So spark plugs or need boost a pump - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
So spark plugs or need boost a pump

So was getting my 11 vortech Dyno tuned today as ran into issues . At 5500 rpm the car dipped low and hesitates and the afr dips . At 5500 I'm making 470-490 hp didn't take it any higher due to the issue above . Have 47 pound injectors and off road pipes . He thinks maybe a bad spark plug ? Thoughts?
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
I had this same issue with my 2v in my case I was running a stock fuel pump with a boost a pump , the problem was the fuel pump was running at 80% capacity at all times so when I would give it fuel from a dig the pump would have a hard time keeping up , are you running a stock fuel pump? How's many pounds of boost are you running? I see you live in Illinois who is doing your tuning?
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Tim at mph is and I have a stock pump vortech says I shouldn't have to change it . The only mod I have is the off road pipes . I already ordered new plugs again like Tim said he seen it before where a bad plug caused it to hesitant . Just in case wana have another route to go
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Tim at mph is and I have a stock pump vortech says I shouldn't have to change it . The only mod I have is the off road pipes . I already ordered new plugs again like Tim said he seen it before where a bad plug caused it to hesitant . Just in case wana have another route to go
Well if Tim said that's what it is , it's probably what it is , he's hardly ever wrong, that being said kenne Bell said I could use the boost a pump. With my stock pump , I found out you could but it doesn't really help, you should have a fuel pump to support your mods and use the boost a pump as a safety, are you running more than 10 lbs of boost? Didn't you change to a colder plug when you did the sc?
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
8 that's it just stock kit and Tim is a great guy he said a cracked spark plug could cause the problems he's running into . Said to change them and come back just sucks the plugs in car are all brand new lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
I would go with what he's saying right now, I've heard of 10 psi or more can mess with your spark curve but that shouldn't be your problem, Tim is a awesome dude, he's one of the best tuners in Illinois your in great hands, and I swear I've seen your screen name before, CMC bro?
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Yep ya he had alot of bad cars in there including a challenger with a v10 viper engine in it I drooled over
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Yep
Cool! It's cool to see some bros on a national forum ! And it's a lot less crazy here! LOL!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Still got some crazies who like to hate on others cars . I just simply like others input on small things like this and I'm sure someone will try to flame me as usual
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Still got some crazies who like to hate on others cars . I just simply like others input on small things like this and I'm sure someone will try to flame me as usual
Don't let the jag bags bother you man, you got a cool car that your putting your stamp on, when its all said and done you'll be having the last laugh! Your car is in great hands and she will be a massive beast in no time bro!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winter Haven
Region: Florida
Posts: 407
You need to step up to a colder plug whenever you add that much more hp.
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
JG5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 268
Stock plugs are fine on stock kit. You do have to gap the plugs though if using them still.
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Bought brisk 1 step colder plugs the ones in There he thinks may have one that got dropped or something maybe there not gapped right idk
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
JG5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111
Bought brisk 1 step colder plugs the ones in There he thinks may have one that got dropped or something maybe there not gapped right idk
We didn't gap mine at first bc it didn't mention it in Paxton's instructions. Took the car out and it would cut around 4500-5k when it really wanted to build boost. Gap was too far so Spark would go out as more air was trying to come in faster. Drove back to shop, gapped plugs and she woke up big time!
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Might be what is Maybe gapped one wrong or one was damaged . It cuts out at 5500 and afr dips . Also car does at upper rpms once in while could all be a spark issue ?
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
JG5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 268
Possibly, I know it was an issue with mine at first. I haven't used a BAP and my fuel pump is fine. I'm still running stock Paxton setup though, once I retune and get rid of cats and stock air box I will have to get the BAP for sure.
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Ya just have stock kit with off road pipes he said a bap isn't needed yet just afr drops like its a spark issue
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
JG5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111
Ya just have stock kit with off road pipes he said a bap isn't needed yet just afr drops like its a spark issue
Gapping the plugs is easy, try it and see what happens

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111
Ya just have stock kit with off road pipes he said a bap isn't needed yet just afr drops like its a spark issue
If the gap is too big then the spark gets blown out therefor the cut in power at that RPM. I know when you add a big intake kit that a BAP is required, not sure about just adding a O/R X.
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
What's this BAP y'all are taking about? And moto, how much RWHP are you looking to get out of this kit in current form? I'm looking into boosting the boss.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
JG5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss
What's this BAP y'all are taking about? And moto, how much RWHP are you looking to get out of this kit in current form? I'm looking into boosting the boss.
Boost a pump. Increases voltage on stock fuel pump for higher HP applications that need a lot of fuel.
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5.0 View Post

Boost a pump. Increases voltage on stock fuel pump for higher HP applications that need a lot of fuel.
Ahhh I knew it was something simple but lol I know what the boost a pump is
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
JG5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss

Ahhh I knew it was something simple but lol I know what the boost a pump is
All good
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Lol well I def think its a spark issue then like he said as the rpms just cut out at 5500 other then it drives fine and dies only at upper rpms when goosing it. So I think plugs would be issue I ordered new ones to be safe and to be honest will take it to a shop and have them gap it to .32 and hope she runs better

With this tuner said il be at 600 all day
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
GOTROD46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Windsor
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Might be what is Maybe gapped one wrong or one was damaged . It cuts out at 5500 and afr dips . Also car does at upper rpms once in while could all be a spark issue ?
R their cool packs on ur model, had that issue before too, thinking it was spark plug. Goodluck man
GOTROD46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
GOTROD46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Windsor
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTROD46 View Post

R their coil- packs on ur model, had that issue before too, thinking it was spark plug. Goodluck man
GOTROD46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Lol well I def think its a spark issue then like he said as the rpms just cut out at 5500 other then it drives fine and dies only at upper rpms when goosing it. So I think plugs would be issue I ordered new ones to be safe and to be honest will take it to a shop and have them gap it to .32 and hope she runs better

With this tuner said il be at 600 all day
This is what I was looking at

Click image for larger version

Name:	stocktvsfinal.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	125075

Or maybe a mammoth
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
If I forge my engine I can do that to just don't need that much lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
If I forge my engine I can do that to just don't need that much lol
"Need" lol no one needs it honestly I just wanna be able to hurt some 5.8s feelings
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Haha I'm pretty sure I can do that now pretty sure any sc 5.0 can play with the gt500s unless they r modded of course which is like comparing apples to oranges lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
TooSlow4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Haha I'm pretty sure I can do that now pretty sure any sc 5.0 can play with the gt500s unless they r modded of course which is like comparing apples to oranges lol
Technically, you can't hang with them right now or any supercharged coyote for that matter. Not until your car is good to go.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post

Technically, you can't hang with them right now or any supercharged coyote for that matter. Not until your car is good to go.
Lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Haha even with my issues I'm making 490, at tires at only 5k I think I'm fine thanks though
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Haha even with my issues I'm making 490, at tires at only 5k I think I'm fine thanks though
5k for 40rwhp more than a full bolt on car huh? Sounds legit. And even if you go forged and run the absolute most boost you're vortech can push (which isn't much) you'll never be near a boss with a VMP TVS, let alone in the same ballpark when it comes to torque. So ridicule me all you want because I'm the bad guy thats just jealous of your hodge podge POS that you have to shift like a diesel to keep from destroying it. I would smoke you, but, cool story bro. Flame on
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
TooSlow4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Haha even with my issues I'm making 490, at tires at only 5k I think I'm fine thanks though
490 can't "hang" with a supercharged coyote or a gt500 that's running fine. You'll be there when you get it running well, just not there now.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
 
Adogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post

5k for 40rwhp more than a full bolt on car huh? Sounds legit. And even if you go forged and run the absolute most boost you're vortech can push (which isn't much) you'll never be near a boss with a VMP TVS, let alone in the same ballpark when it comes to torque. So ridicule me all you want because I'm the bad guy. Flame on
He is saying he is 490hp a 5k rpms not the dollar amount......
__________________
Don't hate....... appreciate
Adogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:08 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.