Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Mod help for 2014 Mustang GT

8K views 86 replies 21 participants last post by  jayman33 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I recently bought a 2014 Mustang GT (manual w/ Premium package) and I was looking for some help in regards to mods. I am ashamed to admit I did not grow up in a car enthusiast family and have just recently got into cars and automotive stuff so I am pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.
I love my Mustang even stock as it is (upgraded from a 2002 Taurus, hehe) but I am starting to get more interested in what I can mod on it. I haven't been to the drag/autocross/track or anything like that and I basically use it for cruising around town/commuting so for now I am mainly interested in cosmetic and sound upgrades. The only change I've made is tinting the windows. I would love to upgrade the exhaust and have been looking into my different options there but I was hoping to get some advice on what else I can change and it doesn't necessarily have to be cosmetic or whatever, I am in no way against performance gains. Any advice I could get from you guys would be appreciated!

#2 ·
I guess you should figure out first and foremost what you want out of your car. Is it going to be potentially tracked? If so, roadway or drag?

If its just a street car then other factors play into it such as are the roads good? Bumpy with potholes?

Are you a speed demon that wants the fastest you can get your car to be? Future NOS, FI (that's turbo or supercharging if you're wondering what FI means - forced induction)

Or do you just want to feel some rush from flooring it but you want more of a cool show car.

You gotta plan out what you want from your car cuz I've experienced firsthand before if you don't plan things out you'll do things to your car that's just a waste of money... Especially when you change setup again and again when you realize it's not what you want or can tolerate.

Either way, modding your car is very much like a drug. You can get addicted and find yourself easily spending thousands if not tens of thousands on building your ride.

#3 ·
:bow:

#4 ·
But as a starter list of mods that's not extreme:

Lowering Your Car and Subsequent Suspension Mods:
- Eibach Pro Kit for a less aggressive drop 1-1.5" drop.
- Eibach Sportline has a more aggressive drop up to 2".
- Eibach camber bolts (Camber plates if you plan on running your car hard)

(Optional if you're not tracking or drag racing your car)
- Lower control arms (LCA)
- LCA relocation brackets
- Upper control arm (UCA)
- UCA mount
- Shocks and struts
- Upgrades sway bars

Engine Upgrades:
- CAI - no real performance bump but still a bread and butter add on.
- JPL oil separators
- Canned tunes from tuners like BAMA and American Muscle
- Boss 302 intake manifold
(More extreme)
- Super/Turbo Charge systems

Exhaust System:
- Axle back for a less aggressive sound
- Catcack exhaust for a deeper louder sound
- cat delete pipes (aka straight pipes or test pipes)
- headers

Beginner Package: I suggest
1.) Pro Kit
2.) catback exhaust
3.) Canned tune

All else is Step 2 and forward

#5 ·
But as a starter list of mods that's not extreme:

Lowering Your Car and Subsequent Suspension Mods:
- Eibach Pro Kit for a less aggressive drop 1-1.5" drop.
- Eibach Sportline has a more aggressive drop up to 2".
- Eibach camber bolts (Camber plates if you plan on running your car hard)

(Optional if you're not tracking or drag racing your car)
- Lower control arms (LCA)
- LCA relocation brackets
- Upper control arm (UCA)
- UCA mount
- Shocks and struts
- Upgrades sway bars

Engine Upgrades:
- CAI - no real performance bump but still a bread and butter add on.
- JPL oil separators
- Canned tunes from tuners like BAMA and American Muscle
- Boss 302 intake manifold
(More extreme)
- Super/Turbo Charge systems

Exhaust System:
- Axle back for a less aggressive sound
- Catcack exhaust for a deeper louder sound
- cat delete pipes (aka straight pipes or test pipes)
- headers

Beginner Package: I suggest
1.) Pro Kit
2.) catback exhaust
3.) Canned tune

All else is Step 2 and forward
Thanks a lot for the list man! I have no plans right now for any track or autocross - I mainly use it to commute to work and cruise around.

#6 · (Edited)
the exhaust upgrade is great for bystanders, the CAI will upgrade sound for you....I will mention instead of being ashamed for not coming from an automotive background you should be proud to be learning. Google your state and Mustang Club for starters. Enjoy it's one heck of an upgrade from the Taurus but, respect the car. You didn't say how much driving experience you have and the V8 is a beast!

also I like stripes but am too cheap.....

#7 ·
Your best bet is to drive it for awhile and get a good feel on how it rides and handles. Do some research and do it slowly. For example, you might want to put on a stiffer handling package and also lower it at the same time. Then mess with the whole exhaust system. Then a tune and CAI.

#10 ·
+1 on this.

Most people myself included tend to go for power first then suspension.

Since, I'm assuming this is probably the most powerful car you've ever had, it might be best to go ahead and play with your stocker for at least a few thousand miles. Trust me there's more than enough power to get into trouble. When you power through a turn watch out for the rear swinging out. Doesn't take much at all.

You can never have too much traction. That is unless your trying to run 335 size tires on your stocker which... bad idea. Too heavy even with 366whp.

If you got about $1200-1300 to spend I'd go ahead and get the Eibach Pro Kit Package. This includes sway bars, springs, and shocks and struts. It's a very good beginner set. More advanced would be adjustable pieces to let you dial in what spec you want. Parts are about $850-900 (www.americanmuscle.com) and labor for install is anywhere $300-500.

By doing this you, you will have much better grip and balance. Then you can learn to drive your wild pony until you get use to the power and can control it. Then start adding power.

#8 ·
I would mention possible regearing before FI mods. The GT comes with pretty tall gears. Brendo, these will give you better acceleration capability.

#11 ·
Axle backs... gtstyles!!! XD

Up to you Brendo. It's ok technically to do that. We have a very endearing term we like to use on people who do certain things to their cars and you should understand it at the very beginning.

Term: RICER
Comes from usually the American crowd on car enthusiast brethren of the Asian persuasion. Picture big wings, loud exhaust, car slammed down very low resulting in them turning their car's front bumper into a functional snow plower. All this while sporting a spritely 149HP (+4 from exhaust, +2 from CAI, and +50HP from their dragon wing sized spoiler)

But ricer can also be termed on American muscle cars that do the same.

If you're gonna do an exhaust at least go full cat back. There not a whole lot of power here but you'll have a fuller note when your car starts to sing.

Imagine its a steak. Do you go for the cowgirl petite cut of 8oz (axle back only)? The 16oz Cowboy (catback)? Real men (without cholesterol or high blood pressure) go the distance.

Of course, there's also that 22oz and the 28oz tomahawk bone-in ribeye... But that's not the right steak for everyone lol.

#26 ·
Barton Shifter. I hear its the same as the FRPP (buys it from Barton or so i keep readjng) which costs $70-$100 more for the same.

If you get the two post bracket with it that shifter is as laser precise as you can get. But bracket makes it a very mechanical feel. Not quite as comfortable as a stocker. I'm curious if I'll like it better if I put the stock bracket back on. Might try that and report that.

FYI there's another thread being discussed about the Barton Shifter.

#30 ·
After wasting thousands modding my 05, I've managed to leave this car alone, other than the shifter. I installed the MGW shifter, it's the best mod you can do to any car period. The car did come with Roush ABs, had it not, I would have bought them. A sweet sounding exhaust should be the first mod IMO.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

+1000000

#41 ·
Hey midnightnlue thanks! I'm pretty new. Maybe 2 weeks old? To the site that is.

I try to be as elaborate as possible with posts not so I can be annoying but its my pet peeve when reading about stuff either online or in magazines and its just not enough info.

Kinda like the Barton shifter I just installed two days ago. At first I thought I hated it. Harder resistance to get into gears and reverse is sticky. The downward travel when you press on it feels shorter and is a lot more difficult than stock with higher resistance and it was really hard to push left into reverse. But after two days of driving either the part got broken in or I just got use to it so now I absolutely love it. Doesn't bother me quite as much.

You would probably not read reviews that tell you step by step "feelings" or stuff like that. It's not that important but still good to know before you decide to plop down $359.99 for a part.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

^Was that towards me?
Just because I haven't done mods to my car doesn't make me a car newbie.
More than capable of doing any and all mods mostly myself. Just don't have the disposable income like some people do.
I mod my loan note every month, I pay it down!
@_@ ugggggg

I call all notes and bills... The Dream Killers.

I hate "modding" my monthly bills.

#38 ·
Don't worry about being a newbie, we all were at some point. In my case, I still am. When people tell you modding your car is like a drug, they're right. You can easily spend thousands. First, things first...read, read, watch, and read some more. If you want to know what you're buying read as much of this Forum as much as possible. Also, go on AmericanMuscle.com, they have a lot of good info there. That is whey I buy all my stuff. End then there is YouTube, there are a lot of videos that teach you good stuff. American Muscle and CJ Pony all have sites on YouTube.

Another thing, know the laws of your state. If you live in California, there are a lot of products you cannot put in your vehicle. But if you live in Texas, you can have anything you want.

Most people start off with CAI (Cold Air Intake) and exhaust. CAI's are easy to install, even for people with no experience with a socket and ratchet. And so are Throttle Body's, so that's a good place to start. Exhaust is a no brainer because that is what gets everybodys attention and gets the girls panties wet. Who doesn't like rumble of a pony car?

#42 ·
Damn! A lot of awesome info and advice in this thread so far, thanks to everyone who's commented. :)
I think I'm going to go with the exhaust first and I've kinda narrowed it down to two different axle back systems:
Borla Stinger S-Type
Borla Stinger S-Type Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust 11837 (13-14 GT) - Free Shipping 11837

and the Roush Axle back exhaust
Mustang Exhaust with Round Tips (2011-2014)

The Borla is a bit more expensive but they both sound great from what I've seen on YouTube. Anyone have any input on these two exhausts? Also, I'm gonna have to start looking for a set of winter wheels (I live in Canada), from what I've read the Blizzak winter tires seem pretty well regarded, anyone have some input on those?

#44 ·
Damn! A lot of awesome info and advice in this thread so far, thanks to everyone who's commented. :) I think I'm going to go with the exhaust first and I've kinda narrowed it down to two different axle back systems: Borla Stinger S-Type Borla Stinger S-Type Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust 11837 (13-14 GT) - Free Shipping 11837 and the Roush Axle back exhaust Mustang Exhaust with Round Tips (2011-2014) The Borla is a bit more expensive but they both sound great from what I've seen on YouTube. Anyone have any input on these two exhausts? Also, I'm gonna have to start looking for a set of winter wheels (I live in Canada), from what I've read the Blizzak winter tires seem pretty well regarded, anyone have some input on those?
Get the s types and if you go to jegs.com you can get them for like 650. The ones there are for the 11, 12s and the only thing about them is they are the tips are extended out about an 1 to 1 1/2 inches. I personally liked the way it looks like that.

#51 ·
All to many people look at PEAK HP. The curve is what matters. The smoother/higher your curve is what matters. You can have a 1000 HP car but if the graph looks like this /\ then it doesn't matter. It shoots up and drops. But a 500hp car that stays in the power band will be better. Just a thought. That may not make sense cuz I just woke up be you get the idea.

#53 ·
I look back and don't know why I quoted your post lol. I was just saying in general not pointing at you but a lot of ppl just look at hey my car has xxx HP and it'll beat your car BC it only has xxx HP. For example put a '12 Shelby next to a '12 Boss on the strip or a road course. The strip will be almost dead even, in the road course the boss will win.

It's all about what the goals of your car are. Straight lines don't excite me :p but curves at 100 mph wooooo hooooo lmao

#63 ·
It's absolutely a good mod. It might give you 8-12hp gains at peak but what it does best is allows freer flow past 6500rpm.

If you look at all the dyno graphs max peak gains is very nominal BUT you won't start losing power past 6500rpm.

I'm sure you've felt it. When you gun your car it pulls like a hero then right after 6500 its less a hero and more like mortal.

So identical bolt ons, the Boss IM car will pull strong to well past 6500 all the way to 8000 if you got built internals. Stock IM the higher you rev the farther away from your peak power you get.

#65 ·
Yea I'm realistic as far as knowing I'm not gonna get a lot of gains on a dyno... As I'm getting used to my car, I am hit the rev limiter more and I'm seeing where it dies down... Main thing I'm nervous about is how much I'm losing down low, I had 3.31s and now I have 3.73s

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Good to know!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.