MT82 decided to Break Bad - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
MT82 decided to Break Bad

Quick Rundown:
3rd gear almost impossible to get into.

Before anyone asks:
Been driving manual my whole life. Have been working on cars since I was a little guy. ASE certified trans tech (even though I'm not a mechanic, i still keep up to date). Have built and owned several Mustangs. Have built trans both manual and automatic for 9 second whips. My home garage has everything but a lift (I even have a hydraulic press for splines, bearings, gears, suspension, etc). I'm not mr. know-it-all but I know a thing or two about cars, bikes, semis, etc.

Let's get on with it:
2014 GT Premium with Track Pack. My first OHC vehicle I plan on getting to the 9's. I've had several Mustangs in the past I've built, rebuilt, restored, etc - have never had an issue with auto or manual transmissions on a stock vehicle or after I beefed them up to withstand torque.

This morning 3rd gear decides to quit on me - synchros. I let the wife drive the car when she feels like it since she knows how to drive stick with the best of 'em. Taught her on my previous street Notchback and she even made a pass of 11.86 to my best 11.79! So she is well aware of how to handle a car with a little bit of power.

Shifting from 2-3 above 2200 RPM will yield a grind. A pause before you enter 3rd at the same RPM will fall in - but you can feel the hesitation as it doesn't want to go in just yet. Downshifting even at 1300 RPM from 4-3 also causes a grind. When the car is in gear it's all good.

I've never power shifted the MT82 since after reading so many issues and feeling a slight crunch from 1-2 and 2-3 - I wanted to get some miles on the trans ahead of time.

I decided to nix any fluid swap as I wanted to run OEM until something broke and it did, this morning. I didn't install any aftermarket shifter, bracket, mount insert, etc. Was the same this morning as the day we drove it home.

I decided to put the vehicle under a load to test the trans. 1-2, no problem. Still a slight crunch but no grind. 2-3, no problem. A slight crunch but no grind. 3-4 was like butter.

My first thought was "heh... maybe I lucked out with my MT8-GRRRRIIIIIINNNNDDD" as I tried moving to 3rd from 2k Rs in 4th on a decel.

Came to a stop. 1-2 - still that crunch. 2-3 does nothing but grind. Keeping the vehicle shifting around 1-1.2k Rs and moving slowly from 2-3 will be fine. All else is for the birds.

Took the car to the dealer this morning. T56 Mag just got added to my "must buy stuff" list. Will hear back from the dealer sometime on Monday. Until then...

ninjamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The notorious Chinese mt82 strikes (fails) again
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: New York
There are millions of threads about this POS transmission. Anytime I buy a new car i look to see where the important parts are made. Engine, tranny or anything that make the car go. I saw the MT-82 was built in china and that was my number reason to get the auto. I bought a used V6 three years ago and had problems with notchy shifting. After i found out it was built in china I started to save for my GT and the auto.

Sorry for your problems but almost everyone who owns the MT has problems with it. CHINA CHINA CHINA no good!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3
There are millions of threads about this POS transmission. Anytime I buy a new car i look to see where the important parts are made. Engine, tranny or anything that make the car go. I saw the MT-82 was built in china and that was my number reason to get the auto. I bought a used V6 three years ago and had problems with notchy shifting. After i found out it was built in china I started to save for my GT and the auto.

Sorry for your problems but almost everyone who owns the MT has problems with it. CHINA CHINA CHINA no good!!!
Um I wouldnt say that at all. Just because their are a ton of threads about MT-82 issues doesn't mean the majority have problems with it. Fact is, majority of people have zero issues with their tranny (like me, 20,000+ miles). And just because a low percentage of people have issues and the fact that it's made in China (like everything else in the US) wouldn't stop me from getting a stick. I'd NEVER buy a sports car in auto-fail, that's just sacrilege IMO.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
...sports car in auto, that's just sacrilege IMO.
So is calling the Mustang a sports car, it's a muscle car.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz

Ha...wrong. The mustang is actually a PONY/SPORT car

The older ones were considered MUSCLE
Old 09-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz

Straight from WikiPedia

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3810262697.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	130702

"Sports car-like coupe"
Old 09-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

Funny thing is for every million posted thread about MT82 problems there are 10 billion threads that weren't posted about non-problems. Not saying they're great transmissions but knock on wood no problems here and I got 22k... Damn I just jinxed mydelf
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
Straight from WikiPedia

Attachment 130702

"Sports car-like coupe"
I reject your reality and substitute my own...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
There are millions of threads about this POS transmission. Anytime I buy a new car i look to see where the important parts are made. Engine, tranny or anything that make the car go. I saw the MT-82 was built in china and that was my number reason to get the auto. I bought a used V6 three years ago and had problems with notchy shifting. After i found out it was built in china I started to save for my GT and the auto. Sorry for your problems but almost everyone who owns the MT has problems with it. CHINA CHINA CHINA no good!!!
I'm willing to guess a lot of the parts on ford vehicles are made in china china china.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Funny how all the previous mustang trannies NOT MADE IN CHINA do not have issues as mush as the MT-82!!! I don't see the 2005-2010 guys complain ever. Do you here the 1994-2004 guys complaining? How about the fox body guys? My brother owned an 89 notch 5.0 bullet proof tranny power shift to your hearts content. When it comes to the power train there should not be this many issues. Do a search and see how many MT-82 problems there are as compared to all the other years combined. The MT-82 has enough to cover all model years and then some.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Funny how all the previous mustang trannies NOT MADE IN CHINA do not have issues as mush as the MT-82!!! I don't see the 2005-2010 guys complain ever. Do you here the 1994-2004 guys complaining? How about the fox body guys? My brother owned an 89 notch 5.0 bullet proof tranny power shift to your hearts content. When it comes to the power train there should not be this many issues. Do a search and see how many MT-82 problems there are as compared to all the other years combined. The MT-82 has enough to cover all model years and then some.
You misunderstand. I didn't say the trans is or isn't a POS. I just stated that there are a lot of parts in ford vehicles made in china. That's all.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
2011....26,000 miles...switched to a MGW shifter
So far So good
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Time to visit the dealership for a new tranny . Good luck.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

LOL . Sorry for being so obvious please post how dealer handled your issue. I have an MT82 as well .
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Subscribed
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You've been under a rock if you think this is the first MT that has some problems in a Mustang...in fact, pretty much every one since the Toploader has been a source of some complaint. Shyt, WC T5s used to pop like party balloons if you actually drove the car to win or had a decent power adder.

I'm on MT82 redux and it's been good since a Ford dealer re-put it together,

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

This thread title misled to thinking your transmission was cooking Meth. -_____-
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
This thread title misled to thinking your transmission was cooking Meth. -_____-
Lmao. +1
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Mine did not give me any grief when it went. It still shifted fine. No track time or abuse at that point. It just started whining really loud out of nowhere at about 3000 kilometers. I knew it was either an input shaft bearing or countershaft bearing going out. Ford ultimately agreed to rip into it and I was proved right, which I politely pointed out to the dealership, since they'd been fighting me on it for a month.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Mine did not give me any grief when it went. It still shifted fine. No track time or abuse at that point. It just started whining really loud out of nowhere at about 3000 kilometers. I knew it was either an input shaft bearing or countershaft bearing going out. Ford ultimately agreed to rip into it and I was proved right, which I politely pointed out to the dealership, since they'd been fighting me on it for a month.
Not sure why Ford would fight anyone with MT82 problems. If Ford does not want people hitting WOT to red - they should put limiters in the vehicle to prevent WOT conditions. Nobody is driving this car, no matter how hard, in any manner that the vehicle does not permit as designed. It's no different than Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc stating that "well, your computer is slow because you have so much stuff installed" - if there is space - use it. If a car allows WOT - then it was designed to use WOT otherwise it shouldn't be there in the first place. It is a legality easily won in court. The question simply asks "why didnt' Ford Motor Company design the vehicle to prevent those specific conditions?" to which Ford will have no answer.

It's Ford's mistake to use a bum trans. Anyhow - Dealer did not look at it yesterday so I await a call tomorrow. They will fix it or I get a lawyer and get more than just my trans fixed. It's that simple. I have all the time in the world and Ford would be delaying the inevitable trying to push back. Rock and a hard place for Ford. Sucks to be in their shoes but being a wrench I have no clue how any of this passed QA testing. I've always built my drivetrains with the strength to withstand being nuked from orbit. Plan to hit 600rwhp? Build it to withstand 800 without breaking a sweat. Driveline, for me, is important.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Nevermind!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post

You misunderstand. I didn't say the trans is or isn't a POS. I just stated that there are a lot of parts in ford vehicles made in china. That's all.
You misunderstood me. When I said the china built tranny is a POS. Your reply to that post was a lot of parts are china built. (Pretty much stating why not B***H about the rest of the car?) Here's what I say to that. When it comes to the important parts (parts when they break leave you sitting on the side of the road) should never be built in china or with cheap materials. Face it Ford eF'd up with the MT-82.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamatic View Post
They will fix it or I get a lawyer and get more than just my trans fixed. It's that simple.
Just remember they have better lawyers and deeper pockets. So puffing your chest out on the internet may be of no help to you.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Just remember they have better lawyers and deeper pockets. So puffing your chest out on the internet may be of no help to you.
It's like all the ecoboost f150 guys on the f150 forums. With the problems it's had in humid environments everyone affected on the forums act like they're gonna get whatever they want from ford with a single lawyer.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
It's like all the ecoboost f150 guys on the f150 forums. With the problems it's had in humid environments everyone affected on the forums act like they're gonna get whatever they want from ford with a single lawyer.
Yes. That is exactly how I am acting. You have me nailed down after just a few posts! Bravo, internet champion!

Yeah no. I'm not expecting anything to go smoothly. What I am expecting, is to get the vehicle fixed since there is no measure restricting operation of the vehicle if it was not intended. Even when putting the drivetrain under a medium load - it is enough to torque the transmission linkage out of place for inaccurate shifts due to a remote shifter. It's bad design. Highlighting the bad design with evidence is all a judge will need. It's never a he said/she said argument - it's Ford against their own engineering with a rather large history of failures.

To re-iterate - this is how I feel about this whole situation:

I have all the time in the world to get Ford to rectify the issue. I am confident in my engineering know-how to present a strong case, if needed.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes. That is exactly how I am acting. You have me nailed down after just a few posts! Bravo, internet champion! Yeah no. I'm not expecting anything to go smoothly. What I am expecting, is to get the vehicle fixed since there is no measure restricting operation of the vehicle if it was not intended. Even when putting the drivetrain under a medium load - it is enough to torque the transmission linkage out of place for inaccurate shifts due to a remote shifter. It's bad design. Highlighting the bad design with evidence is all a judge will need. It's never a he said/she said argument - it's Ford against their own engineering with a rather large history of failures. To re-iterate - this is how I feel about this whole situation: I have all the time in the world to get Ford to rectify the issue. I am confident in my engineering know-how to present a strong case, if needed.
Cool story, go tell your mom about it. I think you should cry and stomp around, that should do it.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes. That is exactly how I am acting. You have me nailed down after just a few posts! Bravo, internet champion!

Yeah no. I'm not expecting anything to go smoothly. What I am expecting, is to get the vehicle fixed since there is no measure restricting operation of the vehicle if it was not intended. Even when putting the drivetrain under a medium load - it is enough to torque the transmission linkage out of place for inaccurate shifts due to a remote shifter. It's bad design. Highlighting the bad design with evidence is all a judge will need. It's never a he said/she said argument - it's Ford against their own engineering with a rather large history of failures.

I have all the time in the world to get Ford to rectify the issue. I am confident in my engineering know-how to present a strong case, if needed.

If you have all the time in the world that means you probably have all the money in the world. This may not be a worthwhile fight. Even if they change out the tranny for you it would still be the same one you had.

Better to take this opportunity and go with your suggestion of if you want 600hp then you want a transmission that can take 800hp.

How much would an aftermarket transmission cost? You are a mechanic or are certified I believe you said so... It should be cheaper overall cuz u can install it yourself.

If the original sucks why would you fight for another shiity unit of the same one? I don't have all the time or money but its part of the game I chose to play. And look on the bright side now you'll have a true bullet proof transmission.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
If you have all the time in the world that means you probably have all the money in the world. This may not be a worthwhile fight. Even if they change out the tranny for you it would still be the same one you had.

Better to take this opportunity and go with your suggestion of if you want 600hp then you want a transmission that can take 800hp.

How much would an aftermarket transmission cost? You are a mechanic or are certified I believe you said so... It should be cheaper overall cuz u can install it yourself.

If the original sucks why would you fight for another shiity unit of the same one? I don't have all the time or money but its part of the game I chose to play. And look on the bright side now you'll have a true bullet proof transmission.
No I don't have all the money in the world, lol. I'm just extremely patient. The T56 Mag is the trans I will aim for as I stated in the OP. The purpose in getting the trans fixed is that now I have a fixed/working (as best as it could, I guess) MT82 I can sell. While I'm more than willing to throw down some scrap for a new gearbox, I would still like to recoup a bit of coin from the original unit even if that means parting it out. That's just how I'm going to tackle it. Weather is changing and the car will be in the garage the entire winter so its not like I would be missing driving it other than another 6 or so weeks this year. I'm patient.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:

As long as you covered all your bases. Had any maintenance needed to the tranny and had the ISB done to your car if it is a '11-'12. After '12 ford changed the type of oil from factory. There should be no issues with you and Ford.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Here's some advice from someone who's been through it. Save the "engineering know how". It doesn't strengthen your case and makes you look like a smart ***.

Crap like this:

"What I am expecting, is to get the vehicle fixed since there is no measure restricting operation of the vehicle if it was not intended. Even when putting the drivetrain under a medium load - it is enough to torque the transmission linkage out of place for inaccurate shifts due to a remote shifter. It's bad design. Highlighting the bad design with evidence is all a judge will need. It's never a he said/she said argument - it's Ford against their own engineering with a rather large history of failures."

and this:

"Not sure why Ford would fight anyone with MT82 problems. If Ford does not want people hitting WOT to red - they should put limiters in the vehicle to prevent WOT conditions. Nobody is driving this car, no matter how hard, in any manner that the vehicle does not permit as designed. It's no different than Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc stating that "well, your computer is slow because you have so much stuff installed" - if there is space - use it. If a car allows WOT - then it was designed to use WOT otherwise it shouldn't be there in the first place. It is a legality easily won in court. The question simply asks "why didnt' Ford Motor Company design the vehicle to prevent those specific conditions?" to which Ford will have no answer.

It's Ford's mistake to use a bum trans...."

Isn't going to win friends and influence people in the dealership. Stick to the facts. The car's making noise, shifting badly, whatever. Fill out an NVH form, get someone senior to ride with you to document the problem. Compare with another 5.0 on the lot. Be prepared for resistance but stick to the facts. Be prepared to escalate, with good manners, to higher ups in the dealership, up to the dealer principal, if needed.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No I don't have all the money in the world, lol. I'm just extremely patient. The T56 Mag is the trans I will aim for as I stated in the OP. The purpose in getting the trans fixed is that now I have a fixed/working (as best as it could, I guess) MT82 I can sell. While I'm more than willing to throw down some scrap for a new gearbox, I would still like to recoup a bit of coin from the original unit even if that means parting it out. That's just how I'm going to tackle it. Weather is changing and the car will be in the garage the entire winter so its not like I would be missing driving it other than another 6 or so weeks this year. I'm patient.
+1 hope you get your MT82 transmission and sell it lol. Yeah I'd probably do that too but my warranty's out the window already. I'm thinking... No matter what I do it's not gonna be warranted =\
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

For others than the OP, you can buy a brand new in box MT82 with zero miles for about 2.5K at Tousley Ford Parts. Just FYI.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Update:
Warranty

Service rep assured me that driving a Mustang like a Mustang is A-OK and expects nothing less. Told me they will stand by the warranty no matter what Ford says. They have already had several issues with the MT-82 in house so they are well aware of issues with this tranny and stated no matter how many times it breaks under warranty, just keep bringing it back and they will take care of it.

I'm actually surprised that this dealer is taking such a hard stance with the MT-82. It is quite re-assuring that some dealers are willing to stand up to Ford when they know there is an issue with OEM units.

Will have the whip back this week.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I took mine in today as well. Told them about my fifth gear grinding/lock out. They saw me race it yesterday and said it's still under warranty. Of course I didn't use fifth in the 1/4 anyways.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT