Problems after installing spark plugs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Problems after installing spark plugs

So I just replaced my stock spark it's with e3 spark plugs today. Simple process. Only issue I had was a little spark when one of the wrenches hit a part of the battery terminal but that should do no harm. Well after putting everything back in its place. I start the car and the service advancetrac . The stability control and advancetrac is off and turning the steering wheel sucks
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Maybe just maybe the shorting did do some harm...?
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I even checked the fuse that controls the electronic stability on the passenger side and it's in tact...any ideas of what it could be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Did you check the the steering feel setting in the main options? You can change it to comfort and sport
Hbjatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The advancetrac button isn't even working for me to switch it

Just put the old plugs back in (which I doubted was the problem but I wanted to give it a shot) of course that didn't work.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's weird! Did you disconnect the battery for 10 mins and retry? I would just take it in have the dealership diagnose.
Any cell light showing?

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Service Advancetrac

Read this, hopefully it helps
Old 09-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50 View Post
So I just replaced my stock spark it's with e3 spark plugs today. Simple process. Only issue I had was a little spark when one of the wrenches hit a part of the battery terminal but that should do no harm. Well after putting everything back in its place. I start the car and the service advancetrac . The stability control and advancetrac is off and turning the steering wheel sucks
If when you say "turning the steering wheel sucks", means it's Very Difficult to turn; I'd check for a fuse for the Electric Power Steering. If it's just a suttle change, then it would be in the menu from the Steering Wheel. Sorry, I don't have my Manual right here to offer specifics.
dlstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Did that twice and I found that thread earlier today. I think it's just a terribly bad day. I washed my car, it rained twice, ichange my plugs, steering goes out, I go to check that, one of the HiD lights go out. I'm through with today. Guess it's to the dealership I go. And my warranty expired last month.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Damn man that sucks.. I hope you find the problem. Keep researching, it never hurts to keep trying.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did that twice and I found that thread earlier today. I think it's just a terribly bad day. I washed my car, it rained twice, ichange my plugs, steering goes out, I go to check that, one of the HiD lights go out. I'm through with today. Guess it's to the dealership I go. And my warranty expired last month.
Good Luck when you take it in, maybe you'll be having a better day and your Dealer's Service Dept will have some pity on you about the warranty. Just Don't Hold Your Breath. Maybe your Salesman could Help you about that--never hurts to try.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Sounds like you blew the main fuse that comes off the battery. That part will have to be replaced. You're supposed to disconnect the battery when changing plugs.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Sounds like you blew the main fuse that comes off the battery. That part will have to be replaced. You're supposed to disconnect the battery when changing plugs.
^+1 This.
Last time I check e3 didn't make plugs specific for the 11-14 GT's yet.
.DWC_SmOziLLa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Oreilys gave me some E3's that worked fine when I put them in. They tightened fine and I didn't have any engine running issues when I installed them . The old plugs are in them now and the car is at the dealership. I know a guy at the GMC dealership next door owned by the same guy and I hope helps me out with the warranty out for only a month. I definitely didn't know u should disconnect the battery when changing plugs.....note taken.. U guys think it was the plugs?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

I think it was the spark and as mentioned a fuse...it's already at the shop now, but next time (if you didn't) check all fuses.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
WOW I've never heard that before, and I've changed a lot of Spark Plugs in my day. I know these new engines are Hi-Tech, so are you supposed to Disconnect the Battery for just about anything you do under the hood? I know that was also in the Instructions when I put an AirAid Throttle Body Spacer on my 5.0, and I thought that was odd. Is it an Engine Computer thing, or what?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlstang View Post

WOW I've never heard that before, and I've changed a lot of Spark Plugs in my day. I know these new engines are Hi-Tech, so are you supposed to Disconnect the Battery for just about anything you do under the hood? I know that was also in the Instructions when I put an AirAid Throttle Body Spacer on my 5.0, and I thought that was odd. Is it an Engine Computer thing, or what?
Anything you do electronically I would assume. Don't wanna cross + with - by a slip of a wrench like you did. Engine work wise also cuz you don't want to slip your wrench and cross it either. So... I guess that's every time Just to be safe
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Anything you do electronically I would assume. Don't wanna cross + with - by a slip of a wrench like you did. Engine work wise also cuz you don't want to slip your wrench and cross it either. So... I guess that's every time Just to be safe
Actually, this wasn't my Post, I was just commenting.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just praying it isn't something outrageously stupid. If it's just a fuse I'm perfectly fine with that, although I did check all the fuses under the hood and a few that were on the passenger kick plate. I'm dreading it's something more serious than that though.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oreilys gave me some E3's that worked fine when I put them in. They tightened fine and I didn't have any engine running issues when I installed them . The old plugs are in them now and the car is at the dealership. I know a guy at the GMC dealership next door owned by the same guy and I hope helps me out with the warranty out for only a month. I definitely didn't know u should disconnect the battery when changing plugs.....note taken.. U guys think it was the plugs?
How many miles do you have on the car where you felt the need to change plugs? It's not the plugs though. See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlstang View Post
The reason you want to disconnect the battery when changing plugs is because the positive battery cable has a main fuse that is easily shorted out when you change plugs. Something the original poster found out the hard way.
Quote:
I'm just praying it isn't something outrageously stupid. If it's just a fuse I'm perfectly fine with that, although I did check all the fuses under the hood and a few that were on the passenger kick plate. I'm dreading it's something more serious than that though.
It's not a fuse under the hood but rather a main fuse attached to the positive batter cable. That's what you shorted out causing all your problems. It's like a $50.00 part.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Blown main battery fuse and they had to replace the steering column..... You guys are pretty spot on. Now I just hope they don't canyonize my wallet.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How many miles do you have on the car where you felt the need to change plugs? It's not the plugs though. See below.

The reason you want to disconnect the battery when changing plugs is because the positive battery cable has a main fuse that is easily shorted out when you change plugs. Something the original poster found out the hard way.

It's not a fuse under the hood but rather a main fuse attached to the positive batter cable. That's what you shorted out causing all your problems. It's like a $50.00 part.
Great information to know, I don't recall seeing anything about that in the Owner's Manual. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
That's what you get for installing pos plugs...

Glad it's fixed though.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
That's what you get for installing pos plugs... Glad it's fixed though.
Great addition to the thread, especially since it didn't have anything to do with the plugs themselves!
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0 View Post

Great addition to the thread, especially since it didn't have anything to do with the plugs themselves!
Lmfao right!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Why do people talk so well about e3's then? I need to know because I definitely don't wanna put pos anything in or on my car.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

You never answered my question on how many miles on your car where you felt the need to change plugs?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

24,000 miles on her. I just changed them because I hear u should change them sooner depending on how long you've gone on them with a tune. I've been on them tuned for about.12.000 miles.. If this is too early, when should I change em ?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50
24,000 miles on her. I just changed them because I hear u should change them sooner depending on how long you've gone on them with a tune. I've been on them tuned for about.12.000 miles.. If this is too early, when should I change em ?
On a normal/light modded car 75,000 miles is about right. I think Ford recommends 100k.

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0

You're welcome.

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50
Why do people talk so well about e3's then? I need to know because I definitely don't wanna put pos anything in or on my car.
A spark plug only has one spark. Having multiple points only makes a plug more expensive. Unless you are nitrous or forced induction motorcraft/autolite will do you just fine.

As far as the hype, if they were paying me several thousand $'s a year i'd hype them too.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There was definitely no need to change them.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Next time actually inspect the plugs and see if they need changing.....many guides and photos on line.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Haha warranty in tact!!!! I would've had to pay $1200 !!!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats man...good to here!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha warranty in tact!!!! I would've had to pay $1200 !!!
You sure dodged a Bullet that time. Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks to all for the info. I will make sure to disconnect the battery for ANY engine mods.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

It's funny of all the family, friends, and others I know that have "mechanic advice" for the situation , the most useful always comes from this forum

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT