GT500 muffler and resonator delete - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 80
GT500 muffler and resonator delete

Got my resonators deleted today at a local shop for $70. No drone and has same startup noise. Under throttle it's definitely louder, probably 15% louder and a little extra popping noise on decel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2699912325.jpg
Views:	7191
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	126325   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1264763485.jpg
Views:	3174
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	126326  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1457757278.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	126328   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1031939348.jpg
Views:	2118
Size:	578.7 KB
ID:	126329  

Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
SirWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Modesto, CA
Region: California
Posts: 32
So I understand, you added gt500 catbacks and deleted your stock gt/cs resonators?
SirWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 80
The gt500 axleback mufflers, and the stock resonators removed and replaced with straight pipes (picture 3).
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Lord NoMoney
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,630
very nice
__________________
@silverskoundrel
05 TL Mustang Base (the silverskoundrel) - sold
05 TL Mustang GT - sold
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Auburn
Region: California
Posts: 11
Is there anything spacial you have to do to get the gt 500 mufflers to fit a gt
Jjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
thecos54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 163
I'm new at this all, so don't laugh too much... What are resonators and do you have to have them on a DD?
thecos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjackson View Post
Is there anything spacial you have to do to get the gt 500 mufflers to fit a gt
Mine are made by Ford Racing they are gt500 style from American muscle. I didn't have to do anything special to make them fit, but if you get the quad tipped ones from a 2013+ gt500 mufflers you'll need the rear valence (lower part of rear bumper).

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos54 View Post
I'm new at this all, so don't laugh too much... What are resonators and do you have to have them on a DD?
Resonators are just a piece of the exhaust that muffles the sound as the exhaust flows out. By replacing these with straight pipes it makes the car a little louder.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
WadeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 137
Funny story, i had my car on the lift while i was painting my wheels and i noticed i only have one resonator, last year i took it to the shop to have headers and x pipe installed and this is what they did!!? I will be taking it back, if i ever get a day off..
WadeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Auburn
Region: California
Posts: 11
Ok thanks
Jjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeC View Post
Funny story, i had my car on the lift while i was painting my wheels and i noticed i only have one resonator, last year i took it to the shop to have headers and x pipe installed and this is what they did!!? I will be taking it back, if i ever get a day off..
Haha! Post pics if you have any!
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
WadeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

Haha! Post pics if you have any!
I will take some tomorrow..
WadeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
thecos54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post


Resonators are just a piece of the exhaust that muffles the sound as the exhaust flows out. By replacing these with straight pipes it makes the car a little louder.
Oh ok, are they required?
thecos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos54 View Post

Oh ok, are they required?
They're already on your car. Not sure what its like without them at all but I imagine its not great sound or for mpg haha
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
thecos54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

They're already on your car. Not sure what its like without them at all but I imagine its not great sound or for mpg haha
I know it's on my car.. I said is it required to stay on.. Sure if it wasn't great sound or that bad on the MPG, so many people wouldn't be doing it...
thecos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos54 View Post

I know it's on my car.. I said is it required to stay on.. Sure if it wasn't great sound or that bad on the MPG, so many people wouldn't be doing it...
Ohh like legally? No idea
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
thecos54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

Ohh like legally? No idea
Yes legally is what I meant.. Sorry
thecos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Got my resonators deleted today at a local shop for $70. No drone and has same startup noise. Under throttle it's definitely louder, probably 15% louder and a little extra popping noise on decel.
Sell them to me cough* cough*

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos54 View Post

Yes legally is what I meant.. Sorry
No they are only there to tame the sound thats all. If u remove them u will have a more free flowing exhaust and a tad bit louder
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
thecos54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
No they are only there to tame the sound thats all. If u remove them u will have a more free flowing exhaust and a tad bit louder
Your positive about this? What about tone, will it effect tone or just volume?
thecos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos54 View Post

Your positive about this? What about tone, will it effect tone or just volume?
Yes -.- some research could have answered these questions not to be rude or anything, too many people posts threads like this so the search feature on here is a great way to start for ur next question.

But yes they are ONLY there for sound. They aren't catalytic converters which are the only thing thats ilegal to be removed from our cars. No matter what smog testings its a federal crime. But the resonators have absolutely nothing to do with that so anyone can take them off.

They are there to tame the volume and rasp and crackling and poping. So if u have a raspy exhaust already, its gna get louder and more raspier. If u have a chambered muffler u will just notice it getting louder. I have straight pipes, resonator deletes, and no catts, my exhaust is stupid loud, ilegal, and a bit raspy which is why I want them put back on.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tpost08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Yes -.- some research could have answered these questions not to be rude or anything, too many people posts threads like this so the search feature on here is a great way to start for ur next question.

But yes they are ONLY there for sound. They aren't catalytic converters which are the only thing thats ilegal to be removed from our cars. No matter what smog testings its a federal crime. But the resonators have absolutely nothing to do with that so anyone can take them off.

They are there to tame the volume and rasp and crackling and poping. So if u have a raspy exhaust already, its gna get louder and more raspier. If u have a chambered muffler u will just notice it getting louder. I have straight pipes, resonator deletes, and no catts, my exhaust is stupid loud, ilegal, and a bit raspy which is why I want them put back on.
I plan on deleting soon. Maybe Friday when I get off depending how much my local shop cost. Where are you located in Texas.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post

I plan on deleting soon. Maybe Friday when I get off depending how much my local shop cost. Where are you located in Texas.
Im in El Paso bro
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Yes -.- some research could have answered these questions not to be rude or anything, too many people posts threads like this so the search feature on here is a great way to start for ur next question.

But yes they are ONLY there for sound. They aren't catalytic converters which are the only thing thats ilegal to be removed from our cars. No matter what smog testings its a federal crime. But the resonators have absolutely nothing to do with that so anyone can take them off.

They are there to tame the volume and rasp and crackling and poping. So if u have a raspy exhaust already, its gna get louder and more raspier. If u have a chambered muffler u will just notice it getting louder. I have straight pipes, resonator deletes, and no catts, my exhaust is stupid loud, ilegal, and a bit raspy which is why I want them put back on.
A couple months ago I was looking into this (specifically in PA) and to pass a visual inspection you have to have everything but mufflers.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tpost08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Im in El Paso bro
On lol. J/k. I was gunna say we could just meet up. But your practically New Mexico. That's 12 hours away. Lol. I could still possibly ship.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

A couple months ago I was looking into this (specifically in PA) and to pass a visual inspection you have to have everything but mufflers.
NOT if u buy a catback exhaust system or have your exhaust shop make you new OTA piping so it looks oem and passes all visual and smog testing

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post

On lol. J/k. I was gunna say we could just meet up. But your practically New Mexico. That's 12 hours away. Lol. I could still possibly ship.
It would prolly be expensive bro
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
[QUOTE=Charlie_santos;1778999]NOT if u buy a catback exhaust system or have your exhaust shop make you new OTA piping so it looks oem and passes all visual and smog testing [COLOR="Silver"]

Touche, saleman.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
WadeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

Haha! Post pics if you have any!
My single resonator!!! Opps

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130829_154154.png
Views:	951
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	126539
WadeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 80
Haha nice!
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
08Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeC View Post

My single resonator!!! Opps
What the?! Haha
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
WadeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post

What the?! Haha
Im clueless on how someone could miss this.. one side is new from header to muffler on the other its new but has an old crushed resonator welded in...maybe they didnt think i would notice?? Well it took a year but i did
WadeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
thecos54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeC View Post

Im clueless on how someone could miss this.. one side is new from header to muffler on the other its new but has an old crushed resonator welded in...maybe they didnt think i would notice?? Well it took a year but i did
Maybe they were doing it so it wasn't too loud for you... Lol who knows what they were smoking...
thecos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeC View Post

My single resonator!!! Opps
Wow that's crazy!! I'm assuming u got the car used
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
WadeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Wow that's crazy!! I'm assuming u got the car used
I did with 7800 miles then i took it to the shop to have headers and full exaust done among other things ..couldnt have been like that cause it was stock when i got it
WadeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
TCopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KCMO
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,260
I was researching resonator deletes and came upon this thread. I put Borla S types on mine, does anyone know if they will sound well if I delete the resonators?
__________________

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bonnie12V6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas City
Region: Missouri
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCopp View Post
I was researching resonator deletes and came upon this thread. I put Borla S types on mine, does anyone know if they will sound well if I delete the resonators?
I just heard a video earlier of a types with a res delete and it sounded kinda raspy to be honest. And I love the way the s type has that classic muscle sound. I'd just invest in a high flow Catted h pipe.
__________________
Ryan
'Sally' 2014 Mustang GT 5.0, Black
Shelby GT500 Axleback, Res delete, Barton shift bracket.
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie12V6 View Post

I just heard a video earlier of a types with a res delete and it sounded kinda raspy to be honest. And I love the way the s type has that classic muscle sound. I'd just invest in a high flow Catted h pipe.
Yea it does sound a bit raspier but its not a bad thing at all... I don't like rattle can raspy either but this is best to hear in person, its hard to get a good sound feed from an iPhone
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:21 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.