5w50 to 10w40 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

I didn't say I wasn't running a tune. BUT I sure am not going to run a brand of oil that is not recommended by the manufacturer of my car.
Bro you realize that a tune is highly not recommended by ford. Tunes have been some of the main reasons that engines are screwing up.

Read the link I posted Brotha.

Beilive me I do my research
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Ford recommends their brand, or an equivalent that meets Ford specs. Many others do.
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
Ford recommends their brand, or an equivalent that meets Ford specs. Many others do.
Tell me what other car company recommends a oil that they own and produce?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
None, to include Ford.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ok, so it's settled then Amsoil 10w-40 is the way to go. Next order of business, which oil filter is tops?
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
Dude, it's simple, it's THEIR oil! Lol of course they will run what they manufacture. Just like the piece of crap oil filter they make. To each his own but that's like my barber saying, listen I got the best shaving cream, I recommend it. Ps, I make it at home lol

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Thank you bro.
Some people had me second guessing myself, the oil has arrived.
I just can see how going to a top notch synthetic could be bad, just cause I went from 5w50 to 10w40.

I heard so rumors that the diff weight could effect the cams. U ever heard of that?
No the different weight oil has no affect on the cams. Remember Track Pack cars spec 5w-50 and none Track pack cars spec 5w-20. same exact motor in each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
I didn't say I wasn't running a tune. BUT I sure am not going to run a brand of oil that is not recommended by the manufacturer of my car.
Ford recommends Motorcraft because that's what they make money on. Doh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
Ok, so it's settled then Amsoil 10w-40 is the way to go. Next order of business, which oil filter is tops?
Amsoil filter EAO17 is the best.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tell me what other car company recommends a oil that they own and produce?
Toyota, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Harley. Many manufactures have their own brand of motor oils made by some outside oil company/blender. Like most of the parts making up the products they sell are out sourced and sold under their brand name.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Toyota, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Harley. Many manufactures have their own brand of motor oils made by some outside oil company/blender. Like most of the parts making up the products they sell are out sourced and sold under their brand name.
Really?! Wow so they are bamboozling everyone! Messed up man. What kind a world to we live in?!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. So I been looking around for oil/filer. Where is the best place to pick up some 10w40 Amsoil and what is the best filter for my 14' track pack?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok. So I been looking around for oil/filer. Where is the best place to pick up some 10w40 Amsoil and what is the best filter for my 14' track pack?
Buy Amsoil right off their site. Sign up to be a preferred customer and you'll save money. The best filter is the Amsoil EAO17.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You think Ford is bad, don't forget Honda, BMW, Yamaha, they even brand stuff 'Yama-lube'. Lol. Must be used on all their street bikes, jetskis, lawn equipment, etc.

When I had my BMW M3, they only recommended use of their BMW brand car wash, leather conditioner, etc.

Listen to this. I took the woman's X5 in for service one day, for 'Inspektion II' and they went as far as draining the coolant that I put in it when I changed the alternator (which had coolant running through one side of it, water cooled alternator) because it was the wrong stuff. I bought $35 worth of antifreeze that said it exceeded BMW standards and was of similar color and texture of the BMW branded stuff. But because it wasn't the BMW branded stuff, they drained it and refilled it with BMW coolant, lol, charged me $60 for it, and told me not to let that happen again.

Car wasn't even under warranty......
Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Buy Amsoil right off their site. Sign up to be a preferred customer and you'll save money. The best filter is the Amsoil EAO17.
Thanks. I will look there. Anyone else see any better deals on the stuff post it for everyone to partake in the deal.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

You think Ford is bad, don't forget Honda, BMW, Yamaha, they even brand stuff 'Yama-lube'. Lol. Must be used on all their street bikes, jetskis, lawn equipment, etc.

When I had my BMW M3, they only recommended use of their BMW brand car wash, leather conditioner, etc.

Listen to this. I took the woman's X5 in for service one day, for 'Inspektion II' and they went as far as draining the coolant that I put in it when I changed the alternator (which had coolant running through one side of it, water cooled alternator) because it was the wrong stuff. I bought $35 worth of antifreeze that said it exceeded BMW standards and was of similar color and texture of the BMW branded stuff. But because it wasn't the BMW branded stuff, they drained it and refilled it with BMW coolant, lol, charged me $60 for it, and told me not to let that happen again.

Car wasn't even under warranty......
I would've told them to put my coolant back in, I'm not paying for that sh1t lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

You think Ford Service is bad, just wait until you over play for some German luxury car that's not even made in Germany anymore, that falls apart in 90,000 miles or less and costs 3x more than Ford Service and 5x more for parts thatmust be imported ( even though the fng car is us built

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Built in the US
Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
I know auto manufacturers can make mistakes on building and engineering, but I don't think you can do wrong by running the recommended oil from ford. Surely ford has done enough testing on their oil to make sure it is "sufficient". That being said sufficient does not mean great, it will just do the job. I would think it would be fine to run any brand of oil you want unless ford specified an oil not to use.
It's my understanding that the selection of oil choices by MFG' has more to do with gas mileage then performance or protection
Old 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Damn good reasearch

Quote:

This is one hell of an article. Just makes me realize how uneducated I am on oil and how much more I have to learn. Also, just leads me to not trust peoples opinons unless that have tech sheets of background like this guy does.
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmunkey26 View Post

This is one hell of an article. Just makes me realize how uneducated I am on oil and how much more I have to learn. Also, just leads me to not trust peoples opinons unless that have tech sheets of background like this guy does.
Brotha u and me both! I've learned so much in last 2 months. I've done like 40 hours of reading.

The conclusion, only amzoil and royal purple are good. The rest are garbage, motor craft is the biggest garbage. My mechanic completely agrees and I just made that switch to 10w40 royal purple hps. I can not tell you the diff it made. I feel bad that I put that motor crap in it for so long. I hope my ride can forgive me lol
Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Brotha u and me both! I've learned so much in last 2 months. I've done like 40 hours of reading.

The conclusion, only amzoil and royal purple are good. The rest are garbage, motor craft is the biggest garbage. My mechanic completely agrees and I just made that switch to 10w40 royal purple hps. I can not tell you the diff it made. I feel bad that I put that motor crap in it for so long. I hope my ride can forgive me lol
Definitely. About 1k from next oil change at 21k. Gonna drop Amsoil 10W-40 in it. A little late to the game but I gotta start somewhere.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Definitely. About 1k from next oil change at 21k. Gonna drop Amsoil 10W-40 in it. A little late to the game but I gotta start somewhere.
You have chosen wisely!
You will NOT be disappointed

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Quote:

Boom

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ont%2Famo.aspx
Old 10-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
So a question remains unanswered. Will one have warranty issues if they switch from 5w50 to 10w40?
Thunder69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder69 View Post
So a question remains unanswered. Will one have warranty issues if they switch from 5w50 to 10w40?
If worst comes to worst. I'll just do an oil change back Ford approved oil before I take it in for any issue that involves the engine
Old 10-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here's the answer I got. There is very little difference from 5w50 to 10w40. Ford would have to prove that u didn't use mc 5w50 which is not that easy. You could have gotten a batch that was a but abnormal.

For them to state that u used the wrong oil is like a cop giving you a ticket cause he "thinks" you were speeding.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Appreciate the insight. It seems any claim would be very subjective. I plan to ask my service department which currently provides the free oil changes and lifetime engine warranty.
Thunder69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Ok, I've got a ?... I get switching to amsoil for better quality oil, I'm gna do that next oil change. But why switch from 5/20 to 10/40 if that's what ford recommend???
Ian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post
Ok, I've got a ?... I get switching to amsoil for better quality oil, I'm gna do that next oil change. But why switch from 5/20 to 10/40 if that's what ford recommend???
For the best explanation, read through the article I talked about a couple posts up
Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, sorry, I posted that b4 reading it. I've now read the article and on 3rd page of discussion posts. Looks like ? Now is 10/40 or 10/30. Sounds like leaning toward the 30 the further I get. Mine is a stock GT I just got with 5k on the odometer. I'm thinking every 6k would b good oil change interval so planning on doing that very soon. Since mine has no forced induction would u suggest the 30 or 40??? That's heck of an article, thnx for posting it here!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, sorry, I posted that b4 reading it. I've now read the article and on 3rd page of discussion posts. Looks like ? Now is 10/40 or 10/30. Sounds like leaning toward the 30 the further I get. Mine is a stock GT I just got with 5k on the odometer. I'm thinking every 6k would b good oil change interval so planning on doing that very soon. Since mine has no forced induction would u suggest the 30 or 40??? That's heck of an article, thnx for posting it here!
That seems to be more up to the user. IMHO If you're just daily driving, no track and not in any extreme cold, I'd say the 30 is fine. But I'm definitely not an expert. I'm going to run the 40 since I plan on tracking it/opening it up a little on some open roads.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I am definitely a fan of, um, "spirited" driving.... Lol. Guess I'll stick with the 40
Old 10-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh I am definitely a fan of, um, "spirited" driving.... Lol. Guess I'll stick with the 40
For you I'd run the 10w-30.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok, I don't do much track stuff but I do run hard when opportunity presents itself. Also, I live in Nashville, TN if weather makes a big difference. Why wld recommend the 30 instead of 40?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No no, we r talking about track pack cars. So we have to use 5w50 according to ford, that's why I went to 10w40. You should go to 5w30. 20 is a but thin.
Either way u go 20 or 30 putting in amsoil or royal purple will safe gaurd ur engine.

I would ask others opinions on 20-30

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Quote:

No no, we r talking about track pack cars. So we have to use 5w50 according to ford, that's why I went to 10w40. You should go to 5w30. 20 is a but thin.
Either way u go 20 or 30 putting in amsoil or royal purple will safe gaurd ur engine.

I would ask others opinions on 20-30
I meant ask grabber blue, but u already did lol!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Ian13, you do NOT have the Trackpac that calls for 5w50, right? Your GT driven 'normal' like they should be, sure would be fine with a premium 5w20 or 5w30. I cannot trust the Mtrcraft oils to give my GT the best protection. There are so many oils that are much better in these weights especially the 5w50 M/C. Personally the purple oils are an advertizing gimmick. It's good oil for sure, but over priced and the color is worthless. I will stick with the cold flow rates of a 5w at startup, it is better than 10w. Pennzoil Ultra and their Platinum for the money are hard to beat. and they are less money than the Bouquet oils. Sure everyone has their own opinion on 'oil', there is a whole lot of info to read, some of it good. Read enough to feel educated and go with it... With the big 8 quart sump in the coyote a top oil can easily last till the Oil Life Monitor says it time to change..
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

No, I don't have the track pack, just standard GT. Went to amsoil website and they do have 5w20 in signature series. So why all the talk about switching to 10/30 or 10/40? If they have the manufacture preferred weight in the superior amsoil why not use that? The more I try to read on this the more confusing it gets. They also have the 5/50 for track pack so why change? Just use the better brand oil....?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

My thoughts too. Especially while in warranty. One less thing to worry over...if one worries about those kinds of things..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT