DOT4 Brake Fluid=Clutch Fix - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
DOT4 Brake Fluid=Clutch Fix

So ive been having the High RPM Clutch issues. I started researching into the problem and from what ive read changing the DOT3 Stock Fluid to a Synthetic DOT4 Fluid fixes that issue very much. Has anyone tried this with any success? I already made ford do my free transmission flush and it fixed my notchy shifting a bit and my Barton 2 Post Bracket fixed up the rest.

BUT I still have a problem with my Clutch Pedal getting stuck at high RPM shifting. From what ive read this fixes that issues 90% of the issue or all of it completely.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

That same thing happens to mine 2013 feb built 5.0 , someone said it was a spring on the clutch pedal assembly and now your saying the fluid lol anyone know what is this?
jaredGTneelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredGTneelley View Post
That same thing happens to mine 2013 feb built 5.0 , someone said it was a spring on the clutch pedal assembly and now your saying the fluid lol anyone know what is this?
Yea I read about taking off that spring assembly, I tried it.....didnt work for sh*t hahaha so I put it back on.

I heard because the brake fluid is also the same reservoir for the clutch fluid that if u change it to a DOT4 it has a higher boiling point and that is the main reason we get a stuck pedal at high RPMs because the DOT3 fluid boiled up and we loss pressure. Since DOT4 has a much higher boiling point the pressure is always there so we have no issues. I was gna try it anyways honestly just wanted some input. If anything ill be everyones guinea pig today after work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I've heard of the fluid swap as well Charlie. Never tried it but you are a pioneer so go for it homie
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
I've heard of the fluid swap as well Charlie. Never tried it but you are a pioneer so go for it homie
Haha thanks BoB :p ill do it around 12ish when im off and let you know
Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes let me know , I actually work at ford but I'm at the lube team so haven't really gotten into recalls and such
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Haha thanks BoB :p ill do it around 12ish when im off and let you know
Sweet let me know, I might do it on the boss. BTW do you have Brembo's on the cs?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sweet let me know, I might do it on the boss. BTW do you have Brembo's on the cs?
No I dont but I just got Power Slotted Rotors and Hawk HP+ pads all around through my sponsorship at TSI here in El Paso they look and perform awesome bro wayyyyyyyy better than stock
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

No I dont but I just got Power Slotted Rotors and Hawk HP+ pads all around through my sponsorship at TSI here in El Paso they look and perform awesome bro wayyyyyyyy better than stock
Get them to buy you some of this bro it's 100% better than stock

Click image for larger version

Name:	39303d1350608695-low-washer-fluid-light-blink.jpeg
Views:	1492
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	125939

Name:	142780d1242764598-blinker-fluid-sale-gallery_2_63_3664.jpeg
Views:	5798
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	125940
Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Get them to buy you some of this bro it's 100% better than stock
My blinkers have been acting up lately. Sometimes they are bright. Sometimes dim. There is also a noticeable delay from when I activate switch to the actual light itself turning on. It's getting worse as time passes I think. Will that stuff help?
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Beware...the 2010+ have LED blinkers. Make sure you use a full synthetic fluid or they'll stick in the on position.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thank you. That wouldve been bad
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Beware...the 2010+ have LED blinkers. Make sure you use a full synthetic fluid or they'll stick in the on position.
That'd be bad
Old 08-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Sooooo lol joking aside guys I went ahead and changed the fluid. And let me tell you, its worked GREAT holy sh*t now when im shifting at 7k my pedal doesnt stick and lock me out of 5th gear like it used to.

The stock DOT3 oil was nasty as hell junk.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130826_151801.png
Views:	376
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	125973

Name:	ForumRunner_20130826_151816.png
Views:	310
Size:	481.7 KB
ID:	125974

Name:	ForumRunner_20130826_151827.png
Views:	293
Size:	552.2 KB
ID:	125976

The fluid had like lint type of things floatibg around and it was overall terrible fluid that ford put in here.

The way I did this is the suck out and refill method.

I got a air line tubing that had a sucking pump at the end and sucked out as much as I could, poured it into a container as seen above, sucked more out, poured it out, continue till the reservoir is empty. Then refill half way with DOT4 fluid which is clear (the way it shouldve been) and then go pump the brake about 15-20 times, repeat with the clutch. After that the fluid has been cycled around and more gunk is in the reservoir so do the process again to take it out and refill half way, repeat the brake n clutch pump. Then do the removal one last time and refill to the middle of the Min and Max indicator.

At the end ur fluid will be a very light brown some what like the color of brand new motor oil.

Go ahead and pump ur brake and clutcg and drive ur car as hard as you want and your clutch will no longer get stuck or stiffen up at high RPM shifts.

I used this oil

Name:	ForumRunner_20130826_152446.png
Views:	335
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	125981

And Black on Boss these are my rotors front n back

Name:	ForumRunner_20130826_152526.png
Views:	301
Size:	534.6 KB
ID:	125982

Name:	ForumRunner_20130826_152536.png
Views:	305
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	125983
Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks CSantos, good info right there. Glad to hear a first hand account to back up what others have said as well.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Thanks CSantos, good info right there. Glad to hear a first hand account to back up what others have said as well.
For 14 bucks total including 2 containers of brake fluid and the sucking pump its a cheap and very effective fix for our clutch problems. Im sure if I went with a Motul Fluid it would be better but it works just as good
Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You need an extra rim? Lol I still have the one from my v6
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
this is a temp fix. not a complete fix but a JHR clutch line will help out greatly as the orifice near the clutch end is reduced greatly, limiting the amount of clutch fluid that can travel at high velocity(ie. speed shifting while drag racing).
Mr. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
this is a temp fix. not a complete fix but a JHR clutch line will help out greatly as the orifice near the clutch end is reduced greatly, limiting the amount of clutch fluid that can travel at high velocity(ie. speed shifting while drag racing).
Done hoped out of the matrix and learnt me something lol
Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

unfortunately the real fix is a decent aftermarket clutch in the long run. but not everyone has the extra scratch or know-how to replace the clutch.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
unfortunately the real fix is a decent aftermarket clutch in the long rung. but not everyone has the extra scratch or know-how to replace the clutch.
True I know ford has actually known for a fact that its the clutch assembly that needs replacing but this is a good fix for now at least. I plan on getting a stage 1 clutch and aluminum flywheel and new slave cylinder so I should be good in the next few months
Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I felt no difference when i swapped to Amsoil DOT 4
Xtian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian85 View Post
I felt no difference when i swapped to Amsoil DOT 4
Maybe your clutch wasnt one of the ****ed up ones. If u used dot4 synthetic u shouldve felt it easier to shift at high rpms
Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys just talked to the manual trans special guy at my job at ford and he's said he's hadn't had a car in like that , and that there is no tsbs for it but he's going to look at it and fix the problem hopefully , but he said that if the cap says dot 3 , it's not a good idea to put dot 4 because it's not made for it so It could cause future problems and he said he can fix it as long as I have done nothing after market to it that would show I have been abusing the clutch lol yeah right
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey guys just talked to the manual trans special guy at my job at ford and he's said he's hadn't had a car in like that , and that there is no tsbs for it but he's going to look at it and fix the problem hopefully , but he said that if the cap says dot 3 , it's not a good idea to put dot 4 because it's not made for it so It could cause future problems and he said he can fix it as long as I have done nothing after market to it that would show I have been abusing the clutch lol yeah right
Our brake system can handle DOT5 so long the remaining fluid has been fulky flushed. Ur service guy cant fix anything if he doesnt replace the clutch assembly entirely. This just alleviates the issue
Old 08-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

What year is yours

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

So your saying I need a whole new ford stock assembly or I need a aftermarket one

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

I had a 13 base model gt before I have the one I have now which is a feb 13 built premium gt , my base model one I put 17000 miles on it and never ever had one problem with it , this one though the clutch pedal sticks at high rpms
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

tell your "special" guy he's truely "special" . I would assume he's spouting the company line and saying to use only ford specific brake fluid also. DOT 4 is perfectly fine to use in a DOT 3 car. I would just recommend flushing all the DOT3 fluid out to replace it with DOT 4. DOT 5 is where things can get hairy, and while you can use it, it is not recommended in a daily driven car.

Quote:
Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What year is yours

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

So your saying I need a whole new ford stock assembly or I need a aftermarket one

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

I had a 13 base model gt before I have the one I have now which is a feb 13 built premium gt , my base model one I put 17000 miles on it and never ever had one problem with it , this one though the clutch pedal sticks at high rpms
What happened to the base '13?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Sold it when I was attending college , the day I graduated I got this one I have
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sold it when I was attending college , the day I graduated I got this one I have
It's only a year old and you bought it sold it and bought another one? I wish I had that kinda money. Lol
Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What year is yours

Its the ford clutch assembly, you either go aftermarket or it will ALWAYS be there. Ford tried fixing it with a tsb but nope
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

There are no TSB's for it on the 13's and I don't think on the other models either he looked it up on the ford tech website right in front of me , and I worked hard for both of them , it wasn't easy trust me , but I love my mustang so I did what I had to do
Old 08-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are no TSB's for it on the 13's and I don't think on the other models either he looked it up on the ford tech website right in front of me , and I worked hard for both of them , it wasn't easy trust me , but I love my mustang so I did what I had to do
There is trust me the dick service guy looked it up for me while I was watching him input my vin and didnt "find" anything so I just looked it up myself. For proof here is the TSB for ford "fix" for notchy shifting TSB 11-3-18
Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Blowfish racing bracket, dot 4 and stainless clutch line. That is all.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
No more high rpm lockouts and rough shifts.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT