Cat Delete Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
For those of you who have them, how do you like them? Are there any notable performance gains/losses? Are they too loud? Do your neighbors/cops get upset about it? Would you rather have high flow cats? Really, what are your thoughts on them?

I have a friend who is usually spot on when it comes to mod suggestions and he wants me to pick up a set, but I wanted some forum feedback before making a purchase. Thanks for in advance for your input.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I have bbk's and yes notice able difference dropped me a 10th in 300 ft thats really good imo but dont have a 1/4 mile track close by so no time slips other then that and yes it will make it louder buy alot but if you have a good axle back u like they sound more crisp but louder
jaymoe5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm set up on Roush right now.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post
I'm set up on Roush right now.
Those sounds great with off road pipes
Old 08-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Do it and don't look back.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know! My only concern is upsetting my neighbors. But, we deal with bikes riding up and down the road all the time, and they're pretty loud.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Its really not that loud just cold starts and when your at wot
Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ultimately I want long tubes but that's not in the cards right now. Anybody running these with Roush axle backs?
Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Look at my signature. Everything there is installed. Although there are no smog requirements in Indiana, plenty of places will not delete your cats. I would rather have them on, no since in giving the police probable cause for a free lookzy in my car.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Look at my signature. Everything there is installed. Although there are no smog requirements in Indiana, plenty of places will not delete your cats. I would rather have them on, no since in giving the police probable cause for a free lookzy in my car.
Lol, if they want to looky in your car, they will. Ever hear of crossing the centerline, even when there's not one.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Can these run on the car without a tune for a while?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

If u want a check engine light, yes.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
If u want a check engine light, yes.
But you still have the COT feature to deal with. A tune is the right way to do it.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post

But you still have the COT feature to deal with. A tune is the right way to do it.
Never said it wasn't.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What does C.O.T. stand for so I can research it. I'm not buying what I've read on this forum about the car dumping gas to cool the cats. A car would have to have a controled misfire inorder to get the gas into the exhaust. In my experience, when you have gas in a hot exhaust, it back fires.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
What does C.O.T. stand for so I can research it. I'm not buying what I've read on this forum about the car dumping gas to cool the cats. A car would have to have a controled misfire inorder to get the gas into the exhaust. In my experience, when you have gas in a hot exhaust, it back fires.
Cat Overtemp Protection. You can buy it or not but it exists in the 2011+ cars and must be dealt with.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cat Overtemp Protection. You can buy it or not but it exists in the 2011+ cars and must be dealt with.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I had a pretty lengthy discussion about the matter to my friend who recommended them, he says that they would throw a CEL at first but that eventually it will go away once the car learns what's happening. I suggested he and I throw them on at the tune shop when we do the Boss IM. He says that it would be better to put them on before for relearn time and to make sure there are no leaks. I do know, though, that the CEL will be thrown. Will running these without a tune cause damage to my engine?

And this is the first I've heard of COT. Is this something I should be concerned with? What are those side effects like?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had a pretty lengthy discussion about the matter to my friend who recommended them, he says that they would throw a CEL at first but that eventually it will go away once the car learns what's happening. I suggested he and I throw them on at the tune shop when we do the Boss IM. He says that it would be better to put them on before for relearn time and to make sure there are no leaks. I do know, though, that the CEL will be thrown. Will running these without a tune cause damage to my engine?

And this is the first I've heard of COT. Is this something I would have to contend with? What are those side effects like?
Your friend says the CEL will eventually go away?

Yes you must turn off the COT feature via a tune or the car will continue to dump fuel to cool the cats which are no longer present. Will it damage the engine? Probably not. But it won't run properly.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

VMP told me what grabber blue is saying. Almost verbatim.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't you have a tune already? How are you getting away with 4.10's without one? Or is your speedometer and odometer just way off?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't you have a tune already? How are you getting away with 4.10's without one? Or is your speedometer and odometer just way off?
Well, that's the question we have all been asking here. My speedometer is off by about 5mph. I bought the car from a dodge dealer with the gears already installed. They weren't really sure what kind of gears were on there (they said they thought 3.90), but that they had adjusted the speedometer to compensate. Whether or not the car is tuned? I doubt it, simply because this car had a warranty long block installed at the dealer just prior to its trade in at Addy's Harbor Dodge. Not to mention that my stock red line is still I place and I figure that would have been one of the items modified by the tune.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

There are guys on YouTube that say the bbk cat delete pipes are very hard to seal, they say they leak pretty good. Have any of you heard otherwise?

OP why not just save u for some long tubes and catless x or h pipe?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are guys on YouTube that say the bbk cat delete pipes are very hard to seal, they say they leak pretty good. Have any of you heard otherwise?

That's my long term goal. The cat deletes are a stop gap measure at this point. However, being that I just dropped $550 on the Boss Manifold and my SCT Tuner, with another $200 for the tune its self of the horizon, It may be a while before I get there. Eventually, I will have long tubes, though.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Mine leaked at the ball/socket joints. I think the BBK pipes were too large for the stock H-pipe if I remember correctly. I put up with them for a day and then had a muffler shop take the clamps off and weld them up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT