Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Emissions legal

1K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  tc x 4 
#1 ·
Considering trading my mustang in and I was just wondering what all I would need to do to get emissions legal again? Install cats I k ow but would I need a retune or could I just go to the exhaust shop and have "any" cat welded in? I sold mine after I installed my cat delete pipes, didn't think I would ever trade at the time

#6 ·
This is why I've stored OEM mufflers, CAI, etc., vice selling/trading them. It's also a reason why I'd be skeptical about buying a used Mustang, unless it was safety/emissions inspected prior to making the deal. Too many modders out there that illegally alter emissions systems with o/r exhaust, tunes, etc..

#16 ·
Nope, it is the sellers responsibility to either smog it or make sure it will pass smog. If you sell a car without cats to someone "as is" they can still come back and either force you to buy the car back or put cats back in it, if you don't then you will be hit with a huge fine.

#18 ·
I went to the dealer yesterday before I had a chance to buy some cats just to see what they would do and the damn dodge dealer tried to say it would cost 3k to put cats back in my and get it emission legal..... Needless to say this pissed me off, I can't stand when somebody try's to screw me over, so after 5-10 min of arguing I just left. On to the next deal or just finish paying this car off

#26 ·
In Indiana, "as is " means as is. Sure if you get a lawyer involved, the seller could end up on the hook for the cats, since lawyers write loopholes into every law. When I traded cars, the dealer told me he couldn't sell the car without cats. I told him yes he could if sold as is. He said I was right, but inorder for them to warranty the car, it had to comply with emissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.