soon. Let me know how it sounds compared to the roush.
2013Coyote5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013Coyote5.0 View Post
Do you have any other exhaust mods besides the roush ab's? I plan on doing the same swap soon. Let me know how it sounds compared to the roush.
I currently have no other exhaust mods. But am planning on o/r x pipe when I get the money. So gunna go ahead and make the swap.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yep same here. I want more growl and less rasp.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yep same here. I want more growl and less rasp.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Ok. So I am selling my roush ab. But am not going to be able to take them off till this weekend. (Already have a buyer). But I don't want to spend money I don't have. So I'm going to wait till he pays me before I order new axle backs (gt500's). What, if any risk will I be taking in by driving around axlebackless waiting on my new axlebacks to be ordered and delivered. Approximately a week.
So why are you swapping them out? Have you heard the 500's?
How will the compare to the Roush?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Your OTA pipes will be bouncing off your axle tubes since there will be nothing holding them in place. It's going to sound really terrible, and you might dent them up a bit. If you're crafty, you might be able to rig them up somehow with some kinds of wire that won't melt at exhaust temps.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post

So why are you swapping them out? Have you heard the 500's?
How will the compare to the Roush?
From my understanding. Will be quite noticeably quieter than the roush. Which I do not like. But when I do a off road x pipe to gain more hp, it will make the gt500's louder. If I did that same off road x pipe with the roush. I've heard stories such as can't talk to the person sitting next to you. Can't hear your radio. Cops in other cities can hear ya. Lol. Just stuff like that. All together when doing any other exhaust upgrades. Roush is best when left alone. I you plan on upgrading. Go with gt500 for a cheaper ab and something like borla if you have the money.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

From my understanding. Will be quite noticeably quieter than the roush. Which I do not like. But when I do a off road x pipe to gain more hp, it will make the gt500's louder. If I did that same off road x pipe with the roush. I've heard stories such as can't talk to the person sitting next to you. Can't hear your radio. Cops in other cities can hear ya. Lol. Just stuff like that. All together when doing any other exhaust upgrades. Roush is best when left alone. I you plan on upgrading. Go with gt500 for a cheaper ab and something like borla if you have the money.
What year GT500?
SirWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWood View Post

What year GT500?
Talking about the axleback exhaust. Not the car
Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Im the same as you... I didnt have mufflers on mine for a day or two and the appearence from the rear looked so half-*** lol. I enjoyed my gt500's but am in love with my s-types. Sorry im biased lol

I think they meant what year gt500's such as 12' or '13+ style wise

Borla Exhaust Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZpnBuQiag

GT500 Muffler sound clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkGKwxQkTc8
Filth and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

12' for me. And yeah. Someone in my neighborhood had catless glasspacks dumped. Looked horrible to me.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have Roush now and not planning on any more mods for now, I personally like them, but the folks next door give me the evil eye at start up. Not sure what I am going to do if anything. Thanks for your post.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Talking about the axleback exhaust. Not the car
I'm talking about the year of the GT500 exhaust? I took off my 08 GT500 axle backs, and put on Corsa performance exhaust.
SirWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Just watch your mid piping when I took mine axlebacks off they like to bounce off the axle!
Mooncricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
I have Roush now and not planning on any more mods for now, I personally like them, but the folks next door give me the evil eye at start up. Not sure what I am going to do if anything. Thanks for your post.
Roush axlebacks with the cats in place aren't even that loud. You could keep a bottle of Midol or tube of Vagisil handy and toss it to them next time they give you a ****ty look.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Roush axlebacks with the cats in place aren't even that loud. You could keep a bottle of Midol or tube of Vagisil handy and toss it to them next time they give you a ****ty look.
My turn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1555663938.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	122707  
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
My turn
Mostly serious. A stock Mustang with Roush cans is about 1/1000th as loud as the Harleys that go ripping all over the place.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mostly serious. A stock Mustang with Roush cans is about 1/1000th as loud as the Harleys that go ripping all over the place.
Loud pipes save lives brotha
Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Loud pipes save lives brotha
Loud pipes piss people off and make them resent people riding bikes, and a lot less likely to go out of their way to be courteous to them. If you think that makes you safer, go for it. I can tell you that my goal is usually to get in front of these bikes so I don't have to listen to the bull spewing from their pipes.

I don't mind a reasonably loud exhaust, but most of these bikes are so loud it's nothing short of obnoxious. There is no reason a 1L engine should make more noise than a Turbocharged diesel semi tractor.

My point though, was that Roush axlebacks really aren't very loud at all in the grand scheme of things, and the OPs neighbors are *******.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Loud pipes piss people off and make them resent people riding bikes, and a lot less likely to go out of their way to be courteous to them. If you think that makes you safer, go for it. I can tell you that my goal is usually to get in front of these bikes so I don't have to listen to the bull spewing from their pipes.

I don't mind a reasonably loud exhaust, but most of these bikes are so loud it's nothing short of obnoxious. There is no reason a 1L engine should make more noise than a Turbocharged diesel semi tractor.

My point though, was that Roush axlebacks really aren't very loud at all in the grand scheme of things, and the OPs neighbors are *******.
If you've had numerous cars pull out in front of you, or cut you off in traffic, then you would understand. There's no such thing as a fender bender on a bike, people die.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
If you've had numerous cars pull out in front of you, or cut you off in traffic, then you would understand. There's no such thing as a fender bender on a bike, people die.
I completely get what you're saying, but honestly I usually end up cutting in front of these bikes off just so I can keep them behind me and get their loud exhaust out of my ear. I know you feel like the world is out to get you - but keep in mind that most of us try to be courteous to bikers, and none of us made you get on an inherently unsafe vehicle. It's a risk you've chosen to assume and you can't punish the rest of us for that.

If my car was half as loud as any of these bikes I would get a ticket every time I drove it. That's all I was trying to say. If you want to continue having a debate on motorcycle awareness let's start another thread in a non-tech section.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I am not going to comment on loud bikes but the loudest thing I have ever heard on 4 wheels was a RX7 turbo race car.

Going back to my comment about the folks next door and being loud at start up.

(I am working on the top ten reasons to buy loud exhaust.)

1. I am not going to worry about it, the car is loud for less than 60 seconds and what ever it does, it goes to quiet as I pull out of the driveway.

2.When i drive by the cops you can just coast and its normal.

3. The wife never even hears it when i pull in at night. That is a good thing if I have been out too late.
4. Dogs get out of your way when going down the road.
5. pretty girls look as you drive by so you can see there .............
6. you can wake people up who are to slow to pull away from a light
7. I may need some help with the rest.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT