Shorty Headers, H-Pipe and more - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Shorty Headers, H-Pipe and more

I am making some modifications to let more air into the engine, so I am looking to upgrade my exhaust. I current have Borla S-Type axlebacks, which I really like, because there is pretty much no drone when taking it easy. I’d like to increase the volume at woot and achieve a old-school muscle car sound (lower note).

Please do not tell me to get long headers - I have to go with shorty headers, because I need to keep her street legal. I am also a daily driver, so I need to be able to pass DEQ.

What is suggested? Going with 2.75” tubes or getting 3” all the way back?

I am thinking of purchasing the follow from American Muscle:

* JBA Ceramic Cat4ward Shorty Headers
* JBA After-Cat H-Pipe - 3in to 2.75in

What am I missing? Should I reuse the stock cats or go with high-flow cats? Do I need a new cat-back, or can I use the stock pipes with my Borla axlebacks?

I am far from a mechanic and an exhaust guy, and would really like to make the right choice at first go. Please go easy on me and any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I also have Borla S Types, I did a resonator delete... Got 3' stainless steel pipes in place of them, very cheap alternative and makes it substantially louder WOT

http://youtu.be/aTrTAOmLVvY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1107982739.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	126838  
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
From what I've read i clearly understand staying legal with the shorty headers, just one problem with going three inch piping on anywhere in the exhaust. I believe almost 46 states in the U.S. require all road cars to have no more then 2.75 inch exhaust piping. Increasing any diameter of piping creates less resistance causing an increase in decibels. So really it's up to you on the piping, my suggestion would be to head over to an exhaust shop and tell them you want basically 2.75" straight pipes(or near it) while still keeping your Borla axleback. Believe it or not the piping stock wise under your car is horrid, it reduces and expands in the most random of areas all just to keep it within decibel limit of under 94.9. The piping gets as small as 2.25" in some areas and others get as wide as 2.81.

BTW the link for your header is showing up as a 99-04 shorty header. One more suggestion for a header would be to definitely check out KooKs mid-length header. They are CA legal and give almost the same amount of HP/TQ of any stand alone Long Tube. Also yes you can re-use your stock cats. On second thought the mid-lengths give an exotic sound you wanted low-tone, either way check out KooKs.

You may or may not have bolt up problems with your axleback and the catback, companies like to tweak their products so only their products fit with each other most of the time. Sometimes you get lucky and that's not the case, HOPEFULLY. One last thing, their are no HIGH-FLOW cats for California, if you don't live in CA.... THEN GOOD FOR YOU!!! Sad for me
draxxus131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxxus131 View Post
From what I've read i clearly understand staying legal with the shorty headers, just one problem with going three inch piping on anywhere in the exhaust. I believe almost 46 states in the U.S. require all road cars to have no more then 2.75 inch exhaust piping. Increasing any diameter of piping creates less resistance causing an increase in decibels. So really it's up to you on the piping, my suggestion would be to head over to an exhaust shop and tell them you want basically 2.75" straight pipes(or near it) while still keeping your Borla axleback. Believe it or not the piping stock wise under your car is horrid, it reduces and expands in the most random of areas all just to keep it within decibel limit of under 94.9. The piping gets as small as 2.25" in some areas and others get as wide as 2.81.

BTW the link for your header is showing up as a 99-04 shorty header. One more suggestion for a header would be to definitely check out KooKs mid-length header. They are CA legal and give almost the same amount of HP/TQ of any stand alone Long Tube. Also yes you can re-use your stock cats. On second thought the mid-lengths give an exotic sound you wanted low-tone, either way check out KooKs.

You may or may not have bolt up problems with your axleback and the catback, companies like to tweak their products so only their products fit with each other most of the time. Sometimes you get lucky and that's not the case, HOPEFULLY. One last thing, their are no HIGH-FLOW cats for California, if you don't live in CA.... THEN GOOD FOR YOU!!! Sad for me
Thank you for the info - I am checking out KooK and cannot find the "mid-length header" you are referring to. I checked out KooK's website, along with a number of other sites and just don't see it. Any chance you can send me the part number? I found their shorty headers (part # 164100), which look great! I am now considering them.

I will contact a local exhaust shop to see what they can offer and suggest.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I also have Borla S Types, I did a resonator delete... Got 3' stainless steel pipes in place of them, very cheap alternative and makes it substantially louder WOT

Borla axleback w/ resonator delete - YouTube
That is a great suggestion! I will check with a local exhaust shop and see what they can offer. Thank you!!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
These are the Kooks mid length headers. Everyone that sells them calls them long tubes but they're really a mid length.
Kooks 1-7/8in Mustang Long Tube Headers (2011-2014 GT) 60-41-188

It sounds like you're looking for the Kooks shorty's.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SELENE View Post
I am making some modifications to let more air into the engine, so I am looking to upgrade my exhaust. I current have Borla S-Type axlebacks, which I really like, because there is pretty much no drone when taking it easy. I’d like to increase the volume at woot and achieve a old-school muscle car sound (lower note).

Please do not tell me to get long headers - I have to go with shorty headers, because I need to keep her street legal. I am also a daily driver, so I need to be able to pass DEQ.

What is suggested? Going with 2.75” tubes or getting 3” all the way back?

I am thinking of purchasing the follow from American Muscle:

* JBA Ceramic Cat4ward Shorty Headers
* JBA After-Cat H-Pipe - 3in to 2.75in

What am I missing? Should I reuse the stock cats or go with high-flow cats? Do I need a new cat-back, or can I use the stock pipes with my Borla axlebacks?

I am far from a mechanic and an exhaust guy, and would really like to make the right choice at first go. Please go easy on me and any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Shorty headers and an After-Cat H-Pipe will definitely help with your exhaust note. Your car will have a deeper tone and will be much louder with this set up!

If you're looking to stay "Legal" then you're going to have to go with an after-cat X/H-pipe and keep the stock cats. High flow cats aren't much better than no cats, so they most likely won't pass emissions either.

Your current axle back is fine, you won't have to get a different axle back unless you change the size of your over axle pipes. Like suggested above, you could also just delete the rear resonators. That will definitely make your Mustang much louder! Shorty headers and an after-cat mid pipe will be the most beneficial in the power department though.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Shorty headers and an After-Cat H-Pipe will definitely help with your exhaust note. Your car will have a deeper tone and will be much louder with this set up!
Can you confirm approx how much louder it will be when idle if I went with the JBA's as I suggested above? I know that is a hard question to answer, but I'm NOT looking for a lot of volume unless I'm punching it. I originally had Flowmasters and it drove my neighbors nuts, so I switched to the Borla S-Types. I'd like to keep my ride somewhat quite unless I'm on it. And I can't deal with drone, as I'm a daily driver. Thank you for your help!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Can you confirm approx how much louder it will be when idle if I went with the JBA's as I suggested above? I know that is a hard question to answer, but I'm NOT looking for a lot of volume unless I'm punching it. I originally had Flowmasters and it drove my neighbors nuts, so I switched to the Borla S-Types. I'd like to keep my ride somewhat quite unless I'm on it. And I can't deal with drone, as I'm a daily driver. Thank you for your help!
Magnaflow ABs will suit your needs perfectly. I had them with LT's o/rx and didn't like them because they were to quiet, unless your at wot.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
The stock shorty headers flow decent, so at idle the car shouldn't be too much louder. They'll definitely pick up some power and torque, along with being louder at WOT! Every exhaust combination is different so it's hard to say exactly how it will sound but I don't think it will be too much louder at idle.

I wish I could be more help on this!

-Dan
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
The stock shorty headers flow decent, so at idle the car shouldn't be too much louder. They'll definitely pick up some power and torque, along with being louder at WOT! Every exhaust combination is different so it's hard to say exactly how it will sound but I don't think it will be too much louder at idle.
Thanks Dan! I'm gonna order up the headers and h-pipe soon.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Dan! I'm gonna order up the headers and h-pipe soon.
Awesome! I think you'll be really happy with that set up. Shoot me a PM if you want the 6% forums exclusive discount.

-Dan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT