New to a V8 and a manual transmission - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
New to a V8 and a manual transmission

So I got my 13' GT in April and I've learned how to drive stick in it since then.. Only 3.5K miles on it so far..

Anyways, kind of a dumb question but.. A lot of times when I make a turn and put it in 2nd and smash on the gas, my traction control light go on and it feels like it applies brakes for me, for a second.. So it's just protecting me because it thinks I'm going to start sliding or lose traction right?

Does this happen to you guys often or am I doing something wrong with my driving or when I turn?

I'd rather keep the traction control on until I can handle my car a little bit better or when I'm somewhere where I won't hit something I haven't put it in sport mode yet either..
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
When you turn your tires are more likely to break loose because the G forces are acting on your car in a different way. So when your car feels that the tires are starting to break loose it kills your power.

If i smash the gas in 2nd gear at 10mph in my car while turning i will spin out, and i only have 270hp, you have 420....... Your car is protecting your life when you do what you said you were doing.

When going through corners you want to feather the throttle or you will spin out, 420hp is more than enough to do a few 360 donuts.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Yes, the TC "Big Brother" has your back. When you think you have graduated, turn it off, and fool around with it.(safely) It drives much better without it, and I swear my exhaust is louder....
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Isn't there a way to permanently shut the TC off? Like hold the button for 10 seconds and it disables it.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post
Isn't there a way to permanently shut the TC off? Like hold the button for 10 seconds and it disables it.
Yea you can turn off traction control by pushing the button. You can also turn off the Advance Trac mode off. Hold the traction control button and push the brake for 5 seconds. It will beep and say its turned off.
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I don't recommend it for a beginner with V8 and a manual. Try sport mode maybe. Hold the brakes and push the traction control button twice. Gives you a little more play but won't let you hit the guardrail (although I'm sure there are ways to mess it up)
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with that too. I wouldn't turn it off just yet unless you have an empty parking lot or somewhere safe to test and see what the difference is on having traction control on or off. Although if you are losing traction on a turn you are probably giving it way too much gas and not regulating the clutch and gas properly.
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yea sounds like tires might be breaking.. I usually just let off the clutch easily/smoothly and not give it too much to try to make smooth switches through the first couple of gears.. I have 3.73s so I felt like it was a little trickier when I first got the stang but just enjoy and be safe dont underestimate 420 horses!!
2013 FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have found that the car is smart enough to apply one brake too! Sharp right hand corner with a low point in the center. No traffic and I was turning onto a 4 lane road so I tried going fast but maintaining lane discipline....the inside rear tire braked for me. I wasn't expecting it (rather expecting the rear to kick out) I'll admit to when the "nannies" work it's a good thing.

It's not a permanent shut off, you have to do this each time you start the car. Be carefull, as others have said it's easy to get in trouble with the V8. I have to work at it to get in trouble with my V6.....
Old 08-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Make no mistake, with all controls on, the car can still get out from under you pretty easy.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.. I have the factory 3.73' as well..

Yeah.. I need to chill sometimes on the turns, because if it wasn't for TC then I'd land on the sidewalk I think.. it's embarassing when it kicks in 2nd though when I just do a strong pull going straight.. the TC is telling me slow down dumb ***.

I've already fishtailed, and gone sideways a little bit with the TC on, by smashing in 2nd or 3rd while turning but I was just experimenting and it was in empty streets where they never started building houses..

I'm sure if I had TC off I would manage a 180 and crap myself.. but I need more empty space to try that..
Old 08-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I've power shifted 3rd at 60mph and done a 360, all with TC on.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I've power shifted 3rd at 60mph and done a 360, all with TC on.
Nice... I will not try that at home.. You're an experienced man so you can handle it
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post

Nice... I will not try that at home.. You're an experienced man so you can handle it
I just got lucky it stayed on the road. It was early spring and there was a light layer of sand on the road left from winter.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I just learned something new in this thread made I should read the owners manual
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

LMAO......tear it up!....LOL!
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
MGW Shifter (w/EPCO Rally II Shift Knob)
Pcanno167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastJ View Post
Well I just learned something new in this thread made I should read the owners manual
It's only impressive if you read it while driving.

You can read?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The traction control I applying brake pressure to keep the tail behind you.

I strongly recommend doing a performance driving course(s) put on at your local track by the Porsche, BMW or SCCA chapter. Learning how to drive this car is as enjoyable as owning it. When you develop the skill you would want to take off traction control off as it will slow you down on a road course, but not till you have had plenty of experience.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
The traction control I applying brake pressure to keep the tail behind you.

I strongly recommend doing a performance driving course(s) put on at your local track by the Porsche, BMW or SCCA chapter. Learning how to drive this car is as enjoyable as owning it. When you develop the skill you would want to take off traction control off as it will slow you down on a road course, but not till you have had plenty of experience.
Good input Ftodaro. I want to test the full limits of this Stang but I know what I stand to lose if I act a fool on a regular road.

Every now and then you raise the bar just enough to be humbled by the experience and wand up remembering how stupid of choice it was. Praising your Deity because you have a new found look on life and debts; vowing to never perform such an maneuver again...until you get on the Track!
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
MGW Shifter (w/EPCO Rally II Shift Knob)
Pcanno167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Ftodaro is on point with this. If you are new to relatively high HP cars and manual transmissions, one of the best things you can do is find either a driving school or a local SCCA chapter. Odds are good that someone in your local SCCA has a new Mustang in F-Stock and would be willing to let you ride with them and vice-versa. A lot of autocrossers have been driving a long time and will be able to point you in the right direction with regard to proper control, plus you will have an opportunity to really push the limits of your car in a safe and controlled environment.

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Yes there is. You can have a tune set to have it in the off position.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT