erratic steering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
erratic steering

Everything has been a mess after messing with my suspension. Im seriously considering trading my car in for this 2012 gt500 I spotted.

On acceloration my car wants to go left and when I let off the gas it straightens out. The steering feels out of control too. Kinda like it has a mind of its own and starts randomly going another direction. I hope its just a loose lca or something. This isnt a bumpsteer issue, but I dont know what it is. Between this, gear whine and all of the squeaks I get from my suspension, im going crazy.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Vorshlag had similar issues on his autocross buildup documented here Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - auto-x/track build - Vorshlag Motorsports Forum
this is apparently a known issue after changing out certain front suspension components and has to do with the programming in the electric steering assist. The good news is that there is a fix for it and you can replace the existing electric steering assist with one that doesn't have the problem. I am not 100% certain that this is the same issue but it sounds like it with the information you have provided.

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Road Trip!

I thought that was with the aftermarket front lca's though. Either way I prepared to either a. Trade in the car. Or b. Spend 2k+ on a new susoension set up. I really think its just sonething out of alignment or sonething loose. I havent aligned the car since lowering. So we will see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Why didnt you get an alignment after you lowered it? Every truck I lift and car I lower as soon as I get it off jack stands I take it to get an alignment immediately.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
Why didnt you get an alignment after you lowered it? Every truck I lift and car I lower as soon as I get it off jack stands I take it to get an alignment immediately.
Common sense is not all that common.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Common sense is not all that common.
I wanted my suspension to settle first. Im not showing any abnormal tire wear. My springs have settled, which could be why im having this issue. But... ive decided to get the 12 gt500, and I don't think ill be lowering it either.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

I wanted my suspension to settle first. Im not showing any abnormal tire wear. My springs have settled, which could be why im having this issue. But... ive decided to get the 12 gt500, and I don't think ill be lowering it either.
A Shelby, very nice! I'm considering the same thing right now.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Yeah. The 12's are really cheap right now. I found one with 3k miles on it. I would really miss the look if the 13-14, but its so tempting. Im going tomorrow to work on financing and negotiating it. Hopefully I'll leave with it.

After further thought...I think my current car just need an alignment and to re torque my lcas. I also discovered today that my steering somehow went to standard steering on its own. That could be the loose feeling I described. And I think the rest is alignment related. Checked my tie rods ect... and they seem fine. I did however find a huge melted plastic bag on my mid pipe lol. I was wondering what that burning smell was : / if I keep this car, im going to look into coilovers instead.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I happen to think the 11-12 mustang are worlds better than the 13+ in the looks department but the 5.4 is not going to be what you expect. The 5.0s power curve is completely different the 5.4 and they are really underpowered feeling from stock. Many bolt on 5.0s actually compete with stock 10-12 gt500s pretty well, but that can be easily changed with a blower swap on the gt500.

I was attempting to finance a 2011 gt500 and they simply wanted too much money for the car. Looking at financing a year old car already back in 2012, the 2012. 5.0 I got was a no brainer because it was 10k cheaper and practically no miles. Financing 40k+ without putting alot down brings up payments Id rather not stare down the barrel at lol. I know the prices have dropped since then, but unless you're ahead on your 5.0 you are going to have to cut some losses.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT