Mod help for 2014 Mustang GT - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What helps me out is that I have a wife and two kids, house, bought another vehicle last year and I just like to spread my money around and not dump large chunks in one place. Go me?
Ridlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

gtstyles2 I like u. U can laugh at stupid stuff and not get into it personally. That's cool. (No homo I jus drank for 7 hrs.

Man I'm fighting the urge but I'm losing out. The new cobra jet IM is very attractive but that sucker don't make power till like 7700 rpm. I'm not spinning my shiit to 7700rpm for only +30idh max Hp gain

I'll stick e with boss 302 an gain maybe 15 max hp but 7300rpm gain of 60hp+ but I think I'll set rev limit to only 7000-7200rpm just for longevity sake.

Dude let me know when u get the boss IM. I wanna know how u like it first hand
If you only spin it to 7-7200 with the boss. Then it will not do anything. It will be a visual mod that is it. Needs to be spun to 7500+. Mine is spun to 8000.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #38

Region: California
Don't worry about being a newbie, we all were at some point. In my case, I still am. When people tell you modding your car is like a drug, they're right. You can easily spend thousands. First, things first...read, read, watch, and read some more. If you want to know what you're buying read as much of this Forum as much as possible. Also, go on AmericanMuscle.com, they have a lot of good info there. That is whey I buy all my stuff. End then there is YouTube, there are a lot of videos that teach you good stuff. American Muscle and CJ Pony all have sites on YouTube.

Another thing, know the laws of your state. If you live in California, there are a lot of products you cannot put in your vehicle. But if you live in Texas, you can have anything you want.

Most people start off with CAI (Cold Air Intake) and exhaust. CAI's are easy to install, even for people with no experience with a socket and ratchet. And so are Throttle Body's, so that's a good place to start. Exhaust is a no brainer because that is what gets everybodys attention and gets the girls panties wet. Who doesn't like rumble of a pony car?
MrGeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

^Was that towards me?
Just because I haven't done mods to my car doesn't make me a car newbie.
More than capable of doing any and all mods mostly myself. Just don't have the disposable income like some people do.
I mod my loan note every month, I pay it down!
Ridlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

If you only spin it to 7-7200 with the boss. Then it will not do anything. It will be a visual mod that is it. Needs to be spun to 7500+. Mine is spun to 8000.
7000-7200 I still see significant enough bandwidth hp gain to make this more than a visual mod only. 7500+ for built motors such as a boss is fine but without forged internals I'm really not comfortable with 7500 let alone 8000.

I'm 36 now and my wild days are over for the most part so butt dyno feel is sufficient. So I figure IF 7300-7500 sees 60hp gain I'm ok with 7000-7200 gain of just 45-50. Either way I'm set up at 72-7300 rev limit now and what sucks is my butt dyno can feel my car start to lose acceleration thrust by 6500. So heck I'm basically like the faster I go the slower I go kinda thing.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Dallas I believe you're new to the site since I haven't really seen many posts of yours but welcome and thanks for posting good and elaborate responses, always nice to have more people like that who want to truly help and know their stuff.
Hey midnightnlue thanks! I'm pretty new. Maybe 2 weeks old? To the site that is.

I try to be as elaborate as possible with posts not so I can be annoying but its my pet peeve when reading about stuff either online or in magazines and its just not enough info.

Kinda like the Barton shifter I just installed two days ago. At first I thought I hated it. Harder resistance to get into gears and reverse is sticky. The downward travel when you press on it feels shorter and is a lot more difficult than stock with higher resistance and it was really hard to push left into reverse. But after two days of driving either the part got broken in or I just got use to it so now I absolutely love it. Doesn't bother me quite as much.

You would probably not read reviews that tell you step by step "feelings" or stuff like that. It's not that important but still good to know before you decide to plop down $359.99 for a part.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridlion View Post
^Was that towards me?
Just because I haven't done mods to my car doesn't make me a car newbie.
More than capable of doing any and all mods mostly myself. Just don't have the disposable income like some people do.
I mod my loan note every month, I pay it down!
@_@ ugggggg

I call all notes and bills... The Dream Killers.

I hate "modding" my monthly bills.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #42

Region: Canada
Damn! A lot of awesome info and advice in this thread so far, thanks to everyone who's commented.
I think I'm going to go with the exhaust first and I've kinda narrowed it down to two different axle back systems:
Borla Stinger S-Type
Borla Stinger S-Type Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust 11837 (13-14 GT) - Free Shipping 11837

and the Roush Axle back exhaust
Mustang Exhaust with Round Tips (2011-2014)

The Borla is a bit more expensive but they both sound great from what I've seen on YouTube. Anyone have any input on these two exhausts? Also, I'm gonna have to start looking for a set of winter wheels (I live in Canada), from what I've read the Blizzak winter tires seem pretty well regarded, anyone have some input on those?
Brendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

7000-7200 I still see significant enough bandwidth hp gain to make this more than a visual mod only. 7500+ for built motors such as a boss is fine but without forged internals I'm really not comfortable with 7500 let alone 8000.

I'm 36 now and my wild days are over for the most part so butt dyno feel is sufficient. So I figure IF 7300-7500 sees 60hp gain I'm ok with 7000-7200 gain of just 45-50. Either way I'm set up at 72-7300 rev limit now and what sucks is my butt dyno can feel my car start to lose acceleration thrust by 6500. So heck I'm basically like the faster I go the slower I go kinda thing.
All honesty u will not see gains with the poss if ubonlybspin it to 7k.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

* boss if you only
Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo View Post
Damn! A lot of awesome info and advice in this thread so far, thanks to everyone who's commented. I think I'm going to go with the exhaust first and I've kinda narrowed it down to two different axle back systems: Borla Stinger S-Type Borla Stinger S-Type Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust 11837 (13-14 GT) - Free Shipping 11837 and the Roush Axle back exhaust Mustang Exhaust with Round Tips (2011-2014) The Borla is a bit more expensive but they both sound great from what I've seen on YouTube. Anyone have any input on these two exhausts? Also, I'm gonna have to start looking for a set of winter wheels (I live in Canada), from what I've read the Blizzak winter tires seem pretty well regarded, anyone have some input on those?
Get the s types and if you go to jegs.com you can get them for like 650. The ones there are for the 11, 12s and the only thing about them is they are the tips are extended out about an 1 to 1 1/2 inches. I personally liked the way it looks like that.
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

All honesty u will not see gains with the poss if ubonlybspin it to 7k.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

* boss if you only
There are plenty of sample dyno graphs of the Boss 302 IM on different setups. Some are stockers with simple CAI and exhaust some with full exhaust. Either way all of them show similar results.

If you look at the graph it shows a typical loss of HP and torque 5500rpm after which there's a slight increase.

Then at 6500rpm the stock IM starts to decrease in both HP and torque.

At 7200rpm the stock IM shows 388.34HP while the Boss IM show 434.50HP. That's an increase of 46.16HP effective HP. Granted if you do pull past 7500 and into 8000 there's probably much more HP over stock at 8000 (maybe 80hp I don't know) but peak HP seems to max out around 434 or so no matter what you spin your motor. This peak HP seems to be realized beginning at 6500rpm.

I'm using my iPhone ATM so looking up multiple graphs and saving the via google images sucks. PITA but I'm confused how is there no power gains at all unless I spin the motor to at least 7500? I agree that I probably won't realize maximum potential without revving past 7500rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3214320137.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	129811  
Old 09-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
skip the bracket and go directly to a MGW shifter do it right the first time(been there, did that)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
After wasting thousands modding my 05, I've managed to leave this car alone, other than the shifter. I installed the MGW shifter, it's the best mod you can do to any car period. The car did come with Roush ABs, had it not, I would have bought them. A sweet sounding exhaust should be the first mod IMO.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

+1000000
What they said
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There are plenty of sample dyno graphs of the Boss 302 IM on different setups. Some are stockers with simple CAI and exhaust some with full exhaust. Either way all of them show similar results.

If you look at the graph it shows a typical loss of HP and torque 5500rpm after which there's a slight increase.

Then at 6500rpm the stock IM starts to decrease in both HP and torque.

At 7200rpm the stock IM shows 388.34HP while the Boss IM show 434.50HP. That's an increase of 46.16HP effective HP. Granted if you do pull past 7500 and into 8000 there's probably much more HP over stock at 8000 (maybe 80hp I don't know) but peak HP seems to max out around 434 or so no matter what you spin your motor. This peak HP seems to be realized beginning at 6500rpm.

I'm using my iPhone ATM so looking up multiple graphs and saving the via google images sucks. PITA but I'm confused how is there no power gains at all unless I spin the motor to at least 7500? I agree that I probably won't realize maximum potential without revving past 7500rpm.
I understand what that dyno graph is showing. Go put one on your car then you will see first hand. I have the boss intake/ and a built motor that spins to 8000. You will not gain 46hp like it shows with just a intake mani swap I promise
Old 09-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I understand what that dyno graph is showing. Go put one on your car then you will see first hand. I have the boss intake/ and a built motor that spins to 8000. You will not gain 46hp like it shows with just a intake mani swap I promise
I'm still confused. You say there's no power gain at all unless I spin to 7500-8000rpm.

So what you're saying is that with the boss Im will net zero gain from 6500-7500 compared to a stock IM then from 7499th rev and the 7500th rpm it will the jump by 60whp or so? So before 7500 (ie 7499 and before) it gains zero HP.

So starting at 6500rpm the Boss IM equipped stang will continue to decrease in power until 7500rpm whereby it will increase past the previous peak by jumping within a spam of one rpm 60whp+? So there's absolutely no power gain whatsoever from 6500-7500rpm?

Dude this would be the absolutely most useless mod for both drag and track then. Cuz the power wouldn't be smooth. In a corner u don't want a dip in power the jump back to max peak all of a sudden. Imbalance of power delivery like that would throw you off you corner entry and exit.

Regardless of whether you realize 46hp or 30hp or even 20hp, I don't agree at all that power is only realized past 7500rpm.

I just want to clarify this because I don't want people to get this mod and think that absolutely no power is increased anywhere at all in the bandwidth unless the rev past 7500 or 8000.

Then they go out and try to max out their motor by pushing 7500/8000 rpm and rag out their motor.

I completely agree with you if your stance is the boss im makes the most power potential after 7500 but if your staying with your absolute stand that no power is realized over stock im below 7500... That just means if you're tom right that this is a useless mod without a built motor.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm still confused. You say there's no power gain at all unless I spin to 7500-8000rpm.

So what you're saying is that with the boss Im will net zero gain from 6500-7500 compared to a stock IM then from 7499th rev and the 7500th rpm it will the jump by 60whp or so? So before 7500 (ie 7499 and before) it gains zero HP.

So starting at 6500rpm the Boss IM equipped stang will continue to decrease in power until 7500rpm whereby it will increase past the previous peak by jumping within a spam of one rpm 60whp+? So there's absolutely no power gain whatsoever from 6500-7500rpm?

Dude this would be the absolutely most useless mod for both drag and track then. Cuz the power wouldn't be smooth. In a corner u don't want a dip in power the jump back to max peak all of a sudden. Imbalance of power delivery like that would throw you off you corner entry and exit.

Regardless of whether you realize 46hp or 30hp or even 20hp, I don't agree at all that power is only realized past 7500rpm.

I just want to clarify this because I don't want people to get this mod and think that absolutely no power is increased anywhere at all in the bandwidth unless the rev past 7500 or 8000.

Then they go out and try to max out their motor by pushing 7500/8000 rpm and rag out their motor.

I completely agree with you if your stance is the boss im makes the most power potential after 7500 but if your staying with your absolute stand that no power is realized over stock im below 7500... That just means if you're tom right that this is a useless mod without a built motor.
Yes there will be a power gain. Bit not 40 + like they advertise. Look at the actual boss. Puts down around 400 to tires bone stock. With a 7,500 rev limmiter. Cnc heads/ diff cams. Then a stock coyote puts down about 375.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I just believe it needs to be at least 7500. To me 7000-7200 would not be worth it to me. Back when my car was bone stock it made. 377 to tires. Then with jlt/offroad x/tune made 400. Then with the boss mani at 7500 rpm redline made 410.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just believe it needs to be at least 7500. To me 7000-7200 would not be worth it to me. Back when my car was bone stock it made. 377 to tires. Then with jlt/offroad x/tune made 400. Then with the boss mani at 7500 rpm redline made 410.
All to many people look at PEAK HP. The curve is what matters. The smoother/higher your curve is what matters. You can have a 1000 HP car but if the graph looks like this /\ then it doesn't matter. It shoots up and drops. But a 500hp car that stays in the power band will be better. Just a thought. That may not make sense cuz I just woke up be you get the idea.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

All to many people look at PEAK HP. The curve is what matters. The smoother/higher your curve is what matters. You can have a 1000 HP car but if the graph looks like this /\ then it doesn't matter. It shoots up and drops. But a 500hp car that stays in the power band will be better. Just a thought. That may not make sense cuz I just woke up be you get the idea.
I know all about peak hp. Im no newbie whrn it comes to this. Bama and all the so called tunners. Sell people on peak hp
Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

I look back and don't know why I quoted your post lol. I was just saying in general not pointing at you but a lot of ppl just look at hey my car has xxx HP and it'll beat your car BC it only has xxx HP. For example put a '12 Shelby next to a '12 Boss on the strip or a road course. The strip will be almost dead even, in the road course the boss will win.

It's all about what the goals of your car are. Straight lines don't excite me but curves at 100 mph wooooo hooooo lmao
Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I look back and don't know why I quoted your post lol. I was just saying in general not pointing at you but a lot of ppl just look at hey my car has xxx HP and it'll beat your car BC it only has xxx HP. For example put a '12 Shelby next to a '12 Boss on the strip or a road course. The strip will be almost dead even, in the road course the boss will win.

It's all about what the goals of your car are. Straight lines don't excite me but curves at 100 mph wooooo hooooo lmao
Thats exactly right. #'s dont mean all that. Not many people can believe that. There is to many people that get caught up in dyno queens.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thats exactly right. #'s dont mean all that. Not many people can believe that. There is to many people that get caught up in dyno queens.
When I had my 3.7 my boss claimed his new Toyota Tundra 380ish HP would beat the brakes off of my 3.7. I laughed in his face. I bet him my paycheck on it and he was like I wouldn't feel right taking your money. I laughed in his face and said I'll do it for pride then come on let's go, he still refused. Bahaha, I still give him hell about that but now when can't tell BC I got the Boss
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When I had my 3.7 my boss claimed his new Toyota Tundra 380ish HP would beat the brakes off of my 3.7. I laughed in his face. I bet him my paycheck on it and he was like I wouldn't feel right taking your money. I laughed in his face and said I'll do it for pride then come on let's go, he still refused. Bahaha, I still give him hell about that but now when can't tell BC I got the Boss
You would have beat him.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You would have beat him.
Lmao yea I would've smoked him. I had CAI, o/r H-Pipe, Pypes, and a 93 race tune. He was probably governed to 100 mph on top of that
Old 09-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know all about peak hp. Im no newbie whrn it comes to this. Bama and all the so called tunners. Sell people on peak hp
BAMA did say its bandwidth gains BUT did flash +60hp gain in big letters so yeah somewhat potentially misleading.

So +10 on your point
Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep I agree absolutely with you. The only reason I'm holding strong to my stand here on the Boss IM is that its curve gain I'm interested in. Peak gains can be 1, 2, or none but if it "regains" upper rpm power loss from O2 starved stock GT manifold then that's power gain.

That's what I'm referring to when is say gain 40-45hp. I think raptinator is misunderstanding me when I say +45hp he thinks I meant peak. Sorry I wasn't clear. But it's max curve gain I'm interested in with the IM
Old 09-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I was about to pull the trigger on the Boss IM soon, the way this thread is going is making me think otherwise
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Its a good investment. Just realize it needs to be spun to at least 7,500. Like I said look a stock coyote. 370rwhp. Look at a boss 400rwhp reved to 7500. Boss also has somewhat better heads/cams.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I have the boss. Mine is set at 8000. But I am built.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130922_114753.png
Views:	142
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	129848
Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I was about to pull the trigger on the Boss IM soon, the way this thread is going is making me think otherwise
It's absolutely a good mod. It might give you 8-12hp gains at peak but what it does best is allows freer flow past 6500rpm.

If you look at all the dyno graphs max peak gains is very nominal BUT you won't start losing power past 6500rpm.

I'm sure you've felt it. When you gun your car it pulls like a hero then right after 6500 its less a hero and more like mortal.

So identical bolt ons, the Boss IM car will pull strong to well past 6500 all the way to 8000 if you got built internals. Stock IM the higher you rev the farther away from your peak power you get.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

The boss is one of the beat mods you can so besides a tune. Some say you loose low end tq. Its not enough to even notice a loss.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I'm realistic as far as knowing I'm not gonna get a lot of gains on a dyno... As I'm getting used to my car, I am hit the rev limiter more and I'm seeing where it dies down... Main thing I'm nervous about is how much I'm losing down low, I had 3.31s and now I have 3.73s

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Quote:
The boss is one of the beat mods you can so besides a tune. Some say you loose low end tq. Its not enough to even notice a loss.
Good to know!!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Raptinator and I finally agree on this subject matter. Lol... I love talking shop. Always fun and informative no matter what.

Best of all no name callings or butt hurt feelings from any disagreements so far. =)
Old 09-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Raptinator and I finally agree on this subject matter. Lol... I love talking shop. Always fun and informative no matter what. Best of all no name callings or butt hurt feelings from any disagreements so far. =)
Yea this thread is very informative, and I also don't take things to heart as I'm learning and am always happy to pass on the little bit I know :-p
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Raptinator and I finally agree on this subject matter. Lol... I love talking shop. Always fun and informative no matter what.

Best of all no name callings or butt hurt feelings from any disagreements so far. =)
Lol thats good. Yes there is no hurt feelings at all.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Lol thats good. Yes there is no hurt feelings at all.
BRENDO would like to THANK YOU for jacking his thread.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote:

2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Well tell them he is welcome. There is always 1 person that wants to start something.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

*tell him that he

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2014 mustang