14 Track Package Suspension Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
14 Track Package Suspension Problems

After a couple if weeks of driving my new 2014 Mustang GT w/track package, I started getting a super loud and embarrassing, metal on metal clank clank clank sound coming from my wheel well. I couldn't tell what it was by looking. Dropped the car off and was told there were some defective suspension parts that had a service bulletin out on it for the track pack. 5 days later, got the car back and now the noise has been corrected but the suspension feels like garbage. It's making all kind of noises when you go over any kind of bumps. The alignment is off and at highway speed feels like the wheels are squared. From what I can tell, they replaced A-arms and a few other things on the driver's side. I don't have the receipt in front of me but this is what I have in the e-mail:

VERIFIED CONCERN NOISE WHILE GOING OVER BUMPS INSPECTED FOUND EXCESSIVE PLAY AT OUTER TIE ROD LEFT FRONT AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS ALSO MAKING NOISE....FOUND TSB 13-7-8 TO REPLACED CONTROL ARMS AND INSTALLED SHIELD, PREFORMED OPERATION 130708B... AND REPLACED TORN OUTER TIE ROD END. ALIGNMENT DONE ON..
52 Warranty Done RENTAL FOR CUSTOMER INSPECTION RENTAL FOR CUSTOMER INSPECTION

I have three problems with this.

First off, it's bad business that the dealer would sell the car knowing about defective parts and not replace them. I guess Ford's Philosophy is to sell the car and keep fingers crossed that it doesn't break. Let the customer be inconvenienced and lose time money dealing with the inconvenience later. Or wait for you to put some suspension mods in and blame it on you later.

Second, how the hell could they give the car back to me like that without testing it!!!??! WTF

Third, what parts did they use to replace the defective stuff with? Not that it was great to begin with, but it feels like a worn out beat up suspension. I know the 14' track pack has some different stuff from Shelby and Boss 302 worked into the suspension. Anyone out there encounter this yet????

Also, I need to lower the car. Anyone with a 14' track pack lower theirs without changing shocks/struts and mounts? I only want a conservative drop like Eibach Pro's for now with panhard bar. Can anyone confirm if the car has the GT500 strut mounts in it? I read somewhere that it did but also that it was the same as the regular GT, not sure which is true.

Eventually plan on overhauling the entire suspension but funds are limited at this time and trying to spread it out and get the car a little more enjoyable to drive.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If it's like the Brembo edition (except for the better cooling and torsen diff of course) then it has the GT500 LCAs but not strut mounts. I haven't found a document for the Track Pack like I have for the Brembo, but I can't imagine they'd have yet another set of suspension components for the Track Pack (since the springs and struts on the Brembo are different from the standard GT).

TSBs get applied when a customer has the issue involved - it's not the same as a recall. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the car.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

TSB stands for " This ****'s Broken".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok - I had alway heard that it stood for Technical Service Bulletin. My bad. Recalls on the other hand imply "Oh ****, this is broken, bring your car in so you can't sue us".

Are there any other dealers in your area? I've been dealing with mine for over ten years (with different makes of cars) and have never had any issues which is why even if another dealer might save me a couple hundred when buying a car, it's just not worth the unknown of a new service department.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
I guess Ford's Philosophy is to sell the car and keep fingers crossed...

Ford wants all their customers to be satisfied. You're dealing with a crappy dealer not controlled by Ford. If you aren't happy, go over the dealer's head to a Ford regional service manager. They are on your side. A smart dealer knows that word of mouth can make or break them. (I don't work for Ford, I just have a good dealership to work with).
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I guess Ford's Philosophy is to sell the car and keep fingers crossed...

Ford wants all their customers to be satisfied. You're dealing with a crappy dealer not controlled by Ford. If you aren't happy, go over the dealer's head to a Ford regional service manager. They are on your side. A smart dealer knows that word of mouth can make or break them. (I don't work for Ford, I just have a good dealership to work with).
I bought my first two Mustangs from Bill Currie Ford and their service department was always good to me. I originally went to them to buy the new car as a returning, returning customer. Unfortunately, they had a sales management change and not for the better, refused to give me a fair price for my trade and couldn't swing the price on the new car. To top it off, they had only a handful of new Mustangs to choose from

I went to another Ford Dealer, who is also a Roush Dealer and stocks tons and tons of Mustangs . They offed almost $1k more for the trade and gave me a great price on the 14'. Prob is I bouffgfc
Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
Third, what parts did they use to replace the defective stuff with? Not that it was great to begin with, but it feels like a worn out beat up suspension. I know the 14' track pack has some different stuff from Shelby and Boss 302 worked into the suspension. Anyone out there encounter this yet????

Also, I need to lower the car. Anyone with a 14' track pack lower theirs without changing shocks/struts and mounts? I only want a conservative drop like Eibach Pro's for now with panhard bar. Can anyone confirm if the car has the GT500 strut mounts in it? I read somewhere that it did but also that it was the same as the regular GT, not sure which is true.
I don't know if this 2013 info will help you identify any of the suspension parts you are curious about, but it's worth a read anyway...

Ford Mustang Track Pack Dissected by Part Number… | Dirty Hippo Racing
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Hoss. That does help.

Update, of course they fixed the other recalled parts on the pass side this time and made the noise again within hours.After the 3rd trip back, Dealer figured out that the brakes are missing anti-rattle clips and they ordered and entirely new set of brakes. Alignment is still screwed. I will let you guys know if they fix it or eventually lemon it out.

So if I just wanted to put a set of mild lowering springs in it F/R, are there any track pack owners out there that have just changed springs alone without getting alignment or strut noise? Got a lot of stuff to buy and can't do the rest of the suspension right now. I know it's easier and will be less hassle less money later on. For now I just need offroad suspension relief.

Please share with me.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Correction; More hassle more money later.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
w/o insulting once you lower your car a good bit of the suspension wtty NAY be void so I suggest either rebuilding it the way you want or going to another dealer. Remember you do not have to fix it where you bought it.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The TP suspension is horrible for dd. I plan on fully rebuilding it. After many hours of forum searching and reading, a good well balanced suspension (good for DD and decent for track use) will run about $2k - $2,500. For now I can deal with with mounts, mild drop springs, and panhard bar. Need to eliminate some body roll and most off kill that F150 look.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
The TP suspension is horrible for dd. I plan on fully rebuilding it. After many hours of forum searching and reading, a good well balanced suspension (good for DD and decent for track use) will run about $2k - $2,500. For now I can deal with with mounts, mild drop springs, and panhard bar. Need to eliminate some body roll and most off kill that F150 look.
I know what you mean man. I hate that jacked up look. I'm just biting the bullet and doing it all at once. Luckily I have found a sweet deal on a used set up (basically new). Before that I too was thinking about just throwing some lowering springs on it to relieve the altitude sickness I was getting. Everyone warned me against it.
SystemCritical is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT