GT 5.0 2014 and synthetic oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeanmorissette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ottawa
Region: Canada
Posts: 28
GT 5.0 2014 and synthetic oil

I know questions about synthetic oil have been posted many times over but I just got a new 2014 GT GT Brembo Brake Racing package (3.73 axle) and I want to switch over to synthetic oil.

I'm up north in Canada and will be storing this baby for the winter and I want to do the switch before storing in about 1 month.

Any synthetic oil better than others. I want to know before going to the dealer and have them selling me whatever!

Thank you in advance!
John
jeanmorissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
irishn8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Washington
Posts: 721
Its already synthetic. Until your warranty is up ur stuck with fords approved oils. I dont mean stuck in a bad way, im sure their mad scientists knows what they are doing.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeanmorissette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ottawa
Region: Canada
Posts: 28
Thanks. I'm up to about 3000 miles and I was thinking its about time to change it as I would like to drive it a bit wit hthe new oil before storing it in about 3-4 weeks.
jeanmorissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
You can easily run 8000+ ks on an oil change here. There is 8 quarts of oil in the pan. Ford oil is fine, especially on a non-modified car. It's what's in mine and no engine ticks, funny noises and I'm in and out of the quick lane in no time. I've done thousands of oil changes myself but, the mess of 8 quarts of oil makes me lazy.

If you're going to change it, change it when you are going to store it, don't "drive a bit on the new oil" and put it away.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
GE3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 721
Where abouts in canada you from
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeanmorissette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ottawa
Region: Canada
Posts: 28
I'm in the Ottawa region about 30 mins east. Driving between Ottawa and Vermont in the US for the next 3-4 weeks til I store the car.

John
jeanmorissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
BTW, nobody is "stuck with ford oils until their warranty is up". As long as you can demonstrate the oil was changed at proper intervals your warranty is all good.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmorissette View Post
I know questions about synthetic oil have been posted many times over but I just got a new 2014 GT GT Brembo Brake Racing package (3.73 axle) and I want to switch over to synthetic oil.

I'm up north in Canada and will be storing this baby for the winter and I want to do the switch before storing in about 1 month.

Any synthetic oil better than others. I want to know before going to the dealer and have them selling me whatever!

Thank you in advance!
John
The oil you car came with is some of the worst stuff you can put it. Massive Mounts of sheering from MC. Go to royal purple hps. Or if u have aversion to royal purple amzoil is very good as well.

What weight oil do u have now?
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeanmorissette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ottawa
Region: Canada
Posts: 28
I will ask the dealer. Never got to change it but its whatever Ford sends the car out with!
jeanmorissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Evil2014GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
Im using Royal Purple here. 5w-20. Never had any issues/noises what so ever.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missouri Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmorissette View Post
I know questions about synthetic oil have been posted many times over but I just got a new 2014 GT GT Brembo Brake Racing package (3.73 axle) and I want to switch over to synthetic oil.

I'm up north in Canada and will be storing this baby for the winter and I want to do the switch before storing in about 1 month.

Any synthetic oil better than others. I want to know before going to the dealer and have them selling me whatever!

Thank you in advance!
John
I currently have the '14 GT Track Pack. Mine is coming up on the 3,000 mark as well, at which time I'll have it serviced. I usually drive somewhere in the vacinity of 5,000 miles per year, so I have my vehicles serviced more often that the recommended intervals. I can afford it, so that's what I prefer. I've consistently used Motorcraft oil (in its recommended weights) for many years and have experienced no engine problems or lubrication related irregularities at all. My cars are (not often) raced and never tracked, so oil shearing is not something I worry about at all. Change brands and/or weights if you wish (it's your car) but, I recommend you at least change to an oil that meets the same API Specification as the oil your car came with. If a problem later arises, Ford should have no beef about the oil you are using. There's also no worries about driving your car after you have it serviced and prior to storage. I know of no reason why you shouldn't. Happy Motoring!
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmorissette View Post
I will ask the dealer. Never got to change it but its whatever Ford sends the car out with!
Dealers done know d#*k. Read on line or go to my last thread, 5w50 to 10w40. There's a nice link to a very extensive conversation occupied by actual tests. Most of the time you know much more then dealers.
When I went to order my Stang I had to teach them all about the car, and I went to a reputable dealer.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Im using Royal Purple here. 5w-20. Never had any issues/noises what so ever.
Ofcourse not, it's royal purple lol
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
I currently have the '14 GT Track Pack. Mine is coming up on the 3,000 mark as well, at which time I'll have it serviced. I usually drive somewhere in the vacinity of 5,000 miles per year, so I have my vehicles serviced more often that the recommended intervals. I can afford it, so that's what I prefer. I've consistently used Motorcraft oil (in its recommended weights) for many years and have experienced no engine problems or lubrication related irregularities at all. My cars are (not often) raced and never tracked, so oil shearing is not something I worry about at all. Change brands and/or weights if you wish (it's your car) but, I recommend you at least change to an oil that meets the same API Specification as the oil your car came with. If a problem later arises, Ford should have no beef about the oil you are using. There's also no worries about driving your car after you have it serviced and prior to storage. I know of no reason why you shouldn't. Happy Motoring!
I'm not saying that the car won't run fine on the mc oil. I'm just saying if you look at the extensive tests its the worst for you engine. I can barely afford an oil change but it's worth it to me to put the better product in. Also sticking to the weight is a funny subject as well. So most of our cars say 5w20. But actually run better on 5w30. They say 5w20 because it has something to do with emissions. Don't remember the details, but it's done to meet certain standards not to aid the car. That being said 10w40 is equal to 5w50. Apparently works very well according to all I read.

Again I will just say read read read read! The more you read the better equipped you will be to make the best choice for you, no one is wrong as its a very subjective matter. To each his own and that's what makes it their own
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missouri Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
I'm not saying that the car won't run fine on the mc oil. I'm just saying if you look at the extensive tests its the worst for you engine. I can barely afford an oil change but it's worth it to me to put the better product in. Also sticking to the weight is a funny subject as well. So most of our cars say 5w20. But actually run better on 5w30. They say 5w20 because it has something to do with emissions. Don't remember the details, but it's done to meet certain standards not to aid the car. That being said 10w40 is equal to 5w50. Apparently works very well according to all I read.

Again I will just say read read read read! The more you read the better equipped you will be to make the best choice for you, no one is wrong as its a very subjective matter. To each his own and that's what makes it their own
As you say, we are all free to do as we wish. Oil brand/weight choice is a freedom we all cherish. I prefer to run the recommended Motorcraft oil (5W-50) because that's the brand that has served me well over the years and has given me no indication that it is harmful. Frankly, I prefer Lucas Oil addittives, but I don't dare attempt adding any while my pony is under warranty. I may, at some point, change Motorcraft weights, due to cold weather, but that is something I haven't experienced yet in using 5W-50 for the first time. I've found myself interested in various fluid brand/weight changes, since I've been here and on other forums where the convos have been quite lengthy. I'm retired and have plenty of time to scroll through the posts. There are a lot of smart cookies out there. But it seems the more I read and the more I consider various opinions and choices, that oftentimes disagree with each other, it gets very confusing and I've found that unless I intend to frequently race or track my car, there's no earthly reason for me to be overly concerned with shearing, early internals wear and so on. In my experiences, Ford engines are trouble-free, if treated with respect and adult-like use. For the everyday driver and Mustang owner, there's no reason to pay for oil analyses and be nitpicky about high/low levels of this and that, and searching for brands that are better or worse to correct those analysis flags. These 5.0s will do their jobs by providing us the HP we expect and the enjoyment we deserve, without instilling fear in us that the recommended oil is bad for their health. I fear not. Motorcraft has always worked for me, it's a brand I can always find on store shelves and at Quicklane where I get my vehicles serviced. But as I said, I may decide on a different winter weight. I'll have to see how she starts and acts when the temp drops. Any recommendation on winter (0 degrees a and above) weight for a Track Pack? She's my daily driver.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post

As you say, we are all free to do as we wish. Oil brand/weight choice is a freedom we all cherish. I prefer to run the recommended Motorcraft oil (5W-50) because that's the brand that has served me well over the years and has given me no indication that it is harmful. Frankly, I prefer Lucas Oil addittives, but I don't dare attempt adding any while my pony is under warranty. I may, at some point, change Motorcraft weights, due to cold weather, but that is something I haven't experienced yet in using 5W-50 for the first time. I've found myself interested in various fluid brand/weight changes, since I've been here and on other forums where the convos have been quite lengthy. I'm retired and have plenty of time to scroll through the posts. There are a lot of smart cookies out there. But it seems the more I read and the more I consider various opinions and choices, that oftentimes disagree with each other, it gets very confusing and I've found that unless I intend to frequently race or track my car, there's no earthly reason for me to be overly concerned with shearing, early internals wear and so on. In my experiences, Ford engines are trouble-free, if treated with respect and adult-like use. For the everyday driver and Mustang owner, there's no reason to pay for oil analyses and be nitpicky about high/low levels of this and that, and searching for brands that are better or worse to correct those analysis flags. These 5.0s will do their jobs by providing us the HP we expect and the enjoyment we deserve, without instilling fear in us that the recommended oil is bad for their health. I fear not. Motorcraft has always worked for me, it's a brand I can always find on store shelves and at Quicklane where I get my vehicles serviced. But as I said, I may decide on a different winter weight. I'll have to see how she starts and acts when the temp drops. Any recommendation on winter (0 degrees a and above) weight for a Track Pack? She's my daily driver.
I wouldn't change weight , I've been through one winter already, never had a problem.

I see your point. It's really about the experience you have. I've used royal purple in my 05 Stang and in my daily driver, I felt the difference the instance I put it in. Engine felt smoother.

I 100% agree with u on the adult use comment.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missouri Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
I wouldn't change weight , I've been through one winter already, never had a problem.

I see your point. It's really about the experience you have. I've used royal purple in my 05 Stang and in my daily driver, I felt the difference the instance I put it in. Engine felt smoother.

I 100% agree with u on the adult use comment.
Thanks. I was hoping I could run the same weight year round. As I've said before, I don't drive many miles (5000 or less) annually, so keeping the same weight would work better for me.

I've been pretty hard on my Mustangs at times. No sense in owning one if I don't strap it every once in a while. They've always took what I dished out. In 5 years of ownership, my '07 GT was only in the shop twice. Once for the dreaded upper shock mount TSB and an intermittent master cylinder brake switch replacement, that according to Ford, had no failure history. Although the GT only had 26k on the clock when I traded it for a new truck, those miles were much less than easy. She got strapped often and went through a set of Sumitomo HTRZ 40s.

Well, the "adult-like" reference may have been a little strong but, no factory production car is made to be jerked and stomped and slammed around foolishly without the potential of failure facing the owner at some point. Mustangs are fairly tolerant, but not completely bullet-proof.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winter Haven
Region: Florida
Posts: 407
I would switch over to amsoil 0-30 signature series because it gets cold up there,big thread on the svt forum and that is what was recommended,me,I'm in hot fl. I use rp hps 10-40 because that oil does not shear like mc korean garbage.
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefron50 View Post
I would switch over to amsoil 0-30 signature series because it gets cold up there,big thread on the svt forum and that is what was recommended,me,I'm in hot fl. I use rp hps 10-40 because that oil does not shear like mc korean garbage.
Actually on SVT what we recommend is Amsoil 10w-30 not 0w-30.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
ddtmoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 158
Out of the motor oils talked about in these posts only the Amsoil high end oil is a true synthetic motor oil. Even the purple one is a highly refined made from regular crude motor oil. In the USA they can call these double hydro cracked crude oils synthetic. And yes there are much better oils than Motorcraft oils, almost any one. Ford, or for that matter any car manufacture, only needs their cars to last until the warranty is up. So the oem fluids can be just good enough. They want us to buy new cars. They don't want them to last forever. So the use of the better fluids will prob allow the vehicles to last us longer. I get attached to my vehicles and tend to keep them for a long time...peace of mind?
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
irishn8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Washington
Posts: 721
Check this out

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2708548
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:17 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.