How fast, "NOS" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
OzzyLiriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,238
How fast, "NOS"

I am looking into a zex blacked out wet kit, but how fast can the bottle heat with the Zex adjustable heater? Or is there another brand that get the the 900 -1000 psi quicker? I am looking to build a kit that sprays with in my rpm range 3000 to 6000, just started doing research on the best nos kit for a 5.0. I mainly would like something that will be ready at any moment, maybe its not possible or maybe it is. Max I want is a 100 shot.
Here is the link to the heater
http://www.zex.com/zx/zextm-adjustab...le-heaterhtml/
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
mystang50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
I am looking into a zex blacked out wet kit, but how fast can the bottle heat with the Zex adjustable heater? Or is there another brand that get the the 900 -1000 psi quicker? I am looking to build a kit that sprays with in my rpm range 3000 to 6000, just started doing research on the best nos kit for a 5.0. I mainly would like something that will be ready at any moment, maybe its not possible or maybe it is. Max I want is a 100 shot.
Here is the link to the heater
ZEX™ ZEX™ Adjustable Nitrous Bottle Heater
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/nitrous...cessories.html

You could try looking into this, or a diff set up...seems a little bit cheaper
__________________
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
OzzyLiriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/nitrous...cessories.html

You could try looking into this, or a diff set up...seems a little bit cheaper
"This" is just a whole bunch bottle heaters lol
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
I thought it was Paxton for you, now it's nitrous, you're seeming to whip around like a flag in a tornado.

Anyway. how long depends on how full the bottle is. It can take longer when the bottle is down a bit. Takes very little time when the bottles full. I made my own out of an old seat heater and a couple relays and a thermo switch, last time I did this.

I loved nitrous, didn't love filling bottles all the time but, that's how it is. Especially on hot track days, it was unbeatable.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
OzzyLiriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I thought it was Paxton for you, now it's nitrous, you're seeming to whip around like a flag in a tornado.

Anyway. how long depends on how full the bottle is. It can take longer when the bottle is down a bit. Takes very little time when the bottles full. I made my own out of an old seat heater and a couple relays and a thermo switch, last time I did this.

I loved nitrous, didn't love filling bottles all the time but, that's how it is. Especially on hot track days, it was unbeatable.
Thats my biggest issue, its hot as **** in miami and I dont think the paxton kit is the bang for the buck right now.
For half the money I could do the same numbers and not worry about heat or humidity. Plus I love how my car runs now, I just want a few extra ponies when I really want to race and when I dont its off. Paxton kit is what I would want to do but it nos right now is my last alternative before I pull the trigger.

How many 100 shots can I get of a bottle and what are the prices to refill them at this moment?
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
I don't know much about NOS, but doesn't it make your engine run on borrowed time?? Wear and tear is more??
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I don't know much about NOS, but doesn't it make your engine run on borrowed time?? Wear and tear is more??
My Neighbor s2000 just when BOOOOOOM because of over a year of NOS usage.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

My Neighbor s2000 just when BOOOOOOM because of over a year of NOS usage.
Yea I figured NOS is more worth it if u race for a living, and have the $$ to swap engines... I'm trying to stay NA maybe supercharge down the road but I wanna see what these coyotes can take b4 I go that route
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Yea nos has it's ups and downs, it definitely can kill an engine, it isn't as heavenly as the fast and furious makes it out to be
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
Nitrous doesn't kill engines, dip**** tuning and poor shot control kills them. If you have a progressive controller and a well thought out nitrous tune, it's as safe as any other power adder. I ran nitrous for years on my last Mustang. In that case, 100 shot was a sweet midway between too much nitrous use and tuning difficulty with the setup I was running. You'd get 4-5 hits out of a 10 lb bottle on 100 before it started to fade. With a bottle heater you could add 1-2 more.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Nitrous doesn't kill engines, dip**** tuning and poor shot control kills them. If you have a progressive controller and a well thought out nitrous tune, it's as safe as any other power adder. I ran nitrous for years on my last Mustang. In that case, 100 shot was a sweet midway between too much nitrous use and tuning difficulty with the setup I was running. You'd get 4-5 hits out of a 10 lb bottle on 100 before it started to fade. With a bottle heater you could add 1-2 more.
Is the name calling necessary? Im really getting tired of this forum its everyday someone is being a douc he, this is a place for discusions and knowledge please keep ur opinion out of it if it's offensive
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post

Is the name calling necessary? Im really getting tired of this forum its everyday someone is being a douc he, this is a place for discusions and knowledge please keep ur opinion out of it if it's offensive
I don't think he was name calling, he was referring to a tune.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Yea true I read it wrong lol
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Yea true I read it wrong lol
Haha I had to go back and re read as well lmao
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
So what exactly do you want to know about spraying on the coyote? I have been doing it. Had my ups and downs with it.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ish416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winchester
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,209
I've been running a 150 shot on my Z28 since 2005. I have never had any issues what so ever.

At one point I was rotating through 3 bottles, twice a week for that entire year, March - November. Car still runs solid on or off the bottle and it's a 100% stock bottom end LS1 with 90,000 miles.

As 5LHO mentioned, it's all in the tune and how/when you use it.

As for the OP's question about a bottle heater I've always tried to keep the bottle pressure between 950 - 1050 lbs. In temps above 80F, it was usually close to ideal bottle pressure so the heater wasn't always needed. If it were needed, typically within several minutes (5 - 10) the bottle pressure was good. In cooler weather (50 - 60) the bottle heater would need to be on for maybe 30- 40 minutes before the pressure was ideal, depending on how full the bottle was. Also, this is with a 250w bottle heater and a bottle blanket.

I typically pay about $4.00 - $5.50 per lbs of nitrous for a single 10lbs bottle, so $40 - $55. These seem to be the typical mid-west prices. If I refill all 3 bottles, most places usually discount about $1 per pound, so $30 - $45 per bottle. Prices vary depending on where you are/who you know. These are the prices I've been paying for the last several years. I've heard the east and west coast can be up to $8.00 per lb.

Also, on a 150 shot, I was getting 5 or 6 passes on the strip or 4 to 5 pulls from 50 - 150.
__________________
99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - 6.676 @ 103 in 1/8, 10.512 @ 130.2 on street tires, H/C/I
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd - Built 6 Bolt, 16G Evo3, HKS 272 Cams - under construction
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
My car is curently fully forged with a 300 shot.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
My car is curently fully forged with a 300 shot.
Sounds slow jk
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Sounds slow jk
Just a little lol
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 412
Any times yet Rap?
__________________
Previous: '02 GT, '04 GT, '07 GT & a few chevys in between
'13 GT
Woodga16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
OzzyLiriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I've been running a 150 shot on my Z28 since 2005. I have never had any issues what so ever.

At one point I was rotating through 3 bottles, twice a week for that entire year, March - November. Car still runs solid on or off the bottle and it's a 100% stock bottom end LS1 with 90,000 miles.

As 5LHO mentioned, it's all in the tune and how/when you use it.

As for the OP's question about a bottle heater I've always tried to keep the bottle pressure between 950 - 1050 lbs. In temps above 80F, it was usually close to ideal bottle pressure so the heater wasn't always needed. If it were needed, typically within several minutes (5 - 10) the bottle pressure was good. In cooler weather (50 - 60) the bottle heater would need to be on for maybe 30- 40 minutes before the pressure was ideal, depending on how full the bottle was. Also, this is with a 250w bottle heater and a bottle blanket.

I typically pay about $4.00 - $5.50 per lbs of nitrous for a single 10lbs bottle, so $40 - $55. These seem to be the typical mid-west prices. If I refill all 3 bottles, most places usually discount about $1 per pound, so $30 - $45 per bottle. Prices vary depending on where you are/who you know. These are the prices I've been paying for the last several years. I've heard the east and west coast can be up to $8.00 per lb.

Also, on a 150 shot, I was getting 5 or 6 passes on the strip or 4 to 5 pulls from 50 - 150.
Yeah 45 bucks per bottle is mad expensive, rather wait for graduation to get paxton **** that! Lol dss, brembos and cowl hood will a better mod for now lol

Im bringing the cowl hood back from the old 5.0s to the modern era for the miami 5.0, its about that time. Next mod coming up!
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post

Yeah 45 bucks per bottle is mad expensive, rather wait for graduation to get paxton **** that! Lol dss, brembos and cowl hood will a better mod for now lol

Im bringing the cowl hood back from the old 5.0s to the modern era for the miami 5.0, its about that time. Next mod coming up!
WE are bringing it back to miami lol .
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
OzzyLiriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

WE are bringing it back to miami lol .
Hahahaha yup
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16 View Post
Any times yet Rap?
Not yet. Looking into swaping to a auto now.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
OzzyLiriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Not yet. Looking into swaping to a auto now.
Now were talking
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
CorDog009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 264
nos or NOS = Nitrous Oxide Systems = a company/brand.

Nitrous, nitrous oxide, or N2O should be used when referring to it in general.

"NAWSSSSS" or "NOSSS" is an abomination and should never be spoken as a word, and is a result of the stupid Fast & Furious crap.
__________________
'13 Deep Impact Blue GT, auto, BBK cat deletes, GT-500 A/B's, C&L tuned DiabloSport inTune, sound tube delete, BBK 85mm TB, JLT oil separator, NX plate kit.
CorDog009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
nos or NOS = Nitrous Oxide Systems = a company/brand.

Nitrous, nitrous oxide, or N2O should be used when referring to it in general.

"NAWSSSSS" or "NOSSS" is an abomination and should never be spoken as a word, and is a result of the stupid Fast & Furious crap.
BOOM!!!!!!! I love that movie lmbo
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

BOOM!!!!!!! I love that movie lmbo
I love that entire series of movies.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Martinsville
Region: Virginia
Posts: 227
I bought the NX Plate Kit System from American Muscle for my 2014 5.0. Let me go ahead and say, it's awesome. I had already purchased a iTSX Wireless Tuner and have the BAMA Lifetime Tunes since i purchased it from American Muscle. I got 50, 75, and 100 Shot Tunes, all for 93 Octane of course.

Current times:
8.7 - BONE STOCK, poor track prep
8.4 - BAMA 93-Race, rained 2 hours prior to running, spun through 1st, spun in 2nd, and a little in 3rd.

Haven't been back to the strip with Nitrous, but I did get to play around with a Civic that made 521 CRANK horsepower on a closed street (legal street run). Mind you that 521 HP motor is in a 1600 LB car. We both had passengers. 60 MPH Roll (his race)

Results:
No Spray - He pulled me by 3 cars (he jumped me)
Spray (125 shot) - Both hit at the same time, he never got past my door, and I kept pulling him for days.

Nitrous scares so many people because of the way people use it. You cannot just throw a kit on a car and dump a pile of gas on it and hope everything holds. It's all in the tune and making sure to keep an eye on A/F. Running lean on nitrous kills your motor; running rich, ehhh not AS bad, but you should Data Log a pull and get BAMA to refine your tunes.

I ran a 125 shot on BAMA's 100 shot tune. Was I taking a risk? Yes, I was, and I was prepared for anything that may have went wrong because I was responsible for upping the jets just a touch. Did I run lean? No, I ran a little rich actually. Could I tell a difference with Nitrous? Oh holy God yes. Would I have made the nitrous purchase again if I had the chance or saved up for Forced Induction? Doubtful, I'm extremely pleased with it.

One thing you should note: ZEX's advertised HP gain is CRANK horsepower, not WHEEL. Nitrous Express (NX) kits advertised HP gain is WHEEL horsepower. May be a little more expensive but NX is a really really good company and well respected among the car enthusiast community. Not saying ZEX isn't because they do make quality products (I purchased their Dual Purge Kit).

Just pay attention to the fine print, and the instructions. They tell you what not to do, and what to look out for. Just don't slap it on there and go for a joy ride; because bad stuff happens when you don't pay attention to detail.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Some of information is verry misleading. Running rich can ruin ring glands on tge coyote. Running email tune for nitrous is stupid. Pistons in the coyote suck they are complete ****.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Martinsville
Region: Virginia
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Some of information is verry misleading. Running rich can ruin ring glands on tge coyote. Running email tune for nitrous is stupid. Pistons in the coyote suck they are complete ****.
Well yeah, running rich or lean is bad on any engine, but running lean is far worse; I think we can all agree on that, right?

How is running a small shot on a e-mail tune stupid?

I'm not trying to start an argument or be rude, in case anything came off that way.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post

Well yeah, running rich or lean is bad on any engine, but running lean is far worse; I think we can all agree on that, right?

How is running a small shot on a e-mail tune stupid?

I'm not trying to start an argument or be rude, in case anything came off that way.
Email tune is just not smart for nitrous at all. You have to watch the air/fuel on these cars. It can go lean right on the hit then go good. Alot of tunners will not nitice this. Exp bama. I personally think bama is complete junk.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Martinsville
Region: Virginia
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Email tune is just not smart for nitrous at all. You have to watch the air/fuel on these cars. It can go lean right on the hit then go good. Alot of tunners will not nitice this. Exp bama. I personally think bama is complete junk.
That's exactly why I pay attention to my A/F whenever I'm spraying. My eyes are on 2 things, A/F and the track, nothing else. I never go wide open (WOT Switch) below 3250 and my ratio has been good when I was spraying.

I've read mixed things about BAMA, but I for one have had a great experience. I get my tunes within a few hours and I can see and feel the difference. I think for what they can offer, they're doing the best out of anyone.

With that said, I truly believe running nitrous requires a dyno tune, by professionals who have dealt with nitrous. I just happen to be running e-mail tune's until I get into bigger jets, forced induction, and/or bigger mods.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
My Neighbor s2000 just when BOOOOOOM because of over a year of NOS usage.
This means nothing....
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post

This means nothing....
I am sorry if u thought it was support to mean something lol
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:42 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.