2014 Mustang GT "TICK" NEW MOTOR... QUESTIONS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #1

Region: Maryland
2014 Mustang GT "TICK" NEW MOTOR... QUESTIONS

Purchased my 2014 GT in june brand new. ran great for about 3 months. the 4 month i started hear the tick! took it to ford they said it was normal. took it back a week later and it came back as cylinder #2 had a problem. they wanted to tear apart the motor themselves, told them to not touch it until i got in contact with a ford regional manager. regional manager took full control over the situation and is replacing the whole motor for free.

its been over a month still dont have my car. ford keeps giving me a different story then the regional manager. needless to say not happy!

With all that said... i have some concerns. after reading many stories similar to mine, others are having the same issues with their new motor... what is causing all these issues with the 5.0 motors? what isnt for telling us? should ford be responsible for offering and extended warranty at no cost? if they do extend the warranty will any mods effect that warranty

Need some answers and advice
thanks
CMcManus18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcManus18 View Post
Purchased my 2014 GT in june brand new. ran great for about 3 months. the 4 month i started hear the tick! took it to ford they said it was normal. took it back a week later and it came back as cylinder #2 had a problem. they wanted to tear apart the motor themselves, told them to not touch it until i got in contact with a ford regional manager. regional manager took full control over the situation and is replacing the whole motor for free.

its been over a month still dont have my car. ford keeps giving me a different story then the regional manager. needless to say not happy!

With all that said... i have some concerns. after reading many stories similar to mine, others are having the same issues with their new motor... what is causing all these issues with the 5.0 motors? what isnt for telling us? should ford be responsible for offering and extended warranty at no cost? if they do extend the warranty will any mods effect that warranty

Need some answers and advice
thanks
If your car has been in the shop for 30 days or has incurred repairs that are detrimental to the resale value of the car your car is eligible to be replaced by use of the lemon law. Just an option for you, because I wouldn't want a brand new car on its second motor.

Now, they may or may not offer a extended warranty and any modifications to the car that replace factory parts affecting suspension geometry, computer programming/tuning of any kind, or cause abnormal wear to factory parts will void the warranty in that particular section of the vehicle. For example, if you put a custom tune on the new motor and you burn another cylinder you will foot the bill if they can prove the tune caused the engine to fail.

Ford will do their best to keep overhead low, so they will wait to replace your engine at all costs unless absolutely necessary. Even though they say you are getting a new engine you will not know until you see the notes typed in your service ticket when you get the car back.

My advise is to call the customer relationship hotline of ford motor co and push your issue on a company wide level. I've had to do the same with my 2012.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
If your car has been in the shop for 30 days or has incurred repairs that are detrimental to the resale value of the car your car is eligible to be replaced by use of the lemon law. Just an option for you, because I wouldn't want a brand new car on its second motor.

Now, they may or may not offer a extended warranty and any modifications to the car that replace factory parts affecting suspension geometry, computer programming/tuning of any kind, or cause abnormal wear to factory parts will void the warranty in that particular section of the vehicle. For example, if you put a custom tune on the new motor and you burn another cylinder you will foot the bill if they can prove the tune caused the engine to fail.

Ford will do their best to keep overhead low, so they will wait to replace your engine at all costs unless absolutely necessary. Even though they say you are getting a new engine you will not know until you see the notes typed in your service ticket when you get the car back.

My advise is to call the customer relationship hotline of ford motor co and push your issue on a company wide level. I've had to do the same with my 2012.
Man I have not seen that many Coyotes having issue when considering how many is out there. I am specically speaking of a completely stock car. #8 has had some and even those where tuned but not all. I assume the car is/was completely stock when they told you #2 had issue and hopefully since the day you had it. How many miles where on it when you bought it? A Leak down test probably showed it and that was all they knew until they tear into it. A lot of the hold-up is for one, Ford will have the dealership it's at turn over your ECM for them to check and see if car has been flashed aftermarket tune(s). Normal procedure for catastrophic failure or this big of a ticket. Then the longest hold-up is waiting on your BRAND NEW motor to come. If it has been at dealer 30+ days then you need to get up with a lot of people. I say that b/c I wouldn't make the payments!! They should and I have seen this where after extended time with new car like this they will take care of payment situation. You will have to push that. Before it's all over you may need to get a lawyer. What type car are you driving from Ford while they have it? Should be a 5.0 but my guess is it is not. Should be at least something you are happy with and of that class value.
Keep us posted. I hope this works out man.
You could/should try to push for not wanting that car back.

** My bad....Intended to quote the OP who has the problem**
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Maryland Lemon Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

Not exactly. Nothing in Maryland's Lemon Law says nothing about the resale value of the car.

Here for your reading:

Maryland Lemon Laws cover new vehicles that have less than 18,000 miles or were purchased no more than two years ago. The Lemon Law only covers cars, motorcycles and trucks. The vehicle is protected by the Lemon Law if it was purchased or leased. To qualify as a lemon, the dealership must have tried to fix the malfunction at least four times or the vehicle must not have been working for 30 days within one year. The manufacturer will be given the chance to repair the vehicle before a replacement or refund will be given.

The 30 days will be exempted because they are waiting for parts.

Read more: Maryland Lemon & Consumer Laws | eHow
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #5

i bought my car with 18miles on it... when i took it into the shop it had a little over 4000mi... it is completely stock. the "regional manager"(RM) is from fords customer service hotline. my (RM) confirmed that the shop received a new motor one week after my car arrived for service. my car has been in the shop parking lot for two weeks, parked under a pine tree collecting sap and pine needles!... without being touched due to the fact that the " MUSTANG EXPERT MECHANIC" has a wedding and doesn't have time to work on it. Ive been totally patient this whole time! ford did give me a rental (loaded 2012 escape) not terrible, better then expected, but for sure not equivalent to my 5.0. ford has confirmed that they will pay for one months payment. October 1st will be the start of a new month without having my car. i will be requesting that they pay my payments for the month of October as well. which i don't think is unreasonable a long with extending my warranty to their Premium Care package.
One of my main concerns with this "NEW MOTOR" how can i determine weather or not it is a new motor and they didnt just put a band aid on my old/original motor.
Another concern im having is should i be so patient with ford... should allow them to replace the motor or should i be demanding a brand new car? i don't want to be so demanding to the point where i piss people off and have the mechanic do piss pour work or upset the regional manager(that seems to be on my side)... how hard should push

thanks for the feedback
Old 09-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i bought my car with 18miles on it... when i took it into the shop it had a little over 4000mi... it is completely stock. the "regional manager"(RM) is from fords customer service hotline. my (RM) confirmed that the shop received a new motor one week after my car arrived for service. my car has been in the shop parking lot for two weeks, parked under a pine tree collecting sap and pine needles!... without being touched due to the fact that the " MUSTANG EXPERT MECHANIC" has a wedding and doesn't have time to work on it. Ive been totally patient this whole time! ford did give me a rental (loaded 2012 escape) not terrible, better then expected, but for sure not equivalent to my 5.0. ford has confirmed that they will pay for one months payment. October 1st will be the start of a new month without having my car. i will be requesting that they pay my payments for the month of October as well. which i don't think is unreasonable a long with extending my warranty to their Premium Care package.
One of my main concerns with this "NEW MOTOR" how can i determine weather or not it is a new motor and they didnt just put a band aid on my old/original motor.
Another concern im having is should i be so patient with ford... should allow them to replace the motor or should i be demanding a brand new car? i don't want to be so demanding to the point where i piss people off and have the mechanic do piss pour work or upset the regional manager(that seems to be on my side)... how hard should push

thanks for the feedback
Right is right and asking for things within you legal and contractual right is not pushy. If you don't ask they will not give and if they are wiling to give u in the first place u wouldn't be in the dilemma of wondering if they're gonna give or be pissed by ur asking.

I'd rather ask and push things along and have a chance than not ask and be at the mercy of them.

Just be courteous but stern. Be likable at the same time but let them know u know the law and u know what u want.

Yeah 30 days in the shop exempts non business days, shipment days, and any days that are delayed because of u (ie not providing the key to the wheel locks, not giving them a response to a question, not providing a decision, etc...). So feasibly it could be 6 months in the shop if they can prove that every other week they're waiting for a gasket or a special bolt or a piston or something that's being delayed through manufacture or shipment or waiting for your response.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Sounds like you are handling it right man. The payments as you confirmed should be taken care of. The motor story will have to be revealed, Specifically asking if the motor has been replaced with another brand new motor. The numbers will no longer match and this is something they can't **** around about when it comes to telling you and will reflect on all the paper work. All the bolt on stuff can and will be used from your orginal motor, alternator and etc. in almost all cases of motor replacement. That is normal and acceptable. However, the downside to all this is it does make resale value affected, but keeping all your paper work is a good thing for future reasons.
I agree with above guy posting about lemon law. That is not as easy as it sounds and is a long nightmare. Every state has different laws on it. He stated MD laws and like he said is true. I would do as said and try to be firm but not make enemies completely at this point. If it drags on and on you can get a attorney but if they are making payments and providing a fair replacement to drive then that's normal. You said rental? who's paying that? Ford right? If you go by this shop and talk to SM you can ask to see the motor they are putting in it. As for this Regional Manager they are not always all that. Another words he has bosses too. You can go up the ladder, over his head if that's what you feel needs to be done. If this place has mechanic issues Ford can have it done at another Dealership. They should not drag their feet man. I sell tools for a living and in and out of dealerships and independents all day and have seen some horror stories. Hopefully this doesn't get any worse than it already is.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

thanks for the feedback
I'd also politely ask that they get your car out from under the tree. They should know better than to park one like that, unless it's salvage.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lemon laws were created to protect dealerships ( lip service to consumers). If you feel your being jerked around collect 50 signatures and start a class action. Don't recommend this but sometimes it is the only way to get results for your issue. Hope you get your issue resolved soon.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #10

just updating everybody that had interest in my post... just received my car back last Wednesday (10/9)... it may just be me being paranoid but it just doesn't feel the same. dont get me wrong it runs great but there's just that doubt in my head. now I've heard different strategies on how to break the new motor in. One being take a easy with it for a few thousand miles or two being drive it like you stole it, since its still under warranty. me personally i feel like i should baby and rank on it(just a little bit )) to get the best of both worlds. just looking for some feed back on recommended break in styles.

And also i heard these motors are real sensitive with the oil weight. ford says its 5-50. but Ive read that the 5-50 is what is causing the issues with these motors...? i dont know i will continue to put 5-50 in it until ford tells me otherwise

thank you all!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
just updating everybody that had interest in my post... just received my car back last Wednesday (10/9)... it may just be me being paranoid but it just doesn't feel the same. dont get me wrong it runs great but there's just that doubt in my head. now I've heard different strategies on how to break the new motor in. One being take a easy with it for a few thousand miles or two being drive it like you stole it, since its still under warranty. me personally i feel like i should baby and rank on it(just a little bit )) to get the best of both worlds. just looking for some feed back on recommended break in styles.

And also i heard these motors are real sensitive with the oil weight. ford says its 5-50. but Ive read that the 5-50 is what is causing the issues with these motors...? i dont know i will continue to put 5-50 in it until ford tells me otherwise

thank you all!
My owners manual calls for 5-20 oil in my coyote. I own a 2014.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

thank you all!
Take the leap like me
10w40 royal purple hps

Go to my thread about this, read the link
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Same story with me except mine was a 2013 track pack, dont be surprised wen the second motor starts ticking again.. Mine did. I just surrendered my car last week and collected my check. Lemon law process took 8 months. my car was at the dealer for 4.5 months not counting 2 whiny rear ends they replaced. This is a big headache i was offered a replacement but opted to take cash back, ford never wanted to pay my payments wen all this started, my car never felt the same after all the work.

Good luck

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

BTW anyone interest in flow master outlaws and brand new hurst compition shifter pm me CHEAP!
Apod91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apod91 View Post
Same story with me except mine was a 2013 track pack, dont be surprised wen the second motor starts ticking again.. Mine did. I just surrendered my car last week and collected my check. Lemon law process took 8 months. my car was at the dealer for 4.5 months not counting 2 whiny rear ends they replaced. This is a big headache i was offered a replacement but opted to take cash back, ford never wanted to pay my payments wen all this started, my car never felt the same after all the work.

Good luck

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

BTW anyone interest in flow master outlaws and brand new hurst compition shifter pm me CHEAP!
Pm me I'm interested in the shifter.
Hbjatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
My owners manual calls for 5-20 oil in my coyote. I own a 2014.
+1 I too own a 2014. Using a different oil will void your new warranty. You can still use am soil or royal purple in the recommended weight. I noticed my GT started to feel broken in at 2500 miles but I drove it like I stole it.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
+1 I too own a 2014. Using a different oil will void your new warranty. You can still use am soil or royal purple in the recommended weight. I noticed my GT started to feel broken in at 2500 miles but I drove it like I stole it.
Here's the problem, I got a track pack so the recommended is 5w50. Which I don't need cause I don't track it,
Hence the 10w40
Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

Here's the problem, I got a track pack so the recommended is 5w50. Which I don't need cause I don't track it,
Hence the 10w40
That makes no sense, you went from a 5 weight to a 10 weight.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Thank you. I read on line that it's really not a big diff.
Thank you for the reassurance
Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
+1 I too own a 2014. Using a different oil will void your new warranty.
No it won't. That's just not true.
Quote:
Hence the 10w40
You're fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
What doesn't make any sense?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
No it won't. That's just not true.

You're fine.

What doesn't make any sense?
I'm not sure what doesn't make sense. From what I've read it makes perfect sense and is the smart thing to do.

Y use 5w50 mc which is crap when u can guard you internals with 10w40 royal purple hps? I think it makes sense and I'm very happy you agree. Gives me reassurance.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not sure what doesn't make sense. From what I've read it makes perfect sense and is the smart thing to do.

Y use 5w50 mc which is crap when u can guard you internals with 10w40 royal purple hps? I think it makes sense and I'm very happy you agree. Gives me reassurance.
I agree with you. You quoted the wrong person.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lmao! Oops sorry lol
Old 10-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey just an update
I'm getting my oil changed and I told my mechanic about the change over.
He said he wants to shake my hand because I actually know what I'm talking about lol

He said motor craft and mobile 1 are like putting s#€t Into ur car. Said I made a wise choice. Thanks for your support grabber blue!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey just an update
I'm getting my oil changed and I told my mechanic about the change over.
He said he wants to shake my hand because I actually know what I'm talking about lol

He said motor craft and mobile 1 are like putting s#€t Into ur car. Said I made a wise choice. Thanks for your support grabber blue!
No problem. Now I just need to convince you that 10w-30 is better for you than 10w-40. At least in your case.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No problem. Now I just need to convince you that 10w-30 is better for you than 10w-40. At least in your case.
Lol really? I only did the 10w40 cause of my track pack. Why is it better?
Btw my car feels like it gained 20hpw lol BIG difference in the over all feel
Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol really? I only did the 10w40 cause of my track pack. Why is it better?
Btw my car feels like it gained 20hpw lol BIG difference in the over all feel
The track pack means nothing. But it's not that big a deal. Anything is better than 5w-50.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The track pack means nothing. But it's not that big a deal. Anything is better than 5w-50.
Lmao! Yeah I know but I wanted some reassurance. Lol all it means is my car take .5 quarts more then a normal one.
Unless you actually track it , which I'm too old for lol

Yeah bro thanks again for the back up, I was doubting my decision.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2014 mustang