Tremec Magnum 6 speed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Tremec Magnum 6 speed

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Tremec MAGNUM XL 6-Speed Kit for 2005-2013 Mustang V8 close ratio- Replacement for 05-09/3650 or 10-13/Getrag MT-82

New Tremec MAGNUM XL 6-Speed Kit for 2005-2013 Mustang V8 close ratio. Replace your 05-09 3650 or 10-13 Getrag MT-82
SOLD: '06 Pontiac GTO(M6)
"I cheated on GM with Ford... Don't tell Dodge!"
dj_fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like some thoughts as well. I need to upgrade my tranny. Having synchro issues.

Cant shift from 1st to 2nd at high high rpms. Car drives fine at normal speeds and shifts. anything 5500 rpm cant shift from 1st to 2nd.
rspicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That is on my list for next upgrade. Check out D&D transmissions,That is the best pricing I found so far.
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspicel View Post
I'd like some thoughts as well. I need to upgrade my tranny. Having synchro issues.

Cant shift from 1st to 2nd at high high rpms. Car drives fine at normal speeds and shifts. anything 5500 rpm cant shift from 1st to 2nd.
They provide a wide ratio 6 speed as well. I just don't know how it'll fair with the coyote. I'm nervous that mating the wide ratio might "f" something up. That's why I'm leaning towards the close ratio.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
JPC is cheaper:

TREMEC MAGNUM XL S197 CONVERSION - Justin's Performance Center
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: New York
I like Ford and love mustangs... But it makes me mad Ford put a sub par manual tranny in the mustang. That MT-82 is crap. Had one in my 2011 V6 and had the ISB fluid change done and added the shift bracket improved it some but shifting was still notchy at times. Now I see guys saying they are upgrading to different trannies. It's a shame we spend tens of thousand on a car and have to upgrade the tranny to make it what it should have been from the factory. I bought my '14 GT with the auto. I spent $33,000 no way was I getting the MT just to dump hundreds maybe thousands more to make the tranny better when it shouldn't need upgraded. I am a Ford guy and will always love mustangs. But I will never purchase another new model year until the bugs (gremlins) are worked out!

LOL... I just said gremlins and notice my profile pic. Pun was not intended.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast12 View Post
If you add up the cost of shipping plus additional options to include 2011+ the one from JPC costs more.

I added up the total cost of the one from American Powertrain and contacted them about the additional options in which one they already include in the price, i.e; mounts. Also from them to me, shipping is cheaper.

People also have to account that they'll need a 26 spline clutch, flywheel, as well as a one piece driveshaft.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fiveoh View Post
If you add up the cost of shipping plus additional options to include 2011+ the one from JPC costs more.

I added up the total cost of the one from American Powertrain and contacted them about the additional options in which one they already include in the price, i.e; mounts. Also from them to me, shipping is cheaper.

People also have to account that they'll need a 26 spline clutch, flywheel, as well as a one piece driveshaft.
I'd say to get a complete package trans save up about 4,000.00 and invest in this if you really want it, while sacrificing other goodies like forced induction or engine internals.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Also don't forget the speedo conversion box,about $175.00
Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Always gotta buy additional parts to make it fit.
rspicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #10

Region: Michigan
Hello gang! Seeing as this is my first post here you can call me a troll if you'd like, but I am here to help address some of your 'unknowns' regarding the TREMEC Magnum XL conversion...

1. The XL is an 'extended length' version of the Magnum line, intended to fit late-model applications with semi-remote shifters. I personally use a regular Magnum in my '94 GT and have been extremely pleased with its performance (installed May 2010).
2. The XL is currently only available for S197 Mustangs--specifically '05-10 GT's with the 3-valve 4.6. It comes with a SFI-certified steel bell, crossmember, trans mount, and shifter (with handle and ball). Additional items needed include a 26-spline clutch and 1-piece driveshaft with 31-spline slip yoke (same as slip yoke used in regular Mag and TKO).
3. For '11-13 GTs the only additional requirement is a speedo calibration box, designed to convert the 12-pulse signal from TREMEC to 33-pulses used by Getrag for the ECM. This can also be done through the cal if you have a handheld programmer is my understanding. To verify, your best bet is to consult a dealer like JPC or D&D since they are usually among the most up-to-speed with late-model Mustang conversions.
4. Upsides to the Mag XL include waaaay better shift quality, especially at high-rpm, and a huge bump in torque capacity (700 lb-ft.) Though, it is important to know that because of the direct shift on the XL, it will transfer more NVH into the car and not feel quite as 'silky smooth' as the MT-82 when crusing/shifting at low rpm's.
5. The Magnum XL uses the same hardware inside as the TR-6060 from the GT500s, and is available in two different ratio configurations: a 2.97 first with at .80/.63 double overdrive, or a 2.66 with a .74/.50. Street performers seems to prefer the 2.97, and road race/autocross guys, the 2.66. For reference, the MT82 uses a 3.66 that is great for pulling stumps but lousy for torque capacity.

Any questions, let me know. I've spent a great deal of time around Tremecs and discussing this trans with Tremec personnel & dealers.

Good luck all, and thanks for having me!
speedfreak94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak94 View Post
Hello gang! Seeing as this is my first post here you can call me a troll if you'd like, but I am here to help address some of your 'unknowns' regarding the TREMEC Magnum XL conversion...

1. The XL is an 'extended length' version of the Magnum line, intended to fit late-model applications with semi-remote shifters. I personally use a regular Magnum in my '94 GT and have been extremely pleased with its performance (installed May 2010).
2. The XL is currently only available for S197 Mustangs--specifically '05-10 GT's with the 3-valve 4.6. It comes with a SFI-certified steel bell, crossmember, trans mount, and shifter (with handle and ball). Additional items needed include a 26-spline clutch and 1-piece driveshaft with 31-spline slip yoke (same as slip yoke used in regular Mag and TKO).
3. For '11-13 GTs the only additional requirement is a speedo calibration box, designed to convert the 12-pulse signal from TREMEC to 33-pulses used by Getrag for the ECM. This can also be done through the cal if you have a handheld programmer is my understanding. To verify, your best bet is to consult a dealer like JPC or D&D since they are usually among the most up-to-speed with late-model Mustang conversions.
4. Upsides to the Mag XL include waaaay better shift quality, especially at high-rpm, and a huge bump in torque capacity (700 lb-ft.) Though, it is important to know that because of the direct shift on the XL, it will transfer more NVH into the car and not feel quite as 'silky smooth' as the MT-82 when crusing/shifting at low rpm's.
5. The Magnum XL uses the same hardware inside as the TR-6060 from the GT500s, and is available in two different ratio configurations: a 2.97 first with at .80/.63 double overdrive, or a 2.66 with a .74/.50. Street performers seems to prefer the 2.97, and road race/autocross guys, the 2.66. For reference, the MT82 uses a 3.66 that is great for pulling stumps but lousy for torque capacity.

Any questions, let me know. I've spent a great deal of time around Tremecs and discussing this trans with Tremec personnel & dealers.

Good luck all, and thanks for having me!
Troll. Just kidding.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post

Troll. Just kidding.
Lmao I was gonna say the same
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys dont forget since the xl is geared higher then the mt-82 a minimum of 3:73 rear end gears is necessary to not lose the accelleration you are now getting with your mt-82. This with using the 2:97 1st gear model! Right now i have the money to get this tranny but I cant justify it because my mt-82 with its new clutch and billet aluminum flywheel and jpc line upgrade, are working so well with 629 hp to the rear wheels...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

blackbeast,I agree with you on not justifying the price,I'm @ 597 hp and know its just a matter of time,i'm thinking get the XL and then sell your mt-82 to recoup some of the $$$ back,once you break your mt-82 it's worthless.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #15

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Lmao I was gonna say the same
In my best Eric Cartman voice... "Screw you guys. I'm goin' home." Haha!
speedfreak94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Please excuse the brevity. Looking for a used MGW shifter for a 2014 5.0. Long shot but worth a try. PM me if you are selling yours and it fits a 14. Thanks.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Up date: i decided i want the best manual tranny now, before my mt-82 starts giving me issues. I ordered 1 from JPC a week ago. I want the option to sell my good working mt-82 and recover some of the money I'm putting out for the tremec. I will also be getting motive 3:90 gears installed at the same time. Install is in 2 weeks, and my current drive shaft is already spoken for as well as my mgw shifter and my 3:23 gears....still for sale the slightly used (3200 miles) spec 2+ clutch assembly including the billet aluminum flywheel! Pm me if you want it...
Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Up date: i decided i want the best manual tranny now, before my mt-82 starts giving me issues. I ordered 1 from JPC a week ago. I want the option to sell my good working mt-82 and recover some of the money I'm putting out for the tremec. I will also be getting motive 3:90 gears installed at the same time. Install is in 2 weeks, and my current drive shaft is already spoken for as well as my mgw shifter and my 3:23 gears....still for sale the slightly used (3200 miles) spec 2+ clutch assembly including the billet aluminum flywheel! Pm me if you want it...
Congrats on your new set up. If any of the sales don't go through PM me with the price and I will pay fast.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fiveoh View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Tremec MAGNUM XL 6-Speed Kit for 2005-2013 Mustang V8 close ratio- Replacement for 05-09/3650 or 10-13/Getrag MT-82
HOLY CR*P!!! Wow...$3700 for a replacement transmission! I would have to consider a different vehicle before I added that to the cost of the Mustang. Keep in mind I am not a racer..just and old man respectfully enjoying my GT. I couldn't speed shift if I had to lol
Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkk View Post

HOLY CR*P!!! Wow...$3700 for a replacement transmission! I would have to consider a different vehicle before I added that to the cost of the Mustang. Keep in mind I am not a racer..just and old man respectfully enjoying my GT. I couldn't speed shift if I had to lol
Lol I am looking into one
Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkk View Post
That price doesn't include a shifter, clutch, or driveshaft. All of which are not compatible from the coyote.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #22

Region: Virginia
I have the magnum XL in my boss. Works great. Any questions. Let me know.
DGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Pics of this boss? Lol. I would love to drive one to decide if I want one. My boss is in line right now to have the tranny torn apart :/
Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pics of this boss? Lol. I would love to drive one to decide if I want one. My boss is in line right now to have the tranny torn apart :/
I wouldn't waste any more money on tranny that already broke on you, get a tremec xl and then you can say what Donny Brasco said " forget about it"...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I wouldn't waste any more money on tranny that already broke on you, get a tremec xl and then you can say what Donny Brasco said " forget about it"...
Lol Ford is paying for it not me
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol Ford is paying for it not me
So you gonna give it another shot , if it breaks again do you think you will go tremec?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So you gonna give it another shot , if it breaks again do you think you will go tremec?
If it breaks again I'll definitely get the Tremec
Old 10-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have the magnum xl in my 2012 gt, along with it are the McLeod RST resurfaced stock flywheel, dynotech 3.5" drive shaft and Richmond 3:73 gears. Absolutely have thrashed on this setup and it keeps coming back for more. It's also my daily driver and use it for 500 mile trips home to Arizona from New Mexico. The tremec magnum xl is well worth the money. Race my car in 1/8th mile bracket every two weeks. Next replace is my axle shafts. Any questions hit me up.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0 View Post
I have the magnum xl in my 2012 gt, along with it are the McLeod RST resurfaced stock flywheel, dynotech 3.5" drive shaft and Richmond 3:73 gears. Absolutely have thrashed on this setup and it keeps coming back for more. It's also my daily driver and use it for 500 mile trips home to Arizona from New Mexico. The tremec magnum xl is well worth the money. Race my car in 1/8th mile bracket every two weeks. Next replace is my axle shafts. Any questions hit me up. No engine mods or tunes at all.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0 View Post
I have the magnum xl in my 2012 gt, along with it are the McLeod RST resurfaced stock flywheel, dynotech 3.5" drive shaft and Richmond 3:73 gears. Absolutely have thrashed on this setup and it keeps coming back for more. It's also my daily driver and use it for 500 mile trips home to Arizona from New Mexico. The tremec magnum xl is well worth the money. Race my car in 1/8th mile bracket every two weeks. Next replace is my axle shafts. Any questions hit me up.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------
Is your speedo still accurate since you haven't tuned it,?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Vader what gears does your cruise control work in? I've read posts where some guys no longer have cruise control to it only works in 6th gear one guy said his worked in 4th and 6th gear only...all these guys installed the tranny themselves, however guys that had theirs installed by a pro, like i will have done soon, had no issues with cruise control!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Vader what gears does your cruise control work in? I've read posts where some guys no longer have cruise control to it only works in 6th gear one guy said his worked in 4th and 6th gear only...all these guys installed the tranny themselves, however guys that had theirs installed by a pro, like i will have done soon, had no issues with cruise control!
Technically speaking you only need cruise control in sixth gear.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Naa i want 5th and 6th
Old 10-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Technically speaking you only need cruise control in sixth gear.
My cruise control doesn't work at all, I find this not that big of an inconvenience to myself. I bought this car to drive it, not for it to drive me around.

Speedo is accurate with the ford racing speedo box. 20-50-80 mph are right the money.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT