2014 GT Check Engine Light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2014 GT Check Engine Light

I had a problem this morning when I left my house. When I hit the main highway outside of my neighborhood I accelerated and shifted from 1st to 2nd. There was a slight delay in acceleration when I shifted into second gear and then at 3500 RPMs the check engine light started flashing and the car had a serious reduction in power. I babied it to the next intersection and pulled over to turn it around. Once I got the car turned around the check engine light went out and the car seemed to be normal.

The only thing I have done to the car is Outlaw axle-back exhaust, put the JTL oil separator on the passenger side, and installed a drop in K&N air filter.

Anybody else ever experience this or know what could have caused it?
jlesp2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you are still under warrantee ( in guessing you are) then I would have Ford take a look at it.
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just read about someone with the same problem , took it into the dealer and they just test drove it and it was fine. try disconnecting the battery? or bring it to the dealer you still have that beautiful warranty
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25 View Post
If you are still under warrantee ( in guessing you are) then I would have Ford take a look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
I just read about someone with the same problem , took it into the dealer and they just test drove it and it was fine. try disconnecting the battery? or bring it to the dealer you still have that beautiful warranty
Thanks for the responses. I had planned on taking it back to the dealer. I was just curious if anyone else had this issue and what could cause it.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
There are a thousand things that could cause it so, your best move is take it in, unless you have a code reader at home.

This engine has a number of serious protection strategies built in to the programming so, you likely triggered one of those.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
When you have a problem with your car and its still under warranty,...take it to the dealer. Everyday there's a thread like this and every response is the same "take it in."
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
This has happened to me bout 10 times or so took it to the dealership it was my cylinders misfiring.. and they have no clue what to do, so they will prob reflash your pcm and tell ya its good..
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinmyGT View Post
This has happened to me bout 10 times or so took it to the dealership it was my cylinders misfiring.. and they have no clue what to do, so they will prob reflash your pcm and tell ya its good..
Thanks. I've been reading up on this a little bit and have to say I'm a little discouraged by what I've been reading. It sounds like there is a problem but Ford doesn't know what to do. At any rate, I will make an appointment and take it in and see what happens. Again thanks for the reply.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Sounds like it went into limp mode.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yea they keep givin me the run-around last time I took it in I brought it to AutoZone a couple days earlier and they said cylinder 1 and 4 misfired and cylinder 1 was a permanent misfire, took it to the dealership and they said sorry there's no codes so we can't work on it.. either AutoZone cleared the codes or they don't want to work on it, but I'm tired of dealing with this problem, especially reading how everyone else tunes there stangs and mods the hell outta them with no problems.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea they keep givin me the run-around last time I took it in I brought it to AutoZone a couple days earlier and they said cylinder 1 and 4 misfired and cylinder 1 was a permanent misfire, took it to the dealership and they said sorry there's no codes so we can't work on it.. either AutoZone cleared the codes or they don't want to work on it, but I'm tired of dealing with this problem, especially reading how everyone else tunes there stangs and mods the hell outta them with no problems.
A lot of people have similar stories. Seems if you get the light you need to take it right to the dealer and get it checked, otherwise when you turn the car off it will clear the code unless it happens more than once in the same cycle. I don't really know but I am going to the dealership tomorrow. Hopefully they can figure something out. Good luck to you, hopefully they figure something out for you soon.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Sounds like it went into limp mode.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it did. But the funny thing was as soon as I pulled in a side street and turned around the light went out and it went right back to normal operation. Seems kind of crazy to me.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #12

Region: Louisiana
I know we aren't quite the same but my '10 GT did this. Only difference was it didn't recover. Just lost a ton of power. It was a sensor. Can't recall which one as it happened at 500 miles or so. Really early. Throttle body I want to say.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the END View Post
I know we aren't quite the same but my '10 GT did this. Only difference was it didn't recover. Just lost a ton of power. It was a sensor. Can't recall which one as it happened at 500 miles or so. Really early. Throttle body I want to say.
I should clarify as that isn't a common term. Throttle position sensor. But like I said it was really long ago. And different engines.
the END is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You don't lose any codes if you turn the car off. They have to be selectively deleted by Ford IDS or any other tuner or diagnostic black box.

An interesting insight: If you have tech pack, you can check your own codes without anything. Just press 3 and 6 simultaneously on the radio and you can enter bezel diagnostics, which will allow you to view DTCs and clear them.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks bleep2013 hopefully yours gets sorted too good luck
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
You don't lose any codes if you turn the car off. They have to be selectively deleted by Ford IDS or any other tuner or diagnostic black box.

An interesting insight: If you have tech pack, you can check your own codes without anything. Just press 3 and 6 simultaneously on the radio and you can enter bezel diagnostics, which will allow you to view DTCs and clear them.
I'm gonna try this soon as I get off work lol thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the END View Post

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

I should clarify as that isn't a common term. Throttle position sensor. But like I said it was really long ago. And different engines.
Quote:
Thanks bleep2013 hopefully yours gets sorted too good luck
UPDATE: Took it to the dealer today. They couldn't read any codes (apparently none registered). Said it could have been a misfire and if it was it has to happen several times in a row on the same cylinder before it will register a code. Said it also could have been the K & N air filter. Apparently it can cause a slight oil mist to hit the Mass Air sensor and cause a check engine light and put the car in limp mode. I'm a little skeptical of this scenario but I suppose it is possible. The service adviser was really cool so I don't think he was trying to jerk me around or anything. I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try this out tonight and next time I will know.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #17

You should have your dealer performance this TSB, on an other forum many user have resolve this issue with this TSB.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-06-15.pdf
Dineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dineau View Post
You should have your dealer performance this TSB, on an other forum many user have resolve this issue with this TSB.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-06-15.pdf
Thanks! If I have this issue again I will be sure to bring this up.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #19

normally you can replicate the issue easily...

With cold engine, drive wile mainting RPM around 4k RPM or accelerate hard while the engine is cold and the CEL should flash.
Dineau is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine