Koni Yellow Drag Strip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Koni Yellow Drag Strip

For those who at the drag strip with koni yellows, are you guys stiffening or softening your suspension?
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
For those who at the drag strip with koni yellows, are you guys stiffening or softening your suspension?
I believe you want to stiffen the rear and soften the front to help with weight transfer.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Negative, you want to soften the rear. Reason being, the stiffer you are in the rear will not allow for articulation or movement that is needed for the tires to hook. Softer dampening with stiffer rear chassis, unhook a front sway bar endlink when you go to the strip so your front can articulate a little more.
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Google baseline suspension.
The nmra guys swear by the site. I don't have a complete understanding, but what I do understand is stiffer rear, softer front. If the rear end squats to much, your unloading the rear wheels.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
Negative, you want to soften the rear. Reason being, the stiffer you are in the rear will not allow for articulation or movement that is needed for the tires to hook. Softer dampening with stiffer rear chassis, unhook a front sway bar endlink when you go to the strip so your front can articulate a little more.
Damnit, I thought I had it backwards and changed it ... should have went with what I thought was right the first time.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I really didnt get a one answer im doing soft rear and stiff front with my front sway bar off so it can flex let u know how that goes
Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I really didnt get a one answer im doing soft rear and stiff front with my front sway bar off so it can flex let u know how that goes
You will be wasting energy on the rear squatting, instead of driving the tire into the ground. You want a stiff rear.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

You will be wasting energy on the rear squatting, instead of driving the tire into the ground. You want a stiff rear.
What about the front?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
lol, what tires are you running? You do want a stiff rear, by that I mean a stiff chassis but your still want your dampers set on full soft.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What about the front?
The site I mentioned above explains it pretty well, I'm not qualified to do so. The front basically needs to lift fast shocking the rear tires, and come down slow. A stiffer spring rate in the rear will keep it from squatting. I'm assuming your running some type of drag tire.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The site I mentioned above explains it pretty well, I'm not qualified to do so. The front basically needs to lift fast shocking the rear tires, and come down slow. A stiffer spring rate in the rear will keep it from squatting. I'm assuming your running some type of drag tire.
Yes but what i really want to know is if i set the koni yellows stiff or soft, i have a 1" drop all around with lcas ect.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes but what i really want to know is if i set the koni yellows stiff or soft, i have a 1" drop all around with lcas ect.
Well, jayman is in the business, start with what he's said and go from there. Keep a log and make a pass. Tweak it a little each pass. Your time slips will tell you which way to go till you find the sweet spot.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, jayman is in the business, start with what he's said and go from there. Keep a log and make a pass. Tweak it a little each pass. Your time slips will tell you which way to go till you find the sweet spot.
Sounds good will do
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
how about you call koni and ask their tech dept?
Mr. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Without a lot more detailed information about your setup it is hard to speculate as to where the best settings are. Generally though, the rears should be set firmer than the fronts for drag racing. How much is going to be related to the other suspension components you are running as well as tires and other power mods. Start with fronts and rears on the softest setting, increase the firmness of the rears each run. It should become pretty clear after a few runs where your best settings are.

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130904_194643.png
Views:	166
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	127428
Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_LV View Post
Without a lot more detailed information about your setup it is hard to speculate as to where the best settings are. Generally though, the rears should be set firmer than the fronts for drag racing. How much is going to be related to the other suspension components you are running as well as tires and other power mods. Start with fronts and rears on the softest setting, increase the firmness of the rears each run. It should become pretty clear after a few runs where your best settings are.

-Static
2013 Mustang
Koni Yellows
HD Steeda Mounts
Boss 302 Springs Front
FORD Racing 1" springs rear
Panhard bar bmr
Lca bmr
Relocation bracket bmr
Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The Boss 302 springs are a fair amount more aggressive than stock which on a soft setting should help load the back tires provided the car doesn't squat too much. I can't find spring rate data on the Ford racing rear springs so I am not really certain how much those will firm up the rear or if they are just 1" shorter with no change to spring rate.

Another thing you can do is a few test launches with a video camera you should be able to fairly clearly see how fast the front comes up, how far the back drops if any, and where you start losing traction if at all.

-Static
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_LV View Post
The Boss 302 springs are a fair amount more aggressive than stock which on a soft setting should help load the back tires provided the car doesn't squat too much. I can't find spring rate data on the Ford racing rear springs so I am not really certain how much those will firm up the rear or if they are just 1" shorter with no change to spring rate.

Another thing you can do is a few test launches with a video camera you should be able to fairly clearly see how fast the front comes up, how far the back drops if any, and where you start losing traction if at all.

-Static
Good idea I have a professional camera with a tripod, will try that. The rear springs are the p springs from ford racing
Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry I can't be more help about specific settings, there are just a ton of variables and that is before we start talking tires, relative air pressures, temperature, track surface, etc...
Also if you have a g-meter / accelerometer that measures g-force you can use that to see what settings give you the hardest acceleration on launch.

-Static

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT