Center Console Really REALLY HOT !!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Preface: I searched for this problem before posting this. If it has been discussed I couldn't find it

2012 Boss 302 but shouldn't be much different than a manual 5.0.

This weekend is the second time I have driven over 30 miles at one time so I haven't noticed this before.

While we were in TN this weekend riding the mountains I noticed my center console getting really hot from the trans or possibly the engine. I thought is was from the mountain riding, but on the way home just cruising it was still hot the entire way. Not as hot as when I was in the mountains but still very noticeably hot. I am curious if this is normal or if others have noticed this? I'm looking into getting the Laguna Seca trans cooling scoop. Please let me know your thoughts on this issue. Thanks
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I haven't had the problem but could it be the exhaust since it has the side exhaust just a thought
Mooncricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I searched this too and found nothing. At first I thought it was normal heat but then it got very hot like you're describing. I was at a road course this weekend and it was the same thing after the sessions. I was considering installing some sort of hear shield in the console.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Kinda have this problem with my 94 gt also it get pretty warn up around the shifter

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

My guess would be the tranny warming up. Because like you said you were going through the mountains and then some one on a road course you both probably had the car in a low gear trying to keep the rpms higher to power up the mountain and thought the turn but that is just a guess
Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Preface: I searched for this problem before posting this. If it has been discussed I couldn't find it

2012 Boss 302 but shouldn't be much different than a manual 5.0.

This weekend is the second time I have driven over 30 miles at one time so I haven't noticed this before.

While we were in TN this weekend riding the mountains I noticed my center console getting really hot from the trans or possibly the engine. I thought is was from the mountain riding, but on the way home just cruising it was still hot the entire way. Not as hot as when I was in the mountains but still very noticeably hot. I am curious if this is normal or if others have noticed this? I'm looking into getting the Laguna Seca trans cooling scoop. Please let me know your thoughts on this issue. Thanks
Did your mgw have the heat shield with dynamat, I can't remember if it was new when you got it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Did your mgw have the heat shield with dynamat, I can't remember if it was new when you got it.
Yes and that is what I'm concerned about. I have a heat Sheild installed from MGW :/ I realize that the mountain/road course would heat it up more than normal but the next day on my way home just cruising it was still hotter than I would expect. I'm talking hot cup of coffee hot. And in the mountains, almost burning hot. I may go see if ford will do the tranny fluid TSB on my car just to get a free fluid change. But I will still end up getting the Laguna Seca trans cooler
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Yes and that is what I'm concerned about. I have a heat Sheild installed from MGW :/ I realize that the mountain/road course would heat it up more than normal but the next day on my way home just cruising it was still hotter than I would expect. I'm talking hot cup of coffee hot. And in the mountains, almost burning hot. I may go see if ford will do the tranny fluid TSB on my car just to get a free fluid change. But I will still end up getting the Laguna Seca trans cooler
That does not sound right. I have a standard 2013 Gt with manual, currently still have the stock shifter. Have driven as many as 700 miles in a day and the console was normal temperature. Maybe warm, but definitely not hot.
Daryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

That's definitely odd, I I believe I'd start with the tranny fluid too.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT