Rattle under hood at low rpm - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Rattle under hood at low rpm

So on my way to Virginia this weekend (6hr cruise), I started hearing a rattle coming from up front, on driver side, that I can't figure out when I arrived and took a look. I thought maybe it was a loose bolt or fitting on something or from when I did the sound tube delete that I may have left something. But I found neither. Car has 3.73 6mt, and noticed the rattle going up hills and when it's in 5-6th around 60mph or whenever the car is in a lower gear at low rpms and you gas it and put it more under load. I don't know if anyone else has had this kind of problem but any suggestions will be appreciated! Also, the sound to me makes me think its around the area of the brake booster/brake fluid or steering shaft and doesn't sound consistent enough to be engine related.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Clutch chatter! Just my guess

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PW12GT View Post
So on my way to Virginia this weekend (6hr cruise), I started hearing a rattle coming from up front, on driver side, that I can't figure out when I arrived and took a look. I thought maybe it was a loose bolt or fitting on something or from when I did the sound tube delete that I may have left something. But I found neither. Car has 3.73 6mt, and noticed the rattle going up hills and when it's in 5-6th around 60mph or whenever the car is in a lower gear at low rpms and you gas it and put it more under load. I don't know if anyone else has had this kind of problem but any suggestions will be appreciated! Also, the sound to me makes me think its around the area of the brake booster/brake fluid or steering shaft and doesn't sound consistent enough to be engine related.
I heard this a couple times but on the passenger side. I'm curious to see what others say. I thought it was a piece of change or something tapping another piece of metal.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
In the boss BoB? This was a new one on me. My immediate thought was engine but if its not constant, I'm at a loss. Is the AC running when it happens?

I get something like change rattling too but when I hit the brakes, it's gone. I think my OE pads just need changed.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yes the boss. And mine was toward the front of the passenger seat. Almost sounded like my exhaust was loose BC it only sounded under exhaust drone
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Yeah, urs does sound related to a hanger.

His on the other hand, I would love to hear. OP, can u get us a video of the sound?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Are you sure its not spark knocking?? Kind of sounds like it to me..
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys for the replies so far! Been hard to get on to reply (bachelor wknd) and I'm going to try to get a video and hopefully it captures the noise. I would like to say I think I had the ac on and then off to see the difference but ill try both when I video. Brakes I'm not sure bc it sounds more under hood. Clutch chatter or exhaust hanger might be on to something. The way it sounds is like a metal to metal rattle due to low rpm drone/bass from low gear load when gassed some. Please stay tuned for a video, either later today or tomorrow I will load one up. Best way loading it as a YouTube video? Thanks
Old 08-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PW12GT View Post
Thanks guys for the replies so far! Been hard to get on to reply (bachelor wknd) and I'm going to try to get a video and hopefully it captures the noise. I would like to say I think I had the ac on and then off to see the difference but ill try both when I video. Brakes I'm not sure bc it sounds more under hood. Clutch chatter or exhaust hanger might be on to something. The way it sounds is like a metal to metal rattle due to low rpm drone/bass from low gear load when gassed some. Please stay tuned for a video, either later today or tomorrow I will load one up. Best way loading it as a YouTube video? Thanks
Came here to post a thread about mine doing this... It almost sounds like a small pin hole in the exhaust. Only happens when I'm shifting early and its in sync with RPM's. I'll see if I can grab a video of mine too.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
Came here to post a thread about mine doing this... It almost sounds like a small pin hole in the exhaust. Only happens when I'm shifting early and its in sync with RPM's. I'll see if I can grab a video of mine too.
Interested to see what yours sounds like to mine! I listened to some of the video I took today and it does have a hint of exhaust pin hole sound aswell. I got a flat tonight on my way home so I will get the videos I took together and up tomorrow now
Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Yeah, urs does sound related to a hanger.

His on the other hand, I would love to hear. OP, can u get us a video of the sound?

Heres the best i was able to get the other day before my car got a flat..may have to turn up to hear rattle, will also hear what sounds to be exhaust pin hole sound?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Mine is the exact same way... I figured that was normal, 6th gear is just an overdrive really... It struggles to to go any faster especially at 60... I guess it's a form of hesitation which I guess is normal
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm yeah I can tell that at low speed 6th is just an overdrive. I guess what I was trying to capture was the intermittent metal rattle sound that was on and off while accelerating some up hill. The motor noise happened to come through aswell haha
Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #14

Region: Virginia
Were you able to figure out what the noise was??
Myee_pks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myee_pks View Post
Were you able to figure out what the noise was??
You do realize this thread is almost 4 years old and the original poster hasn't been on in over 3 years?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT