Short shifter decsion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Short shifter decsion

Having a hard time choosing between the Barton and mgw short shifter I just don't wanna get locked out third again. I reviews and watched videos and in leaning towards the Barton shifter just cause I can get it faster. Who here has had both and and which one to do you prefer and reason.
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Ever consider just getting the barton 2 post? It's all I've done and I have zero problems
Tmenzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmenzz View Post
Ever consider just getting the barton 2 post? It's all I've done and I have zero problems
Considered it to but since I'm at it might as well do short shifter plus I would the shorted throws anyways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I got the MGW, and all I can say is WOW!!! I'd highly recommend it!
Raf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I've had both of these and they are both a great improvement over the stock setup... Barton with the 2 post bracket is short, crisp, and feels a bit mechanical with a bit of drivetrain noise which I wasn't too crazy about, but definitely a great upgrade... MGW is SMOOTH and very precise, while the throws aren't as short as the Barton, but definitely is quiet and makes yours your trans feel more reliable... MGW is the most praised and I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and its awesome!! Changing only the top shifter w/o changing the bracket, u will still get locked out of gear since under high rpm... If your on a budget, at least change the rear bracket
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf63 View Post
I got the MGW, and all I can say is WOW!!! I'd highly recommend it!
Is there any noise when ever you shift I don't mind it but if there is how loud is it? Also how is reverse.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Mgw
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastJ View Post

Is there any noise when ever you shift I don't mind it but if there is how loud is it? Also how is reverse.
If sound is an issue try dynamat and it will improve the sound inside the cabin by a ton. After installing the barton kit I used the product around the shifter, under the seats, under the rear seats delete and all over the trunk and trunk lid and I can tell you that the noise lever is much Much lower than stock even with Long tubes, no cats and a loud borla in the back.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Never heard of anyone switching from the MGW to the Barton, but heard plenty making the opposite switch. How long have you driven your car without switching the shifter? Is a couple of weeks REALLY that important? Drove a '13 with a Barton and it shifted better than the OEM shifter no doubt, however, you get a considerable amount of "road noise" with that shifter that we didnt care for. That is the reason we bought the MGW. Installed it and did have to wait 3 weeks, but after using it, VERY HAPPY with the decision to get the best shifter, not the quickest delivered. Flawless smooth shifts even under WOT and doesnt have NEAR the road noise you get with the Barton. There is a $20 difference in retail on these two shifters. It is not even CLOSE on how much more you get for that $20 with the MGW. Compare the two side by side and even a person who has never seen a shifter will say that it is obvious which piece is designed and built better.

MGW compared to OEM

compared to Barton
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I stayed with the stock shifter. Must be the 20+ years of driving manuals and learning how on a tractor at age 6 that makes it easy and smooth for me. I have plenty of power and drag it every month. I don't have a problem shifting or grinding gears. 1-2 is a tad tight but nothing like some of you describe.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Never heard of anyone switching from the MGW to the Barton, but heard plenty making the opposite switch. How long have you driven your car without switching the shifter? Is a couple of weeks REALLY that important? Drove a '13 with a Barton and it shifted better than the OEM shifter no doubt, however, you get a considerable amount of "road noise" with that shifter that we didnt care for. That is the reason we bought the MGW. Installed it and did have to wait 3 weeks, but after using it, VERY HAPPY with the decision to get the best shifter, not the quickest delivered. Flawless smooth shifts even under WOT and doesnt have NEAR the road noise you get with the Barton. There is a $20 difference in retail on these two shifters. It is not even CLOSE on how much more you get for that $20 with the MGW. Compare the two side by side and even a person who has never seen a shifter will say that it is obvious which piece is designed and built better.

MGW compared to OEM

compared to Barton
Agree, putting my money aside for the MGW.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
MGW Shifter (w/EPCO Rally II Shift Knob)
Pcanno167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I've had the car for about a week now I came from a subaru sti and I had a short shifter and I loved it the quick shifts made it a night and day from the stock one. I am gonna get the mgw but I was wanting the opinions of the Barton owners.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT