Car cover and storage q's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Car cover and storage q's

I am storing my 2014 GT 5.0 this winter for 6 months. It will be in a sheltered/heated warehouse.

I am planning to:
top gas tank up
oil change
cover it with a cover that I will buy (or not) from musclecar.com depending

Anything else or anything against the above?

TIA,

John
jeanmorissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Get an older stang to dd until winter is over
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I know I will miss it! but I will be up to 8k-10k kms before I store it so I will be doing some driving til then might alleviate the pain!
jeanmorissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Buy a battery tender.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The cover from American Muscle is great

Click on this:
Covercraft Deluxe Custom - Fit Mustang Car Cover C17124-TT-FD-27 (10-14 GT, V6; 10-12 GT500) - Free Shipping C17124-TT-FD-27

This cover is form fitting and covers the mirrors as well as the antenna. It breaths so the car won't rust under it. American muscle sells it to forum members with a discount.
Also Get some Stabil for the gas tank, Cover the Exhaust pipe tips so stuff can't crawl into them. Fill the tires. I personally would get a battery tender but if you dont you can take the battery out or just undo the negative cable. Throw some "Moth Balls" under the car NOT INSIDE OF THE CAR BUT UNDER IT

Do NOT and I really mean DO NOT start the car up once a week or month and let it idle. It is the absolute worse thing you can do. It is better off just sitting there.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmorissette View Post
I am storing my 2014 GT 5.0 this winter for 6 months. It will be in a sheltered/heated warehouse.

I am planning to:
top gas tank up
oil change
cover it with a cover that I will buy (or not) from musclecar.com depending

Anything else or anything against the above?

TIA,

John
A friend of mine stores a classic during the winter months. Including all you have listed, he puts her on jack stands to get the rubber off the floor and spreads a couple layers of rolled paper out under the car. (Our local newspaper print shop sells paper roll-ends by the pound.) Concrete, unless it's fully surface sealed, will give off moisture that's known to rust a car's undercarriage. Paper will (for the most part) absorb the moisture and help protect her from rust. He also removes the battery and stores it at home (off the floor), because his storage unit has no electricity available. He gives the battery a trickle-charge once in awhiile to keep it healthy. He usually drops that battery back in and starts his car up bi-monthly for 10 to 15 minutes or so. He pumps the brakes, drops her in gear and rotates the tires, etc.. He says it wakes her up and keeps her active.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Starting the car and not driving it until it get to temperture

IS JUST PLAIN "BAD" It is better to just let it sit and not start it.

A battery tender is still good for the battery even if the battery is removed from the car. A battery will sulfate if not fully charged.

OP is in a heated warehouse so paper under the car will probably not be necessary.

Filling the tires and letting the car sit on the ground will not harm them. They will smooth out after he drives the car after storage. If he buys the cover on AM it will cover the tires.

The most important thing is the "STABIL" and pluging the exhaust pipes.

Ronnie
Old 09-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I'd recommend a trickle charger for the battery
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No way a trickle charger

When storing the battery you would want a Battery tender or something like it that will shut down when the battery is fully charged. As the battery discharges from sitting the tender type will allow enough slow charge to maintain the charge.

A trickle charger will burn out a battery if left on for a very long time. Something like that could even lead to a fire.

Motorcycle owners as well as boat owners along with the street rod owners have been using "BATTERY TENDERS" for many,many years with no problems.

Ronnie
Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
[QUOTE=ronnie948;1803278]Click on this:
Covercraft Deluxe Custom - Fit Mustang Car Cover C17124-TT-FD-27 (10-14 GT, V6; 10-12 GT500) - Free Shipping C17124-TT-FD-27

American muscle sells it to forum members with a discount.

Wish I had known that before I bought mine last month......
Ridlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
When storing the battery you would want a Battery tender or something like it that will shut down when the battery is fully charged. As the battery discharges from sitting the tender type will allow enough slow charge to maintain the charge. A trickle charger will burn out a battery if left on for a very long time. Something like that could even lead to a fire. Motorcycle owners as well as boat owners along with the street rod owners have been using "BATTERY TENDERS" for many,many years with no problems. Ronnie
Didn't know they were called different things, good info thanks!
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
a few things I do in my unattached garage in CT this is for approx 3 months:

Most important is Stable (as mentioned) be sure to use the funnel (in trunk) when filling or you can spill it. Add stable 1st then gas (to a tank that is getting low) to make sure it gets in both sides of the straddle style tank. If you don't always use premium do it for this tank, and make sure to run it a bit to get it throughout the system.

I add 5psi extra air in the tires and park on folded up cardboard. Flat spotting is unlikely with modern tires but this is simple/cheap. Make sure to check in spring.

Block the exhaust and cowl air intake with painters tape (critters) I also suggest some type of mouse repellant. I use one that is a combo of spearmint and peppermint oil on cottonballs...it works for me and smells nice it needs to be renewed monthly.

The OLM will count when in storage, If mine will be due for an oil change I do it before storage, on my 5-6K year toy I do it every 9 months...more often than needed but if I do it every 9 instead of the reccomended 12 months (time based) it works out to be 1 extra change every three years. This makes me sleep better w/o spending too much $

I don't have a tender but 1x a month I hook up a charger for a few hours..DO NOT OVERCHARGE! this is an advantage to the tender but a charger can be used to bring a dead battery back more often than a tender will.

I also pull the fuel pump relay (id in owners manual/ mark it and leave a note) when I start it in the spring. I think this will give the oil time to get primed when you start it by letting the engine crank for the 10 second auto-start cycle 2x. I dont know if this helps but it doesn't hurt fwiw I do this after oil changes too.

+1 on NOT starting it...opinions may vary but I choose not to this is an opinion thing read the differant ideas and pick the one you believe in the most.

wash/wax/cover

think how nice it will be when you take it back out in spring.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
As Mud said, definitely use decon for the mice. Those little bastards can total a car quick. I feed it year round. I wrecked a car years ago, let it sit for 9mo. When I got around to fixing it, it wasn't worth fixing.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT