Why do the GT500 Muffs, Sound so Good - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Why do the GT500 Muffs, Sound so Good

Yea I know everyone is saying , do a search first, But I did
and other then hearing how great they Sound ( and they do)

I havent found any info on WHY they sound so good ?
Ive read bits and pieces on other forums that the Stock GT Muffs are just stuffed with fiberglass , as where the GT 500 are Actually layered intentionally to create the signature Shelby sound that they have.

Just put a set on my car Today
and it needs NOTHING else, Sounds amazing and still able to talk in the car with the windows down and hear my phone ring. NO drone and has such an earthy muscular car tone. Dont need to remove the resonators or change the H Pipe. Its the Perfect Balance of grunt and driver friendly sounds

Anyone have a cutaway photo of these things ?
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Not for me. GT500s sound great to me but are to mellow without a O/R mid pipe.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I think the GT500's are great for guys who want the quiet stock ride at low RPM's and cruising speed's, and when they get on it, they can actually hear the exhaust. Definitely a good set of mufflers for anything really; I think they are the best sounding if you go O/R X-Pipe and Long Tubes. Everything else gets raspy.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure why they do, I'm just glad they do. Perfect for my wants/needs. Quiet enough to not disturb the neighbors at 5am, loud enough when I get on the throttle to keep me happy, and just loud enough driving down the road to know that there's still a v8 under the hood.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post

True
But the warranty Gods have a slight problem with the word " Off Road " anything , before the cats. Ill have to wait 75000 miles before I can go that route
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Meh,I didn't care about the warranty. I modded at 40 miles and never looked back.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
nvh actually matters to me b/c I actually want people to like to go in my car. I don't carry passengers often but, the ones I do have opinions and feelings that are important to me. The mild output when putting around is perfect and anyone who wants a little more volume, I can just turn up the rev counter a little and provide it.

Tha GT500 muffler is a chambered design, that's why it is both mellow yet very soulful in its song. It is actaully pretty hard to make a DOHC v8 sound good. You can make 'em scream but giving them that toneful low rpm muscle car sound isn't easy at all.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Which is why I love mine but am craving an O/R H. I want it for the exterior sound obviously, however I also want the interior to have a deeper/meaner sound and I'm hoping that will do it. And it should help cover the NVH my barton 2-post has blessed me with.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I bought a pair of OEM 2013 GT500 mufflers off of Craigs List this week for $60 from a muffler shop! Have a lethal Off Road X pipe to go on the GT with these. Our setup will be stock mani/off road x/ cat back magnaflow pipes(deletes resonators) to OEM GT500 axle back. From what I have listened too, it should have a pretty good sound with this setup. Just need to pick up a rear diffuser now.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I <3 the sound. Usually don't even have the radio going just to hear the exhaust
Agony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT