Raxiom Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-up Camera (10-14) - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Anyone that has this know how to upload your own background image?
vans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #177

Region: Arkansas
dont know how. There is a 4 gig SD car in the unit, but it holds maps, and trip info.

I am going to try to upload an image today, and will touch back if I can get it to work.
stormdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #178

oops nevermind. The card is to small for use in my PC card reader slot. I had a holder to read small cards, but this is to small. I need to get a holder to read it on my PC. I dont think it will work from the USB in my car, but may try that next. But have my doubts.

Cards a micro SD4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yeah I tried uploading pictures onto that already with no luck. I wonder what the USB plug in the back is for.
vans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #180

other things I had issues with - that would have been good to know. Or just tips I noted. These may have been issues specific to my car year only (2013 GT)

GOOD TOOLS TO HAVE:
A console panel removal tool - is really very very helpful. Look at any Auto parts store, Walmart, Amazon. Look near the Radio installation Kits, parts area. About $5, or can usually be found in Stereo installation kits.

An exacto knife blade - used CAREFULLY, so you do not cut deep is very handy for cutting paper back off of foam wrapping for AC and Sync - do not cut foam. Do AC unit first to refine cutting depth, that way if you cut foam, you have enough extra, to try a second cut, and can still have enough surplus to wrap AC unit.

AC/SYNC OEM:
When wrapping AC and SYNC in foam. Each unit is wrapped separately, with its own foam. Before sealing shut - cut out a hole in the foam for plug ins. Easier to do before you seal foam piece. Before tying AC and SYNC together: Look at how holes are aligned up for OEM connecters, so they are in the right direction (up/down) to most easily re connect the OEM plug ins in your car.

It can be a bit trickier, if you have one unit flipped wrong, as the wires can be hard to twist depending on how much give you have. My OEM wires were tightly secured to a sidewall bracket, and I had to cut the plastic connecter so I could move them more easily and push AC and SYNC back into car pocket compartment. SYNC unit will be wire tied ON TOP of AC unit, and can be pushed back very far, if you are careful. This give lots of room for the Raxiom unit to slide in. Thats a big help.

Antenna Mount Location:

Decide roughly where you want GPS and Camera antenna, and run cables to that apot, and back to console before you begin installing AC and everything back in. Just easier overall IMO.

I mounted GPS antenna on top of Rear View mirror, (not windshield) and ran wire under headliner, and down side pillar, and behind glove box. Use 3M tape, not included. Looks very sharp, and blends in well.

Mounted camera between license plate lites with 3 M tape. I did not want to drill holes in car. So attached camera above license plate, centered between lights. Used a drill and small saw to notch the backside of the black cover plate that covers both lights, and also notched out back edge of rear black housing of light on passenger side, so camera wire was able to run into and under light opening, then through hole already in trunk for lights. Fed cable through a rubber grommet in trunk in which I had to slit tube open, to fit cable in. Re Seal with electrical tape.

Run antenna wire along other cables already in place, on passenger side, through trunk (under bed lining) and along side passenger wall/backseat. Through floor plate molding (had to remove passenger sill plate) Then finally behind glove box, to console.

AC Removal, be careful, and unclip, if you have clips:
When removing AC unit, as mentioned by another poster earlier. Look for the metal clips holding it in place on inside of metal brackets. He used a flexible flashlight to view. I did not see or find these. and broke a clip on my AC during removal. Fortunately AC does not remount back in same holder. But its very easy to damage that unit - so be careful. Dont tork it, or it can be broken. Do not drop it.

The AC and SYNC are easier to attach when held out of the console space. Then work them back in and push back.

ReAttaching the Radio Unit:

My car, 2013 GT, I was able to attache three of the plastic coated connecters on the back of the OEM Radio Head unit, without it being pushed into place. This made them much easier to see. The yellow connector, and black Radio antennae, I had to attach by feel, no visual, as radio must be pushed back. Small hands help.

The OEM harness attaches to Radio - NOT to OEM AC and SYNC ( I missing this distinction originally)

Attaching Raxiom Console:
I was able to attach most cables visually, by sort of pulling plate to the passenger side, at an angle - up and right, above and over gear shifter. This allowed me to view and connect most connections. If you are alone, do it from the drivers seat. but if someone can sit in the passenger seat and hold the console, and connect what they can see on that side it can help also.

Connecting bottom power (lower right first, and then working up seemed to work a bit better then reverse for me)

Final Test for power and function:
Before inserting center console/cup holders buttoning everything up, and mounting in radio bolted - make sure your unit powers up, and stuff works. That way if you need to redo wire harness or connections you can get to them.

Check that CD disk moves in and ejects out of CD slot.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans5oh View Post
Yeah I tried uploading pictures onto that already with no luck. I wonder what the USB plug in the back is for.
My thought was maybe for other car styles that may have an in dash USB input - then this would connect to it. Same with the Video connections too.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Hi there. Newbie here. Not new to the Mustang world though. So I just read thru all 6 pages and there is a lot of useful info. Thank you. One thing that I did not come across was the mention of the single disk player that is required. My pony came equipped with a 6 disk player. I have someone that I am swapping his single for my 6 so I can use the Raxiom navigation system. My question is... Has anyone done this? There are different models of single disk player for my 2010 GT. What is the part number that I need? Does the CD player also house the satellite radio. Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Devildogstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #182

Region: Iowa
I was wondering if this is available anywhere besides American Muscle? I found it here, but not in stock

Amazon.com: CarShow by Rosen CS-MUST10-US 2010-14 OE-Look Ford Mustang Navigation System: GPS & Navigation
Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Radio MY Car

I have a 2013 Brembo Convertable.
I took my time and it took about 2 to 3 hours.. Had fun with the camera hook mount because I didnt want to mess up the bumper.
I like the set up so far. NO problems and it does the job, Exspensive for just adding built in GPS, but better to have less cables over my lap and a blocked power outlet. Would like to know what the Cable output or is it really a Input on the back of the radio...
Can't find any info on it. I wasn't really sure so hooked it up and ran the cable it to the Trunk for any later updates of what ever it is really for.

Looking to later see how easy it is to update power with a small amp.
I have been on here for years, but I usually dont post because I dont mod alot, but use the sight for any little FYI's for down the road. Also in the past my 05, for reapirs.

Thank you to everyone who does post. I hope to start posting this summer.
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerotaz View Post
I have a 2013 Brembo Convertable.

I took my time and it took about 2 to 3 hours.. Had fun with the camera hook mount because I didnt want to mess up the bumper.

I like the set up so far. NO problems and it does the job, Exspensive for just adding built in GPS, but better to have less cables over my lap and a blocked power outlet. Would like to know what the Cable output or is it really a Input on the back of the radio...

Can't find any info on it. I wasn't really sure so hooked it up and ran the cable it to the Trunk for any later updates of what ever it is really for.

Looking to later see how easy it is to update power with a small amp.

I have been on here for years, but I usually dont post because I dont mod alot, but use the sight for any little FYI's for down the road. Also in the past my 05, for reapirs.

Thank you to everyone who does post. I hope to start posting this summer.

Be careful. I just got my 14' and spent over 1k just by looking through the posts. lol
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #185

Region: Kentucky
Anyone have any luck changing the background?
mr_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Also did any one figure out what the cable connection in the back is for? I just bought one and will be installing it next week.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by vans5oh View Post
I do not work for AM so my review could be considered non biased towards them. This really is a great simple unit for sync cars. Non sync cars have a ton more options. One new option that came out is from Maestro the MUS1 (ADS-KIT-MUS01). It puts the new stereo up high and gives a storage compartment down in front of the shifter. HOWEVER... to retain sync controls this must be used with a applicable Kenwood stereo. It is a very clean look but does not look like it came from the factory. Also, this is not plug and play, and you need to buy a separate module to retain the sync controls. The climate controls, stereo, nav...etc is all done on the kenwood stereo. The stereo alone will cost roughly $600 for the low end model. Yes it has more features, yes it has better sound, yes it plays dvd's but it is not plug and play and rear camera must be purchased separately. People were stating that they were having 5 hour install times with the raxiom unit, imagine how long it would take with this unit. On a side note, if I didn't state this before the reason it took me less than 2 hours was that I have a lot of experience installing car stereos and back up cameras and custom car audio work. People really are just arguing over semantics here and some I just think like to see read back what they type. It's really a simple situation. If you want a stock look, easy install, HAVE AND RETAIN YOUR SYNC, and don't want to spend a ton, raxiom is the way to go. If you want more, then you will spend more money and yes you will get more but you will also get a much more involved install and lose a factory look.

With the supplied T-harness in the MUS1 dash kit it is VERY plug and play. there are three wires to connect to the car. Of course you do have to connect your radio to the t-harness too. Install can be done in well less than 2 hours and people have said as much.

However, we have no desire to hijack this Raxiom thread. If you are interested in other options, just search the forum for Maestro and post your comments/questions there and we will answer them.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Just ordered mine.
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

I want this. But like some others that have posted said I don't have sync on my car. I have a base V6 2014 :/

I saw in another forum that they bought the OEM STOCK FACTORY FORD SYNC HANDS FREE BLUETOOTH PHONE VOICE KIT for $63 on ebay. I went and took a look and sure enough it's listed for that price although apparently it's not compatible with my 2014, I believe it was only compatible up to the 2011's not sure. The person that mentioned this kit had it installed on their 2013. I'm not to familiar with this stuff but I'm wondering if this kit will work with my 2014? And if it does then I imagine I'll be able to get the Raxiom?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
I want this. But like some others that have posted said I don't have sync on my car. I have a base V6 2014 :/

I saw in another forum that they bought the OEM STOCK FACTORY FORD SYNC HANDS FREE BLUETOOTH PHONE VOICE KIT for $63 on ebay. I went and took a look and sure enough it's listed for that price although apparently it's not compatible with my 2014, I believe it was only compatible up to the 2011's not sure. The person that mentioned this kit had it installed on their 2013. I'm not to familiar with this stuff but I'm wondering if this kit will work with my 2014? And if it does then I imagine I'll be able to get the Raxiom?

Raxiom will just add navigation (translation-waste of money if you don't have sync). Get the kenwood with the maestro kit; you will be much happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Whiteline
Ford Racing
Steeda
Hurst
Boss
Mtx
Hotchkis
Roush
BAMA
Spohn
Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Fury I'm aware I need sync for Raxiom. That's why I'm thinking about getting sync on my car...been wanting it. My mustang was given as a gift (but in the end I'm the one paying for her) if I had gotten her myself from the lot I would've made sure it had sync. I took a look at the Kenwood with the maestro kit as you said it looks pretty good; I believe some Alpine's work. I'll be doing some thinking and maybe I'll go this way getting the maestro kit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Vic14. Since you do not have sync you don't need the maestro kit. You should just get a good kenwood unit dnx9980hd and good speakers. That is all you need. Look at other units that have pandora built in. You will be much happier in the end.

Whiteline
Ford Racing
Steeda
Hurst
Boss
Mtx
Hotchkis
Roush
BAMA
Spohn
Old 08-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Alrighty I'll see what I'll end up doing

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You wont need sync for the raxium unit soon. I talked to a rep and its being developed now. So be patient.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #195
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Vic14. Since you do not have sync you don't need the maestro kit. You should just get a good kenwood unit dnx9980hd and good speakers. That is all you need. Look at other units that have pandora built in. You will be much happier in the end.

Whiteline
Ford Racing
Steeda
Hurst
Boss
Mtx
Hotchkis
Roush
BAMA
Spohn

You still need some kind of kit to handle the HVAC once the radio panel is removed. An interface will also provide you all the wires you need to install a 2DIN radio such as Accessory (with RAP), illumination, reverse, parking brake, foot brake. You can still use Maestro RR and MUS1 dash kit with a compatible radio and you will have HVAC in your radio screen.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarcos448 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums but I found this thread by doing a google search. I recently installed this navigation system.

Install:
I'll be completely honest, it was difficult for me. I've never done a stereo job. It took me about 5 hours just to install the head unit. Taking out the A/C module was really the difficult part for me. I was being extremely careful with it, in the end I used some force and managed to take it out. The rest of the installation is pretty easy. I did have a problem with the harness. There's 2 cables that you have to chose to connect whether you have a 2010-12 or 2013, I have a 2014, so I tried the 2013, it didn't work, there was no sound coming out of the front left speaker. I thought maybe something wasn't plugged in correctly so i had to unplug everything and plug it back in but it still didn't work. So I went ahead and tried the 10-12 plug and it worked. I'm not sure if it was marked wrong.

I placed the navigation antenna on the front dash on the passenger side tucked away in the corner, so it has nothing obstructing it and it actually looks nice, i hid all the cables going there very easily, I'll post a picture when I can.

I still haven't installed the reverse camera, but i did try it out, it looks really nice, I kinda wish it had guide lines but it's okay. The reason I haven't installed it because I don't have an idea how to run the wires. I really don't want to drill a hole, but if someone can post some instructions on how to modify I would be willing to do it.

The system itself:
It looks great! That's for sure. I love how it looks stock. It's very fluid, it has no lag. When you press on the screen it automatically reacts. The navigation is very cool. It has all this different warnings and options. The steering wheel controls work well. Everything that comes with your mustang works perfectly with this unit. You can also change the background picture to a custom one with a 4GB micro SD card that's included with the unit (AM doesn't list it as "In the box".), I chose a nice mustang logo. The only thing I would change is the start up. It says raxiom, I wish I could trade it for my background. Besides that I really recommend this unit.

As far as a review this is what I give it.

Ease of Install: 6/10 (Needs more detail)
Looks:10/10
Operating System:9/10

I hope I help some of you guys out with this, sorry for it being so long. PM your questions, or post them here. Ill post pictures tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Thanks for letting us know!

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

I would really appreciate if you could post some pictures and a few instructions if you can!
Pleaseeeee tell me how you changed the backround
MikeMcDema05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT