Roll cage color opinion!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Roll cage color opinion!!!

So I have a 6 point with x and diagonal brace roll cage going in and I still haven't decide on the color. The car is red and the seats are Sparco evo 2 also in red, my question is will the roll cage in red look bad? What other color you guys do it in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1349279984.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	590.6 KB
ID:	125968  
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Just chrome it
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missouri Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 265
Just my opinion but, I wouldn't want to draw attention to the cage itself by painting it a flashy color, so I'd paint it black and would definitely apply a scratch-resistent diamond clear coat to save me the hassles of touching up scratches and wear marks that it will more than likely show later on. Diamond clear coat is tough as nails. I speak to that with experience of painting my '14 decklid panel Race Red. Sanding, prepping and priming the OEM gloss black panel was a much tougher than expected job. No matter what color you paint your cage, invest in the clear coat as a final finish. You won't regret it.

DiamondFinish ClearCoat - Clear Coat - Non-Yellowing - High Gloss
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
So I have a 6 point with x and diagonal brace roll cage going in and I still haven't decide on the color. The car is red and the seats are Sparco evo 2 also in red, my question is will the roll cage in red look bad? What other color you guys do it in?
Exactly how much horsepower will the roll cage get you? Is this car going to be a track car only? Or did your mommy, daddy, sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin or family friend drop you on your head when you were little?
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
xxPIKExx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Exactly how much horsepower will the roll cage get you? Is this car going to be a track car only? Or did your mommy, daddy, sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin or family friend drop you on your head when you were little?
Why does everything you type have to be in some odd color? Blue, black, yellow, green. Your like a little rainbow of color in an otherwise dreary forum.
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Clink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 567
I'd go black personally.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
xxPIKExx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 450
Me too. Black
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,020
Whatever color gray the bar padding comes in. If you want some contrast hit the edges with yellow or _____ electrical tapes. Old school rat rods rule. I'm thinking with red interior you don't need any more contrast.
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
Just my opinion but, I wouldn't want to draw attention to the cage itself by painting it a flashy color, so I'd paint it black and would definitely apply a scratch-resistent diamond clear coat to save me the hassles of touching up scratches and wear marks that it will more than likely show later on. Diamond clear coat is tough as nails. I speak to that with experience of painting my '14 decklid panel Race Red. Sanding, prepping and priming the OEM gloss black panel was a much tougher than expected job. No matter what color you paint your cage, invest in the clear coat as a final finish. You won't regret it.

DiamondFinish ClearCoat - Clear Coat - Non-Yellowing - High Gloss
+1 on the diamond clear coat. I'd go black too.
jlesp2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
I would do black or red. But I would have it powdercoated not painted. That's my .02
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
I would do black or red. But I would have it powdercoated not painted. That's my .02
Oh yea I will powder coat it
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Oh yea I will powder coat it
Shoot us a pic of the interior. I initially would've said red but if you have red interior, I would do black.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Black powdercoat is the only way to go!!
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

Shoot us a pic of the interior. I initially would've said red but if you have red interior, I would do black.
My interior as of now is empty without seats or panels lol. I am waiting for the powder coat guy and the delivery of sparco from Cali. DD the f250 for now
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
I'm going to do mine black then maybe get some custom lettering on it just for a little flash . And r u guna make it to where u can take sides out for daily driving?
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Either red or black is good
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
It has a custom swing out side bar for easy in and out. I told my powder coating guy that I was thinking about black and he reply that I was crazy because I pay too much money not to have it seen lol and I think it is true so red it is.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
It has a custom swing out side bar for easy in and out. I told my powder coating guy that I was thinking about black and he reply that I was crazy because I pay too much money not to have it seen lol and I think it is true so red it is.
It'll look awesome. If you don't mind me asking how much does it weigh? And how much is it gonna cost you to make and powdercoat it?
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

It'll look awesome. If you don't mind me asking how much does it weigh? And how much is it gonna cost you to make and powdercoat it?
Well it is already made and the end price for the cage was 1400 and power coating will be about 250-300 from an over the phone estimate I got. It is about 60-80 lbs I guess
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
How much is install?
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Well it is already made and the end price for the cage was 1400 and power coating will be about 250-300 from an over the phone estimate I got. It is about 60-80 lbs I guess
That ain't bad at all!
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
How much is install?
I am doing it all. I got quoted 2000 for the install and that is crazyyyy
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

I am doing it all. I got quoted 2000 for the install and that is crazyyyy
DAMMMMMMMMMN!

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

I definitely wanna see this after install. I may be doing the same to mine eventually
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Moore
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 44
good product if you don't wanna powdercoat.

VHT Roll Bar & Chassis Paint
Mr. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
So I have a 6 point with x and diagonal brace roll cage going in and I still haven't decide on the color. The car is red and the seats are Sparco evo 2 also in red, my question is will the roll cage in red look bad? What other color you guys do it in?
+1 above ^

This paint is real nice I used it on my exhaust tips. It suppose to be a flat black but looks more like a satin black finish. I bought it at advance auto.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-514723540.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	126009



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-689181105.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	126010
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
good product if you don't wanna powdercoat.

VHT Roll Bar & Chassis Paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

This paint is real nice I used it on my exhaust tips. It suppose to be a flat black but looks more like a satin black finish. I bought it at advance auto.
But it don't come in red and if I spent that much on a roll cage I wouldn't spray paint it.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

But it don't come in red and if I spent that much on a roll cage I wouldn't spray paint it.
If you know how to spray there should be no issues. My tips look like they are OEM.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

If you know how to spray there should be no issues. My tips look like they are OEM.
But still. Your car might look good with a rattle can paint job but a quality paint is just that, quality.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post
Why does everything you type have to be in some odd color? Blue, black, yellow, green. Your like a little rainbow of color in an otherwise dreary forum.
I'm glad to make you happy!
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

But still. Your car might look good with a rattle can paint job but a quality paint is just that, quality.
Right and VHT is high quality. If you know what you are doing you can make it look like it was sprayed from a gun and not a can. FYI I sprayed my heat extractors with a can of VHT.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3384671689.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	126116



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3049780003.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	126117

The spay cans costing $3 are crap. I paid $8 for the VHT at advance Auto
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #31
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,020
Even I can do a good job on a small item with a can, something the size of a roll cage takes real skill.
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Update: the roll cage was dropped off today for red powder coating and will be ready Friday
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #33
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Even I can do a good job on a small item with a can, something the size of a roll cage takes real skill.
Look at the angles and the tight corners on the heat extractors it's not easy getting the paint in the corners with out getting runs, over spray issues or having a heavy coat on the top surface. Spraying a roll cage would be easier. No tight corners or mismatched steps to deal with. I use to spray flat paint at an old job. Military green and desert sand. I have sprayed with guns and cans for many years. The small heat extractors are not for a person who does not spray much. Rattle can your heat extractors then tell me if it was easy. That is if you don't F them up.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Update: the roll cage was dropped off today for red powder coating and will be ready Friday
Nice, powder coating is the way to go cost more than painting but the finish is more durable too. Pics when its done.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
go black
Mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang50 View Post
go black
Already red and already installed
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:34 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.