Best Tune for Custom Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Best Tune for Custom Intake

I have a 2012 GT. I've really been wanting to tune my car but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about Procal, Bama, and Steeda. There isn't a dyno shop within 50 miles of where I live either.

The only mods I have are a custom muffler delete done by a local shop and a custom intake I made out of Spectre parts from Autozone. The Tubing is the same as stock (3.5"), stock MAF sensor, and Spectre oiled filter. In appearance, it is similar to a BBK intake. So my question is what do you guys think my best option is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	128157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	128158  

vSloopv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
First is get rid of that custom air filter, FYI the factory airbox is already a cold air setup... There is no box or anything keeping the heat of the engine out of there, tune is basically the best gain u can get as one of the earlier mods...
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Looks pretty good man but honestly i really think you should put the stock intake back in... Its already a cai just replace the paper filter for a k&n and get a tune... I have a bama tune and responded amazing with my car... Im running mid 12s in the quarter with 20s trapping 116 mph.. I finally got my mustang dynoed and shes laying down 404 to the wheels and 385 lbs of torque... No matter what direction you go you will notice a differance... All those companies you mentioned are very reputable...
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Your custom air filter looks cool, but look at the comparison of functionality of mine vs yours... The factory snorkel is behind the grill, and u can see when I close my hood I trap the cooler air in.... Yours is all open sucking in all the hot air
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1474284996.png
Views:	181
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	128167  
Old 09-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
As everyone stated go back to the stock air box. I'd bet money you're losing power.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #6

Region: Florida
I had attempted to build a CAI with my v6.... It took me from a 13.5 to a 13.8. It sounds nice, but it does hurt because the aircharge temp is so high....
JasinEdward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies! I too was worried about the possibility of power loss without having a heat shield. My original thoughts were to go with an AEM intake bc it has the box with it that goes to the stock funnel. I may end up going that route now.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by vSloopv View Post
I have a 2012 GT. I've really been wanting to tune my car but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about Procal, Bama, and Steeda. There isn't a dyno shop within 50 miles of where I live either.

The only mods I have are a custom muffler delete done by a local shop and a custom intake I made out of Spectre parts from Autozone. The Tubing is the same as stock (3.5"), stock MAF sensor, and Spectre oiled filter. In appearance, it is similar to a BBK intake. So my question is what do you guys think my best option is?
A custom tune is going to be the most beneficial mod you can do for your 2012 GT. There's a ton of great tuners out there so I'm confident that no matter who you decide to go with, you'll be extremely happy! If you decide to go with a Bama tuner, we can definitely write you a safe and powerful tune. Even on a stock 2011+ GT, we've seen gains of 25+ RWHP and 20+RWTQ!

When writing a Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver.

Are you having any issues with the Spectre intake on your car right now? Most intakes require a tune, so I would assume you may throw a CEL or have some drive ability issues currently. You may need to send us some datalogs so that we can make the proper adjustments for that custom intake but it shouldn't be a problem!

Hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the future! You can also hit up the Bama team if you'd like. They can be reached at the contact information in my signature!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #9

Im not having any issues with it. It's been great actually. I kept the tubing same as stock along with the maf sensor/adapter. I notice a slight improvement on acceleration in the 2500-4000 range. MPGs are also up, before he I was around 21.5 going to and from work now it's typically around 22-23 depending on traffic.

The only concern I had was air temperature with my intake.

I am just curious to know what my intake could do for power increase (or if it decreases) with and without tune but Ill probably go with a different intake for the sake of cooler air.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vSloopv View Post
Im not having any issues with it. It's been great actually. I kept the tubing same as stock along with the maf sensor/adapter. I notice a slight improvement on acceleration in the 2500-4000 range. MPGs are also up, before he I was around 21.5 going to and from work now it's typically around 22-23 depending on traffic.

The only concern I had was air temperature with my intake.

I am just curious to know what my intake could do for power increase (or if it decreases) with and without tune but Ill probably go with a different intake for the sake of cooler air.
Good to know, at least your aware that hot air would be the issue... But if your changing the filter eventually, keep in mind that the "tune only" filter are the only ones worth getting, because of the larger inlet tube... Even those make 3-5 hp gain at best, but they look and sound pretty awesome and I still don't regret my Steeda intake, I can't imagine what the "no tune" intakes do, I'm sure your not gaining anything... The biggest gain comes from the actual tune, a proper CAI is just the icing on the cake

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT