2011+ clutch,shifter, track=not happy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
2011+ clutch,shifter, track=not happy

Attempted to run the car (n/a) last night out at cincy street wars.. Didn't do to well. Made 8 passes. 1 of which was clean. 2.08 60ft 13.01@ 109.8.
My issue is the car frickin locks out of 3rd! It's like hitting a wall then nailing the limiter! It's to the point were I want to get ride of the car! The peddle does suck down a bit but isn't bad really. I'm running a full MGW shifter set up with there shift ball. This should not be happening? 1st to 2nd are great. 2nd to 3rd are *****!!
What are my options to remedy this? The shifter is an older revision and is getting sent back to MGW for a complete re build. Then the fluid drained and JHR clutch lines are going in.
(Yes the peddle is being pressed to the floor)
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Rebuilding the shifter is a good first step. I find it hard to miss the 2/3 shift. So it may be the shifter is out of adjustment. It could also be a warn third gear synco. Take it a step at a time.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
Rebuilding the shifter is a good first step. I find it hard to miss the 2/3 shift. So it may be the shifter is out of adjustment. It could also be a warn third gear synco. Take it a step at a time.
This is the first time I've tracked this car. It was bought new in December of 2012 and now has about 13k miles on it. It's my DD. so the 3rd gear synchro being warn is unlikely.?.
Is there a way to adjust the shifter for 2nd to 3rd shifts? From what I could tell from the install the pin for the reverse lock out and the return spring were the only adjusting points on this MGW shifter?
I purchased the shifter used from a buddy who had it for about 8 months. It had a bit of slop in it (worn bushings) which is why it's getting rebuilt.
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
definitely check the syncro on 3rd gear, you should have no problem going from 2nd to 3rd. If its under warranty take it back to the dealership or if not find a good tranny shop and have them help you trouble shoot it.

My best 60' so far has been a 1.90, but my best ET was a 12.61 at 114.2 MPH with A 2.03 60'. I'm N/A with a Steeda CAI and the Boss intake manifold with a BAMA tune on my SCT Livewire TS. Off the speed alone I should be in the low 12's/high 11's. Good luck at the strip and just keep practicing that launch, the race is won in the first 60 feet!
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Poly motor mounts might be a nice upgrade. I currently have poly mounts, mgw,jhr clutch line, helper spring removed and dot 4 fluid. No issues at high rpm shifts and I am on stock clutch with 610whp.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBry0311 View Post
definitely check the syncro on 3rd gear, you should have no problem going from 2nd to 3rd. If its under warranty take it back to the dealership or if not find a good tranny shop and have them help you trouble shoot it.

My best 60' so far has been a 1.90, but my best ET was a 12.61 at 114.2 MPH with A 2.03 60'. I'm N/A with a Steeda CAI and the Boss intake manifold with a BAMA tune on my SCT Livewire TS. Off the speed alone I should be in the low 12's/high 11's. Good luck at the strip and just keep practicing that launch, the race is won in the first 60 feet!
What gear and tire size are you running? I'm running 3.31's with a 27in tire. Not ideal for 60ft I don't think? The car bogs real bad but when I try to leave and higher than 3500-4000 it blows the tires off.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Somewhat frustratingly, I've found that a soft touch works on these cars, whatever shifter is in them. Much as I'd like to pull and push it like a toploader, I find just directing the shifter forward open palm, means it goes in every time.

I have a simple shifter upgrade; just a Steeda red bushing and an AM poly ball knob. I have shot this down the track over 100 times on slicks and the only missed gears were when I got too aggressive with the shifting. It's kind of counter-intuitive to a drag racing environment.

I would be concerned if the clutch is sucking down at all. What's your shift point? I'm on the stock manifold so, there is little point in revving it up beyond the stock soft cut. If you're shooting over 7K, it might just be a little too much centrifugal force for stock clutch.

At least the rebuild should eliminate the shifter being an issue.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT