2014 Mustang GT with cai? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
2014 Mustang GT with cai?

Hi I was wondering if i can run a CAI on my 2014 Mustang GT. Only reason why i'm asking this is because of the hood vents. I noticed when i was washing the car and was spraying the hood i opened it to see if water would cover the air box and it does. The outside of the air box was covered with water. Am i able to run a CAI if it gets covered with water?
RyanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
Hi I was wondering if i can run a CAI on my 2014 Mustang GT. Only reason why i'm asking this is because of the hood vents. I noticed when i was washing the car and was spraying the hood i opened it to see if water would cover the air box and it does. The outside of the air box was covered with water. Am i able to run a CAI if it gets covered with water?
The aftermarket companies have already addressed the issue with most intakes by putting heat/water shields designed specifically for keeping water out on the 13-14s. Soo... Yes!
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So really any brand i go with I'll be good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You have a CAI right from the factory. You'll be hard pressed to improve on it.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Well i eventually want to run a Bama Cam Tune. Purchasing and o/r h pipe aswell. I was told you need and o/r pipe and a cai for the Bama Cam tune?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well i eventually want to run a Bama Cam Tune. Purchasing and o/r h pipe aswell. I was told you need and o/r pipe and a cai for the Bama Cam tune?
Off road mid pipe yes, CAI no.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Off road mid pipe yes, CAI no.
Oh sweet, i won't bother with the cai then, thank you!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yay, another member doesn't drink the Kool-Aid. You just saved yourself several hundred bucks and disappointment when you find out your no-tune CAI made you point-nothing faster at the dragstrip.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
A good CAI with a tune will make little more HP that a stock CAI with a tune. They are mostly for looks and sound. (a sucking sound) If you're not going to tune, forget it.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Yeah, I bought mine because I didn't want to buy the Boss manifold adapter and I really like the look of a blacked out Steeda cai.

But if I had a '13-'14 with the vented hood, I wouldn't buy a cai. I know, they remedied a fix for it, I saw the YouTube video but I still wouldn't want to chance it. A mouse could climb in there and poop on it.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Yay, another member doesn't drink the Kool-Aid. You just saved yourself several hundred bucks and disappointment when you find out your no-tune CAI made you point-nothing faster at the dragstrip.
So glad someone else agrees with me. Yeah CAI are pretty but useless. The cold air induction we have on our 5.0's is going to be the best for our cars. I did buy a k&n drop in filter, just for better air flow.
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What people don't get is unless you significantly alter the airflow demands (VE) of the engine, it doesn't matter what intake is on there. Adding more airflow doesn't mean the engine will demand more. It's not the 1980s any more with 5.0 litres of engine sucking through a convoluted 100 mm snorkel in the fender. Strangely enough, I've heard but not verified the intake pipe feeding the 5.0 is actually a hair smaller dimensionally than the one feeding the 4.6 in 2010. That should hint at what I am talking about.

Plus, people don't get that the type of airflow into the engine is just as important, if not more so, than the volume of airflow. A modern engine is VERY dependent on the MAF transfer values being correct, in real time. The quickest way to screw this up is the have turbulent, disrupted airflow past the MAF sensor. This can actually go as far as nuking your engine if it's screwed up bad enough. On older cars, it'd just make it run rough and get lousy mileage.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
So getting a hood with "functional" vents on a 11+ isn't resulting much gains or advantage?? I always have some haters or old school ppl who don't know anything about modern cars talking crap about my "fake" hood scoop
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2
So getting a hood with "functional" vents on a 11+ isn't resulting much gains or advantage?? I always have some haters or old school ppl who don't know anything about modern cars talking crap about my "fake" hood scoop
Nope...you might see a gain over 160 mph...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Most people haven't the slightest clue how aerodynamics works anyway.

Most hood scoops, (even if connected to the intake) do nothing anyway, as they are too close to the car's surface and the surface friction creates a boundary layer of slow moving air so, at best, it might be characterized as a kind-of CAI.

What's actually best is for the engine to draw air from a non-moving pocket of relatively stable, unheated air. This is why lots of cars use the inner front fender well. There is cooler, more stable air here than underhood. Our cars draw from behind the grille fog and, while not perfect, it's at least outside the engine bay and reasonably far away from the rad.

Hood vents can serve a secondary purpose besides letting out heat. They can reduce underhood air pressure and that can affect the amount of front end lift at high speeds. Lots of race cars use these, particularly high speed endurance racers like Le Mans cars. It has to be designed-in, though, it won't happen by accident, most likely.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well i learned alot from this haha. I wont waste my money then on the cai. I'll buy the tuner instead
Old 08-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Well i learned alot from this haha. I wont waste my money then on the cai. I'll buy the tuner instead
Just remember a tune will void warranty... I would stretch its legs a bit, give it at least 5-10K to make sure u have a good car w/o major drivetrain issues
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ohhh alright. I should wait to get rid of the cats then obviously too.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. A cat remove will require a tune for best performance as you'll freak out engine management at times and throw a light for sure if they aren't there. This ain't no '79 5.0.

Definitely run it in some...says the guy who put Procal on his car at 3421 kilometers... These cars do loosen up some and the oil consumption stabilizes. Watch that dipstick for the first few thousand ks.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I think a CAI does well when you complete the entire exhaust system and upgrade it fully. A CAI alone will do nothing. Get a CAI and tune it, does more. Get headers and off road x pipe, more power gains. One can suck all the air into the engine but the factory manifolds and cats will only let you push out the air so fast. The key to making more HP is sucking more air into the engine, shove that air in and push that air out as fast and as much as possible. One can't do this with the restrictive manifolds and cats on. The CAI is just one more ingredient in making your car faster and increased HP and torque. It's like baking a cake. Milk alone will not make a cake. Milk, sugar , flour , eggs , etc when combined is when the cake becomes more to its final stage. Same for modding your car. Each mod is just one ingredient to completing the cake.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I think a CAI does well when you complete the entire exhaust system and upgrade it fully. A CAI alone will do nothing. Get a CAI and tune it, does more. Get headers and off road x pipe, more power gains. One can suck all the air into the engine but the factory manifolds and cats will only let you push out the air so fast. The key to making more HP is sucking more air into the engine, shove that air in and push that air out as fast and as much as possible. One can't do this with the restrictive manifolds and cats on. The CAI is just one more ingredient in making your car faster and increased HP and torque. It's like baking a cake. Milk alone will not make a cake. Milk, sugar , flour , eggs , etc when combined is when the cake becomes more to its final stage. Same for modding your car. Each mod is just one ingredient to completing the cake.
Well said
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well thanks for everyone's help I was going to run LTs but i have emissions testing here so i decided not to. My repair shop i work at does the testing so i would pass it either way but i wont bother haha. I'll wait until i hit 5k or so and keep checking the oil.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well thanks for everyone's help I was going to run LTs but i have emissions testing here so i decided not to. My repair shop i work at does the testing so i would pass it either way but i wont bother haha. I'll wait until i hit 5k or so and keep checking the oil.
What does Long Tube headers have to do with emissions and not passing. I never head such? I'm familiar with the issue of an off road x pipe not passing emissions but that's it. The long tube emissions here thing, I'm confused about.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

LT eliminate the cats that are right off the factory shorties; there's yer problem, right there....

Here's some advice from 30+ years of f*cking stuff up: Decide what you want to accomplish, what your budget is and then select parts that will achieve your goal without busting the budget.

personally, I committed to maximizing what I have on the cheap and you can see the results in my sig.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LT eliminate the cats that are right off the factory shorties; there's yer problem, right there....

Here's some advice from 30+ years of f*cking stuff up: Decide what you want to accomplish, what your budget is and then select parts that will achieve your goal without busting the budget.

personally, I committed to maximizing what I have on the cheap and you can see the results in my sig.
When you buy long tubes to replace the factory shorty manifolds , you have to buy one of two things. 1, off road x pipe which will cause emission issues. 2, buy a high flowing catted x pipe. Catted x pipe has cats and not an emission issue. The emission issue has nothing to to with long tubes. One just needs to buy the high flowing catted x pipe that fits onto the long tubes. hope that helped!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It's not quite as totally simple as that, depending on your jurisdiction and the severity of enforcement of your emissions regs.

Some will demand no changes from stock, period. Some will allow what is indicated above and some have no laws at all.

It is a federal offense to tamper with any emissions control equipment and some shops are rightfully concerned with this. An individual faces little legal risk but a company faces more. Adding a catted X or H also may not allow your car to pass a sniffer, if that's done where you are because those cats will behave differently than stock, being a lot further downstream than factory.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's not quite as totally simple as that, depending on your jurisdiction and the severity of enforcement of your emissions regs.

Some will demand no changes from stock, period. Some will allow what is indicated above and some have no laws at all.

It is a federal offense to tamper with any emissions control equipment and some shops are rightfully concerned with this. An individual faces little legal risk but a company faces more. Adding a catted X or H also may not allow your car to pass a sniffer, if that's done where you are because those cats will behave differently than stock, being a lot further downstream than factory.
Well Sir, I'm certainly not an emissions expect by any means and you could be correct. Its been my understanding that a high flowing catted x pipe is completely legal because the cats are not being removed. I have never heard of anyone with catted x pipes not being able to pass an emissions test but I guess anything is possible but never heard anyone on hear say that. Lol
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ford designed the factory cai to not be as good as it could purposefully for economy and cost reasons I recommend the steeda cai it'll improve your performance. But not by a great amount and with the steeda and most cai's worth getting costing $330+ there are other bolt ons that'll give you more bang for you buck since the most cai's only give you realistically 10 rwhp.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote:
+1
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Guy who i work with just installed LTs with catted x pipe and it throws his light on every once and a while. His is an 06 so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well Sir, I'm certainly not an emissions expect by any means and you could be correct. Its been my understanding that a high flowing catted x pipe is completely legal because the cats are not being removed. I have never heard of anyone with catted x pipes not being able to pass an emissions test but I guess anything is possible but never heard anyone on hear say that. Lol
"legal" generally means CARB certification. This is an expensive process and many aftermarket companies don't go to the trouble.

Also, "passing" can mean that no stock parts are tampered with or the parts look like stock pieces, regardless of performance.

Repositioning cats can cause compliance issues; not saying it will but the OP needs to think this one through and know the regs and enforcement in his area.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

"legal" generally means CARB certification. This is an expensive process and many aftermarket companies don't go to the trouble.

Also, "passing" can mean that no stock parts are tampered with or the parts look like stock pieces, regardless of performance.

Repositioning cats can cause compliance issues; not saying it will but the OP needs to think this one through and know the regs and enforcement in his area.
You learn something new every day. So my next question is I wonder if anyone on this forum failed there emission testing because they had headers and catted x pipe?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You learn something new every day. So my next question is. Has anyone on this forum failed there emission testing because they had headers and catted x pipe?
One guy on here did, but I think he was in Cali
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

One guy on here did, but I think he was in Cali
That makes sense those freakin tree huggers lol
No offense to those out in Cali.
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post

That makes sense those freakin tree huggers lol
No offense to those out in Cali.
If anyone failed then no surprise its from California.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I also think there was one in Texas but that I'm not sure on

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

If it was me, I would find that guy that will pass it as long as you leave a $50 bill in the exhaust

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2014 mustang, cai