Boss intake heat shield - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Boss intake heat shield

Anyone have any experience with this??

http://www.blowbyracing.com/20mu50coboin.html
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Whoa... Damnit. I just ordered the Boss 302 IM. Would be the perfect time to do this shield. I'm thinking it may work. At the very least it won't hurt.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Whoa... Damnit. I just ordered the Boss 302 IM. Would be the perfect time to do this shield. I'm thinking it may work. At the very least it won't hurt.
Exactly!! I already have the Boss, waiting for this to come in... Obviously I'm not gonna believe I'll get 12 hp from this, but since the runners are plastic, I can see this as helping a bit from the beat of the block... Hoping to find someone with feedback, but I doubt it since they've only been out for 2 months!! I'd say u order it b4 u install the Boss, can't hurt!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's also only 50 bucks. Ima tell my friend about this
Old 09-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
It's also only 50 bucks. Ima tell my friend about this
Well its $7 extra for the Boss, then $15 for shipping which really sucks I couldn't get around it... Came out to $75.50 but I guess its worth that extra piece of mind
Old 09-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Wow, to me that's seem kinda expensive for an insulator. I'm sure you can find something from Home Depot that would do the trick.

Personally, I just put a 25 pound frozen bird in the space between my Boss manifold and the engine block. After a day of drifting, there's nothing like a turkey dinner you cooked with pure American muscle. :drool:
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Wow, to me that's seem kinda expensive for an insulator. I'm sure you can find something from Home Depot that would do the trick.

Personally, I just put a 25 pound frozen bird in the space between my Boss manifold and the engine block. After a day of drifting, there's nothing like a turkey dinner you cooked with pure American muscle. :drool:
Attach a fryer to your exhaust and you can have fried turkeys just in time for Turkey Day!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Just bought it from Summit Racing. Total was like $59.92 or something like that. Was $49.97 but there was a $9.95 shipping charge.

Damnit why didn't AM have this part? I miss free shipping.

This ***** better be shipped quick like AM if they're gonna charge me for shipping.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just bought it from Summit Racing. Total was like $59.92 or something like that. Was $49.97 but there was a $9.95 shipping charge. Damnit why didn't AM have this part? I miss free shipping. This ***** better be shipped quick like AM if they're gonna charge me for shipping.
Yea I wish AM would stock it had this stuff sitting here since Wednesday :-/ I'll get the heat shield Monday, but probably won't be able to tackle the Boss install until next weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3264599500.png
Views:	179
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	130670  
Old 09-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Yea I wish AM would stock it had this stuff sitting here since Wednesday :-/ I'll get the heat shield Monday, but probably won't be able to tackle the Boss install until next weekend
Nice. I should be getting it this wed. Prob install it on thurs.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hey did any of you install the boss intake but didnt get the install kit with the new purge valve?

So did you get a Jose and just reuse the stock purge valve with a 2ft long 3/8 fuel line? Any problems with this setup?

Or did you just leave off the purge valve completely. Did this trip the low fuel pressure CEL?

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

I read a some threads but no specific info about the pros and cons of each method. Or not enough cases of it to deduce whether its just a case of one person having a bad result or a good result and not indicative of a majority.

Gonna do the install on Thursday with the $10.99 hose/clamp/bolt install kit from LMR.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey did any of you install the boss intake but didnt get the install kit with the new purge valve? So did you get a Jose and just reuse the stock purge valve with a 2ft long 3/8 fuel line? Any problems with this setup? Or did you just leave off the purge valve completely. Did this trip the low fuel pressure CEL? ---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ---------- I read a some threads but no specific info about the pros and cons of each method. Or not enough cases of it to deduce whether its just a case of one person having a bad result or a good result and not indicative of a majority. Gonna do the install on Thursday with the $10.99 hose/clamp/bolt install kit from LMR.
Don't know know if this helps on the install, I also ordered the LMR kit and it comes with a screw to install the purge valve on the block

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...l-writeup.html
Old 09-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Hey did any of you install the boss intake but didnt get the install kit with the new purge valve? So did you get a Jose and just reuse the stock purge valve with a 2ft long 3/8 fuel line? Any problems with this setup? Or did you just leave off the purge valve completely. Did this trip the low fuel pressure CEL? ---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ---------- I read a some threads but no specific info about the pros and cons of each method. Or not enough cases of it to deduce whether its just a case of one person having a bad result or a good result and not indicative of a majority. Gonna do the install on Thursday with the $10.99 hose/clamp/bolt install kit from LMR.
I just relocated my stock purge valve to the block. I got the length of hose from Autozone and a bolt and had a spare washer laying around I spent less then $5.
No CEL's, no problems.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I just relocated my stock purge valve to the block. I got the length of hose from Autozone and a bolt and had a spare washer laying around I spent less then $5.
No CEL's, no problems.
Ok good to know. There was a thread where one user stated a check engine light came on for low fuel pressure and then caused his motor to lean out. The moment saw those two words together I immediately went to guard mode. But then again you didn't get rid of the purge valve. Well Im going your route. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Wow, to me that's seem kinda expensive for an insulator. I'm sure you can find something from Home Depot that would do the trick. Personally, I just put a 25 pound frozen bird in the space between my Boss manifold and the engine block. After a day of drifting, there's nothing like a turkey dinner you cooked with pure American muscle. :drool:
last part literally made me lol.
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't know know if this helps on the install, I also ordered the LMR kit and it comes with a screw to install the purge valve on the block

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...l-writeup.html
Nice man. Looks like we'll have the same setup almost. Let me know after your install how you like it.

I'm running BAMA 93 hybrid tune. I'm gonna expect maybe some low end torque loss but with about 400ft/lb I think I can spare 10 or so down low.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice man. Looks like we'll have the same setup almost. Let me know after your install how you like it. I'm running BAMA 93 hybrid tune. I'm gonna expect maybe some low end torque loss but with about 400ft/lb I think I can spare 10 or so down low.
Yea definitely!! I get the heat shield tomorrow, so I'll definitely post pics at night when I apply the shield to the manifold... I'll realistically have the manifold on by the weekend, hopefully earlier
Old 09-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea definitely!! I get the heat shield tomorrow, so I'll definitely post pics at night when I apply the shield to the manifold... I'll realistically have the manifold on by the weekend, hopefully earlier
Lol I've been living on the edge with work on my car. I do it on wed or thurs after the parts get in. If I don't get it done or a squirrel decides to crawl into the open intake and make a nest there then I'm screwed on getting to work the next day.

I just don't have enough patience to let's parts sit there smiling at me till the weekend
Old 09-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol I've been living on the edge with work on my car. I do it on wed or thurs after the parts get in. If I don't get it done or a squirrel decides to crawl into the open intake and make a nest there then I'm screwed on getting to work the next day. I just don't have enough patience to let's parts sit there smiling at me till the weekend

You do all the work yourself? Or are you taking it somewhere? Ever had any work done by Lonestar Performance in Addison?
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post

You do all the work yourself? Or are you taking it somewhere? Ever had any work done by Lonestar Performance in Addison?
I did everything myself. Only thing
Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I understand the theory of this but I doubt it will help. I tracked my car yesterday and I will agree the intake was HOT but the entire engine bay was hot. When I popped the hood I almost dropped it BC the hood prop was so damn hot.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
I understand the theory of this but I doubt it will help. I tracked my car yesterday and I will agree the intake was HOT but the entire engine bay was hot. When I popped the hood I almost dropped it BC the hood prop was so damn hot.
I figure it can't hurt if one is just getting the Boss IM and just adding it on during the install. If u already have the Boss, I would understand its not worth taking it off, and I'm smart enough to know that I'm gonna gain hp by adding this. It might be a scam as well, but since the runners are plastic, I can see an advantage of having a heat barrier

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

NOT gonna gain hp*
Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I figure it can't hurt if one is just getting the Boss IM and just adding it on during the install. If u already have the Boss, I would understand its not worth taking it off, and I'm smart enough to know that I'm gonna gain hp by adding this. It might be a scam as well, but since the runners are plastic, I can see an advantage of having a heat barrier
Yea couldn't hurt and it's easy to install before installation but to me it's not worth it. I would rather add hood vents to let air flow better or add a better flowing grill.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I think it's negligible how much it would actually help especially with an NA application.

But that being said I BBQ a lot and as hot as the grill gets the hottest is directly on top of the grille. If it keeps the intake 10 degrees cooler that's on order of 1% HP difference same as the effect of having lower temperature I HOPE. But yeah probably not as much as that 12hp advertised.

But it's $60. I'm ok with even just helping it keep slightly cooler or have even 2 stinking HP.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Hey Bro, add a pair of Redline hood struts to that BOSS!
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
Hey Bro, add a pair of Redline hood struts to that BOSS!
I will be adding struts soon
Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
I will be adding struts soon
Wish Ford would delete that friggin' sound tube and spend the money on hood struts. If they put 'em on the decklid, you would think the hood should get a pair too. But, Noooooo.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got it today, looks simple and wasn't perfectly cut, I had to do a lot of trimming... I would've been happier if I just cut my own pieces, which is what I did with this... Plus it didn't really come with any useful instructions, hopefully this works and isn't noticable when I install the IM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-291565687.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	131004   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-720315503.png
Views:	180
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	131005  

Name:	image-3658045711.png
Views:	162
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	131006   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-54183339.png
Views:	161
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	131007  

Name:	image-616069906.png
Views:	173
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	131008   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-310407275.png
Views:	279
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	131009  

Name:	image-2904554567.png
Views:	174
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	131010   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3387587272.png
Views:	204
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	131011  

Name:	image-1556754046.png
Views:	166
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	131022  
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Finally got it today, looks simple and wasn't perfectly cut, I had to do a lot of trimming... I would've been happier if I just cut my own pieces, which is what I did with this... Plus it didn't really come with any useful instructions, hopefully this works and isn't noticable when I install the IM
Nice. I'm jealous. Mines coming in on weds... Race you to the finish! First one that installs it tells the other exactly how and why they like or hate the IM!

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Oh one good way to see how actually hot the IM gets is to measure the temperature before and after the shield install. Do u think u can measure the temp?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice. I'm jealous. Mines coming in on weds... Race you to the finish! First one that installs it tells the other exactly how and why they like or hate the IM! ---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ---------- Oh one good way to see how actually hot the IM gets is to measure the temperature before and after the shield install. Do u think u can measure the temp?
The actual intake temp? I will at least feel how hot it gets, best way for me to do that is find another Stang with a Boss intake and compare how hot they get... I wouldn't know how to actually check the temp

---------- Post added at 04:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

I know the 13-14 have the option of checking the inlet temp, mine is a 11
Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The actual intake temp? I will at least feel how hot it gets, best way for me to do that is find another Stang with a Boss intake and compare how hot they get... I wouldn't know how to actually check the temp

---------- Post added at 04:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

I know the 13-14 have the option of checking the inlet temp, mine is a 11
Yeah the intake charge temp is isn't inside the manifold. I believe it's at the MAF.

But one of those laser temp guns would work nicely. I don't know anyone with one else we'd have to use a turkey oven thermometer? Lol
Old 10-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

D:{ "$@&?&@$@..$$@&"

****ing ****!!! Was rear ended by a lady just now!!! ****ing beech was in two accidents today. Once in the morning to work and just now rearing ending me!!!

Dude... Sorry to all you responsible women out there... But If you can't drive stay the **** home and make babies!!!!

Mothereffers... AND MY BOSS IM comes in tomorrow. GrrrRRRRRRRRRRRR

Seriously we need a law that deals out jail time for accidents. You get first one for free. Second one one day in jail minimum to 7 days. Third time, three minimum to 30 days. The actual jail time is dependent on if you broke any laws like running a light, speeding, talking on the phone, or hell getting a blowjob while driving I don't know...

I've been in one accident that's my fault. Since then nothing. Nothing for over 20yrs cuz I learned to be careful!!!

Sorry I'm just frustrated right now. My bumper looks like chewing gum....
Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
D:{ "$@&?&@$@..$$@&" ****ing ****!!! Was rear ended by a lady just now!!! ****ing beech was in two accidents today. Once in the morning to work and just now rearing ending me!!! Dude... Sorry to all you responsible women out there... But If you can't drive stay the **** home and make babies!!!! Mothereffers... AND MY BOSS IM comes in tomorrow. GrrrRRRRRRRRRRRR Seriously we need a law that deals out jail time for accidents. You get first one for free. Second one one day in jail minimum to 7 days. Third time, three minimum to 30 days. The actual jail time is dependent on if you broke any laws like running a light, speeding, talking on the phone, or hell getting a blowjob while driving I don't know... I've been in one accident that's my fault. Since then nothing. Nothing for over 20yrs cuz I learned to be careful!!! Sorry I'm just frustrated right now. My bumper looks like chewing gum....
Damn really?!?! Sorry to hear that man hopefully its nothing serious hope nobody got hurt
Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Damn really?!?! Sorry to hear that man hopefully its nothing serious hope nobody got hurt
Yeah I was pissed and was really really angry. She started tearing up and I told her it'll be ok. Hate my kryptonite. Women crying.

That's not fair! No one cares when mean are upset. Maybe I should carry around a Visine bottle and simulate crying... Cuz I think I have defective tear glands... Nvm.

Fk it I'm still installing the IM... Gonna see if I can tighten up the bumper and make sure it won't fall off.

I feel violated........
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I was pissed and was really really angry. She started tearing up and I told her it'll be ok. Hate my kryptonite. Women crying. That's not fair! No one cares when mean are upset. Maybe I should carry around a Visine bottle and simulate crying... Cuz I think I have defective tear glands... Nvm. Fk it I'm still installing the IM... Gonna see if I can tighten up the bumper and make sure it won't fall off. I feel violated........
Just the bumper? No other damage??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT