Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Shifting up to 2nd

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Alkhalil 
#1 ·
I have never had the 2nd to 3rd shift problem that many people talk about; however, about 50% of the time I have to fight to shift from 1st to 2nd. This is my first manual car but I have nearly a year under my belt now, and I'd describe it as being notchy. It just hits an invisible wall when you try to go into second and then you have to pull the shifter really hard to get it to go. I've had this issue with the stock bracket and also the barton 2-post. The other 50% of the time it's smooth as butter. Does anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

#5 · (Edited)
This is why I decided on the auto. That china made MT is crap. I had one in my v6 had the same problem notchy shifting. If its get cold in your area. Good luck shifting then. It gets a lot worse in the cold until the tranny warms up. The shift bracket helps but it still shift like crap in the cold. It's a shame you are forced to up grade and spend hundreds of dollars because Ford decided to go with cheap labor and quality.

#6 ·
KARgt13,

I would take the car into your dealer and have the issue looked at and at least recorded in their records. So, if they don't find a problem and send you on your way, but the issue occurs worse in the future, they'll be more likely to work with you on a solution.

I also don't think they'll give you any trouble about the Barton bracket. If anything, the Barton bracket should help resolve shifting problems by stabilizing the shifting linkage.

Talk to your dealer and let us know what they say! Hopefully the lock-out repeats itself when the technician is diagnosing it.

Shane

#8 ·
Thanks, Shane. That's inevitably what I'm going to have to do.

Also ask your dealer if there are any TSB (technical service bulletin) on your tranny and car in general. Ford sends these out like recalls. The two differences between them is. Recalls are safety related and Ford send you a letter informing you. A TSB Ford informs the dealers about the problem, but it is up to you to check in with your dealer to see if there is an open TSB. When I had my 2011 V6 there was a TSB for the transmission fluid. They changed it and it helped the shifting but did not correct it 100%. The bracket almost made it perfect but those darn cold days really stunk.

In your case I would take it to the dealers as well tell them the problem. They will check if there is a TSB. (they are fixed free of charge) hopefully it gets resolved for you. You should not have to spend extra money in aftermarket parts to make your tranny shift like it suppose to. Good Luck!
They finally changed the fluid for 13s so I don't have an issue in the cold, but this 2nd gear thing is year round.

#7 ·
Also ask your dealer if there are any TSB (technical service bulletin) on your tranny and car in general. Ford sends these out like recalls. The two differences between them is. Recalls are safety related and Ford send you a letter informing you. A TSB Ford informs the dealers about the problem, but it is up to you to check in with your dealer to see if there is an open TSB. When I had my 2011 V6 there was a TSB for the transmission fluid. They changed it and it helped the shifting but did not correct it 100%. The bracket almost made it perfect but those darn cold days really stunk.

In your case I would take it to the dealers as well tell them the problem. They will check if there is a TSB. (they are fixed free of charge) hopefully it gets resolved for you. You should not have to spend extra money in aftermarket parts to make your tranny shift like it suppose to. Good Luck!

#16 ·
Get you a tuner and change the transmission fluid with some good oil. I prefer royal purple since its hard to find redline oils I'm my area. I still get locked out of some off my gears but no where near as much.

#17 ·
Ok so I think that has been my prob with my shifting cause I had no prob shifting into 2nd over 3000 but under I heard rattling when pushing clutch in and shifter was a little notchy. I did use 1 to 3 shift which was pretty smooth but worried that rpm were too low and that would ware out clutch.
So, how do you use the skip shift then? 1st to 4th at 10 mph.... That's ok for clutch?

#23 ·
Beside the weird noises from mt82 and ocasional clunk shifts mine tranny runs great and shift amazing at 6500 to 7000 rpm... The mt82 isnt all that bad... I added just a barton original bracket no 2 post and its great. Still have stock fluid.. Cars a 2012 and was orderd in 2011 march... Has 40km

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.