'14 GT Fuel Gauge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
'14 GT Fuel Gauge

Hey, I have a '14 GT and I believe my miles to empty readout is off. As you all know the gas light will come on and the miles to empty readout will stay illuminated until you refuel. The problem is I have never been able to fill more than 12.5 gallons into my mustang. Does anyone know if this is a common problem? The tanks on these cars hold 16 gallons. If it matters I have the standard 3.31 gears, a manual trans, and run 93 octane. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
depends on the time of day. lets say you go and fill up mid day suns out, you'll get more vapor fumes or something ( not too entirely sure honestly ) and it will take up space that the gas can't fill? not 100% on that. if the gas is not in the sun ( filling up at night ) I've gotten more gas in the tank at night than durin the day
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford302ize View Post
Hey, I have a '14 GT and I believe my miles to empty readout is off. As you all know the gas light will come on and the miles to empty readout will stay illuminated until you refuel. The problem is I have never been able to fill more than 12.5 gallons into my mustang. Does anyone know if this is a common problem? The tanks on these cars hold 16 gallons. If it matters I have the standard 3.31 gears, a manual trans, and run 93 octane. Thanks.
My .02 cents...

The low level warning, where the low fuel warning comes on is 50 miles to empty. Ford does not set it up so you could run out of gas. You can be sure there is about an extra gallon that is not compensated for in the CPU for the low level. You say you fill no more than 12.5 gallons. That leaves you with 3.5 gallons in your tank when you fill up assuming you are getting an average of about 20 mpg. Let's do the math minus that extra gallon I mentioned. 20 x 2.5 = 50miles (low warning level). So the extra gallon I believe is still in the tank at the 50 miles to empty. Is the discrepancy and why you think your miles to empty is off.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed, the low fuel level indicator comes on pretty early.
MGF08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
part of the reason is the split/straddle tank. You leave 1-2 gallons per side.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Service dept. told me it takes over 1,000 miles before it reads right. I had the same problem,he was right,now all is good
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefron50 View Post
Service dept. told me it takes over 1,000 miles before it reads right. I had the same problem,he was right,now all is good
I have a 2013 and have 6500 miles on it - The low gas warning still goes off when I'm at only 12 gallons used. I bet when the gas light comes on, you can still pull 75+ miles before you're stuck on the side of the road.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I tested this on mine a few weeks back. I drove it until the indicator said 0 miles to empty (with a gas can in my trunk just in case). I managed another 15miles after it said empty before I had to pull off and put in a gallon. I drove right to a gas station and put 15.5 gallons in her.

'13 GT with .373, I average ~21mpg, always 93 octane.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Be glad it doesn't run out when it says 0mi til empty. When my 05 said that, you might make it another block before you were walking.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGF08 View Post
Agreed, the low fuel level indicator comes on pretty early.
+1 here. At least on mine the gallons used seems pretty close - if it says 15.1 used, about 14.9 or 15 will fill it up. I pretty much ignore the light - they have it set very conservative.
Daryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
They set it that way so that your fuel pump will still be submerged in gas. They leave 1-2 gallons uncompensated for so that the pump will not over heat and prematurely fail. The miles to e is a guesstimate by the comp anyways. Hope this helped
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have a 12, and I can only put 13 gallons in mine before it overflows
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
They set it that way so that your fuel pump will still be submerged in gas. They leave 1-2 gallons uncompensated for so that the pump will not over heat and prematurely fail. The miles to e is a guesstimate by the comp anyways. Hope this helped
The man has done his home work.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #14

Region: California
I call BS on the time of day you fill up because once you open up the fuel tank the pressure is equal
Jjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjackson View Post
I call BS on the time of day you fill up because once you open up the fuel tank the pressure is equal
The time of day thing doesn't matter anymore... the tanks are all below ground and temperature doesn't play a factor... it used to when the gas pumps had the tanks above ground and visible
OCStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT