Straight pipes????? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Straight pipes?????

What benefits are there to having straight pipe exhaust? If any
MarkCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Weight saving is one.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Sense I have actual "straight" pipes let me be the first to say there arnt any. All you get is a **** ton of rasp and lots of noise. Sounds pretty good at wide open but every other time not so much
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
Sense I have actual "straight" pipes let me be the first to say there arnt any. All you get is a **** ton of rasp and lots of noise. Sounds pretty good at wide open but every other time not so much
I bout my car used got up on the stand and saw that it had straights. It's way to loud for my taste
MarkCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I took off my pipes after the h- pipe and it dumps in the middle and I love the hell out of it , been like that for 5 months . I want roush with an x-pipe but until then stuck with free loud exhaust
jaredGTneelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Premature deafness as the S197 is GREAT at turning into a kettle drum with uncontrolled exhaust resonance. Lots of attention from the police and a general malaise settling over your social status in the neighbourhood.

Oh, and probably some small power loss due to the uncontrolled nature of the exhaust flow. Ideally one wants as laminar (smooth) flow as the pulses will allow. Straight pipes could just as easily induce turbulence and reduce flow. Hard to predict that without a direct test. However, probably no gain to be had here is safe to say.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCoyote View Post
What benefits are there to having straight pipe exhaust? If any
The benefits will show up if you race more than you drive. An open exhaust is best when your at full throttle.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have straight pipes and it is loud. But if you're a true enthusiast and your rockin a slammed stang with suspension and engine upgrades and tunes I think you'd grow to loving it.

Pros:
- aggressive exhaust note from low RPM rumble to WOT wail
- engine is slightly more responsive and my butt dyno says its a bit faster than before
- turns the mild mannered stang into a carnal carnivorous beast just by sound alone

Cons:
- loud. Not everyday is race day
- inspection issues
- smells like gasoline

As for the loudness I found a slight fix to it. I used 104+ Octane Booster one time and my exhaust was quieter. Almost back to pre-testpipe loudness. Even WOT sounded a bit more subdued. Now I used that trick on dates so I can actually hear her say something.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I have straight pipes and it is loud. But if you're a true enthusiast and your rockin a slammed stang with suspension and engine upgrades and tunes I think you'd grow to loving it.

Pros:
- aggressive exhaust note from low RPM rumble to WOT wail
- engine is slightly more responsive and my butt dyno says its a bit faster than before
- turns the mild mannered stang into a carnal carnivorous beast just by sound alone

Cons:
- loud. Not everyday is race day
- inspection issues
- smells like gasoline

As for the loudness I found a slight fix to it. I used 104+ Octane Booster one time and my exhaust was quieter. Almost back to pre-testpipe loudness. Even WOT sounded a bit more subdued. Now I used that trick on dates so I can actually hear her say something.
Da fuq?
Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm... Peace officer I was just kidding about the straight pipes! I still got my cats on and she's as quiet as can be! =\

But for other people out there that runs without cats... I've heard someone use 104+ and it got quieter. Then after the next fill up it became loud again.

I don't know... Cuz... I still got cats after all... Is a very law abiding never over the speed limit car that I have.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't care if you have cats or not...I'm not the EPA. Do you see cats in my sig? Don't care if you speed or go the speed limit either. Adding 1.04 points of octane is not going to make any difference whatsoever in the sound your car makes. I run 93, 91, and 89 in mine and I don't have 3 different exhaust tones.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Running different octane defiantly doesn't make a difference. I personally have never and will never run anything other than premium or 93 but it still doesn't make a difference
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Don't know what to tell you. The first time I put the 104+ in it really got quieter for some reason.

I'm thinking that being that the 104+ adds maybe up to 3 octane it perhaps changed the spark timing on the car and affected valve staying open longer because the fuel is richer. Or maybe the fuel tables don't have figures to account for 95/96 octane so it maybe for safety reasons dump extra fuel just incase. Not really sure why but it makes it quieter for me. I'm no tuner and don't claim to be.

And I know you got 93/89/87 tunes but have you tried the 104+? Try it out before you call bullshyt.

I'm actually curious if it will or will not make any difference for you.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

1 point of advertised octane increase in those = .10 increase in octane. 10 points is enough to make 93 octane 94 octane. I have a 91 octane tune in my car. I run 93 and 89. I've used the 104+ back like 15 years ago when I didn't know better when the LS1 cars came out and I was trying to get my new '98 T/A any advantage I could on the street.

I know enough about octane, my last 1000+ hp nitrous BBC in my boat was 13.5:1 and I bought race fuel by the drum. I ran 108 octane on motor, 116 in the nitrous fuel tank. That was just in my last one, I've had to several vehicles that ran race fuel only, some mixed 50/50, some straight pump gas.

The more octane you run, the less power you'll make. It's harder to burn, thus resisting detonation. 87 octane burns faster than 116. But a motor designed on 116 will rattle itself to death on 87 because the fuel is pre-igniting way too far before TDC and trying to force the piston down too soon because of the increase in cylinder pressure/heat from the extra compression.

I know my car doesn't like straight 89 octane when it's hot outside, 91 or 93 have to be used because I can tell the hot air during the day makes the engine almost have an intermittent stumble/miss while parked at idle. Not during the morning when there is cool air though. During the winter it couldn't tell the difference. Other vehicles haven't been quite as sensitive with tunes and octane in my case. If I had an aggressive tune, I'd be more strict with the octane, mine is conservative so I have some room to fudge.

I'm also a journeyman heavy mobile mechanic for the Army, so turning wrenches and reading everything I could and keeping things I've picked up over the years of hot-rodding and racing quads & boats & anything with wheels halfway comes second nature.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

O_- gotcha
Old 09-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I'm no tuner and don't claim to be.

And I know you got 93/89/87 tunes but have you tried the 104+? Try it out before you call bullshyt.

I'm actually curious if it will or will not make any difference for you.
I call bull ****. First octane booster will not raise your octane 3 points. Second it certainly won't quiet your exhaust. That's just a dumb statement. And in general it's just a waste of money.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post

Da fuq?
Lol he be drinking that boost.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT