Header install know a major problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Header install know a major problem

So I installed long tube headers on my car during the weekend. I did it in my garage on jack stands. Took me 17 hours total from start to finish over 3 days. Got it all complete, then was lifting car up with jack to get out jack stands. And the jack slips, dropping my car. It landed on the head of the jack directly in the middle of the oil pan. Basically smashing the pan flat. I then tried to crank the motor. It starts up fine but has a bad ticking noise almost sounds like a lifter ticking. But I think I might of smashed my oil pick up tube in the oil pan. Does anyone know if it in the sump part of the pan or not. If so I hope that is the problem. Like its not sending any oil to the lifters making them tick real bad. Other than that I have no clue what it could be. I've orded a new pan from AM allready. Does anyone have any ideas?
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #2

Region: California
Could it maybe an exhaust leak. I'm sure you checked all that but had to ask
Jjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well I haven't checked any bolts yet but I double checked each one when installing I know there all really tight. I did reuse my old stock header gasket. Hope that's not the problem. I don't think it's a leak. I can hear it all around my engine bay. Not just in any particular spot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
You cant run an engine with a smashed oil pan and pick up. replace the pan and pick up, fill it with fresh oil, check for oil leaks, then check for the exhaust leaks!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #5

Region: California
Yeah do what he says
Jjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Are you sure the crankshaft isn't hitting the pan?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
I wouldn't even crank it until I got the oil pan fixed. Before the oil pan get there, I would go ahead and take the old one off and check to see what all is damaged. Dang bro, sorry to hear that.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
I wouldn't even crank it until I got the oil pan fixed. Before the oil pan get there, I would go ahead and take the old one off and check to see what all is damaged. Dang bro, sorry to hear that.
Agreeed.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I had ticking after header install.. U will hear every engine noise differently now since u don't have those heavy cast iron exhaust manifolds anymore.. Once my headers were on for a while the ticking stopped.. U may want to eventually replace ur oil pan but that's not ur ticking issue.
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby09 View Post
I had ticking after header install.. U will hear every engine noise differently now since u don't have those heavy cast iron exhaust manifolds anymore.. Once my headers were on for a while the ticking stopped.. U may want to eventually replace ur oil pan but that's not ur ticking issue.
Well my pan was pushed up about 4-5 inches. I'm thinking that I broke the pick up tube and its not getting oil. Didn't have it running long enough to check to see if I had oil pressure or not. If its a gasket leak from the header can I try to just tighten the bolts more or do I have to pull headers and replace gaskets? I used my factory gaskets not the ones supplied by bbk. I've heard they have a tendency to leak. Hope I don't have to pull them back off. Pain in the a##.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would have changed the gaskets.. Whether it being new factory ford or the aftermarket ones
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I would absolutely replace the oil pan and check for damage while its off. I'm actually kinda surprised you cranked your motor with it pushed in that far, that's asking for trouble

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Are you sure the crankshaft isn't hitting the pan?
This is what i think it is. Change pan and any other damaged parts.

And this is another reason to have a professional install if you do not have a lift or the right tools.

Real sorry to here you damaged your Stang.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well I had all the right tools and equipment to do the job. Just a freak accident. But has anyone ever pulled the oil pan off there stang. It's almost impossible to do it with out dropping the k member. They say to raise the motor up about 5-6 inches. But I find that impossible to do. Stuck. And super aggravated. Guess your right I may have to take to the dealer and let them rip me off of several hindered bucks over a stupid oil pan. They quoted me 575 for labor. With me supplying parts. Rip off
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmorley81 View Post
Well I had all the right tools and equipment to do the job. Just a freak accident. But has anyone ever pulled the oil pan off there stang. It's almost impossible to do it with out dropping the k member. They say to raise the motor up about 5-6 inches. But I find that impossible to do. Stuck. And super aggravated. Guess your right I may have to take to the dealer and let them rip me off of several hindered bucks over a stupid oil pan. They quoted me 575 for labor. With me supplying parts. Rip off
If you can change headers an oil pan is nothing. Just replace the gasket when installing the new one.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I tried to pull the pan. But it will not come out without raiding the motor super high. I raised it as high as I could but would not go up any more due to the tranny. Still needed about 3 more inches. So I guess I'll just take it in
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmorley81 View Post
I tried to pull the pan. But it will not come out without raiding the motor super high. I raised it as high as I could but would not go up any more due to the tranny. Still needed about 3 more inches. So I guess I'll just take it in
I think you need to drop the k member to change it.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Rip off, took you 17 hours to do headers.
yugoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
K-Member has to come down.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

This is from another thread talking about a boss oil pan swap on a 5.0 They were summarizing the instructions from the Ford Online Service Manual:
" the workship manual instructions have you lift the engine from above by an inch and drop the crossmember by two inches. Without the extra three inches, it looks like the pan won't tilt down far enough to clear the bottom of the bell housing and the oil pickup so you can slide it to the rear and remove it."

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT