Auto transmission shot - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Auto transmission shot

2014 GT with 6 speed automatic...5500 miles....towed to dealer with trans trouble..never raced or abused...babied....it's a new car.....everything fine intil yesterday....drove fine to work...when leaving after work ...put trans in gear and the engine revs but car just did move...tried reverse...same ...engine revs....no go....try sport mode...select shift...same...thought maybe torque converter not locking up.....dealer says problem is in transmission....going to pull pan ...notify ford and see what ford wants them to do....anyone else have issues like this???...very disheartening on a new 5.0.
Hunter1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1660 View Post
2014 GT with 6 speed automatic...5500 miles....towed to dealer with trans trouble..never raced or abused...babied....it's a new car.....everything fine intil yesterday....drove fine to work...when leaving after work ...put trans in gear and the engine revs but car just did move...tried reverse...same ...engine revs....no go....try sport mode...select shift...same...thought maybe torque converter not locking up.....dealer says problem is in transmission....going to pull pan ...notify ford and see what ford wants them to do....anyone else have issues like this???...very disheartening on a new 5.0.
Better to have it happen while in warranty, instead of out of warranty.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Man sorry to hear that. I have a 2000 gt auto and wanted to get a new mustang but after reading all the horror stories and all the problems people have with ford I don't think I will ever get another one.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
Man sorry to hear that. I have a 2000 gt auto and wanted to get a new mustang but after reading all the horror stories and all the problems people have with ford I don't think I will ever get another one.
I have a 2012 and mine has had a fair share of issues. Just keep the 2000 and don't get into more car payments lol! Either that or get another one your year model and mod it out.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

My 2011 automatic has been trouble free for all of its 53K miles it currently has.

As stated, it's under warranty, which is the best time for this type of failure, as it will be covered under warranty. No worries.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #6

I traded in a 2012 mustang with the v6 and auto...35000 care free miles...am surprised and disappointed with this major failure....I might could understand it if I abused it...that's not the case...never done a burnout...I drive it like I want it to last...not try to tear it up.....there was no warning...hoping the dealership calls today with game plan...it's covered under warranty but I sure miss my new car...with the key word being NEW
Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I traded in a 2012 mustang with the v6 and auto...35000 care free miles...am surprised and disappointed with this major failure....I might could understand it if I abused it...that's not the case...never done a burnout...I drive it like I want it to last...not try to tear it up.....there was no warning...hoping the dealership calls today with game plan...it's covered under warranty but I sure miss my new car...with the key word being NEW
Thats because you never treated her like a bad girl, its like saving ur virginity till 90 years old and expect it to work 100 percent because u never used it....jk goodluck
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Next thread will be how "all these automatics are junk"..."I've "heard" all these hundreds of horror stories...." Just watch, I tell ya.

Man, I hate the specious arguments, non sequiturs of logic and general fear-mongering that are so characteristic of these boards.

Sorry for your troubles but, it came early and Ford'll deal with it, I'm sure.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Next thread will be how "all these automatics are junk"..."I've "heard" all these hundreds of horror stories...." Just watch, I tell ya. Man, I hate the specious arguments, non sequiturs of logic and general fear-mongering that are so characteristic of these boards. Sorry for your troubles but, it came early and Ford'll deal with it, I'm sure.
I've heard so few of any issues around the 6r80 i'm surprised there is an "opinion" that they are problematic.

I've trashed on mine since day one...overly aggressive launches, manually shifting often (stop laughing you manual trans jack holes), drag strip runs, and all around abusing the mustang the way it is meant to be driven.

Stock converter. Stock trans fluid. 25 k miles. Brutal Texas heat for 2 years. Bama 93 tune.

Been a solid trans.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
I've heard so few of any issues around the 6r80 i'm surprised there is an "opinion" that they are problematic. I've trashed on mine since day one...overly aggressive launches, manually shifting often (stop laughing you manual trans jack holes), drag strip runs, and all around abusing the mustang the way it is meant to be driven. Stock converter. Stock trans fluid. 25 k miles. Brutal Texas heat for 2 years. Bama 93 tune. Been a solid trans.
I'm with this guy. I've done everything short of mud riding and well ok. I've done a little mud riding. And haven't had the first problem. Other than backing into non moving objects. But ford claims that was my fault and wouldn't warranty it.
To be honest... I hate it for you brother. And know it'll be tough without your queen for a couple of days. But ford should take care of ya. Best of luck to you.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Oh man, doesn't anybody read any more? I was commenting on how people take one out-of-context, unverifiable report and turn it into a condemnation of the entire species.

Both of your reactions pretty much proved my point by taking what I said out of context and reacting to your misinterpretation of my intentions.

I would have thought it was clear I wasn't stating there was an "opinion" on the automatic that was negative in my post, rather upon what I said, the fear mongering, ridiculous generalizations, specious reasoning and no-sequiturs that populate this and other boards.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Oh man, doesn't anybody read any more? I was commenting on how people take one out-of-context, unverifiable report and turn it into a condemnation of the entire species. Both of your reactions pretty much proved my point by taking what I said out of context and reacting to your misinterpretation of my intentions. I would have thought it was clear I wasn't stating there was an "opinion" on the automatic that was negative in my post, rather upon what I said, the fear mongering, ridiculous generalizations, specious reasoning and no-sequiturs that populate this and other boards.
I didn't take it out of context. Others started posting about how they heard issues... I said I was suprised. On the opinions. And I was providing info on how I abuse the hell out if mine. Sorry for providing real world feedback ( not just to you, but the posters stirring crap up). Actually I was talking about other posts. Really I was agreeing with you by quoting. Sorry for the confusion.

We're on the same side of the fence homie.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My 2011 manual has been trouble free only had to take in after I bought it for a rattle. I have drag raced it and auto crossed it.
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP, I'm sorry to hear about your automatic transmission issues. You figure tens of thousands of automatic mustangs produced and a handful are going to be faulty. Unfortunately, stuff happens to every product ,every brand, every model. It doesn't mean that Ford, Mustangs and there automatic transmissions are junk. My stang is 3 years old to the day, has 28k miles , been tuned since less than 5k and my automatic transmission works beautiful. (Knock on wood). I don't beat on her but don't drive her like a Buick Rivera either. The carbon gets cleaned out with a few wot runs weekly
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #15

Didn't think this was common.. I've driven fords forever.....my expedition has 188000 carefree miles and is still a solid vehicle. ...no problems...with the 5.4 except the spark plugs...but that's a sore subject on its on...glad to see the GT's trans problem isn't that common and am confident it'll be repaired good as new....I still think its the torque converter...I believe the one way bearing let go in the stator...we'll see....thank for the input and well wishes...I'll let y'all know when they let me know...here's hoping its sooner than later
Old 10-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

I've heard so few of any issues around the 6r80 i'm surprised there is an "opinion" that they are problematic.

I've trashed on mine since day one...overly aggressive launches, manually shifting often (stop laughing you manual trans jack holes), drag strip runs, and all around abusing the mustang the way it is meant to be driven.

Stock converter. Stock trans fluid. 25 k miles. Brutal Texas heat for 2 years. Bama 93 tune.

Been a solid trans.
I had you quote and laugh at you

Bahaha
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

I had you quote and laugh at you

Bahaha
BahahahahahahahaahhaaHAHAHAA

i LOL at the LOL

=P
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
The interwebz are notorious for blowing things up.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

One bad case seems like its 100x worse because they put a lot of hate hurt and overall more emotion into posting things.

Also same user may post multiple threads and forums. I know a few people with 5.0 11-13 GT/Boss and no ones having issues... Yet. I always have to put yet else... Nvm

On the flip side. People who don't have problems or love their GTs don't go posting the good stuff or trouble free stuff in multiple threads and forums. But that's not to say there aren't more problems than in previous gens.

Until mine breaks I'll do my best to balance the love and the hate by posting a little more love.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Btw the Boss didn't come in an auto
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #21

Ford place called today....said they drove the car Friday and after driving about a block it started working fine?said they don't know what problem was but can't get car to duplicate it now....they're going to call the " hotline" and see if they can find out anything from them and call me tomorrow ...I realize in order to troubleshoot there has to be a obvious problem...now there's not....that's why I had the car towed....now what?....I can almost hear it now.....sorry about your luck....come get the car....if you have any problem..don't hesitate to call.....I am not happy at this point....
Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Ford place called today....said they drove the car Friday and after driving about a block it started working fine?said they don't know what problem was but can't get car to duplicate it now....they're going to call the " hotline" and see if they can find out anything from them and call me tomorrow ...I realize in order to troubleshoot there has to be a obvious problem...now there's not....that's why I had the car towed....now what?....I can almost hear it now.....sorry about your luck....come get the car....if you have any problem..don't hesitate to call.....I am not happy at this point....
Sounds electronic, I have a 13 Focus (I know they're different) and it did the same exact thing to me like 3 times... The 1st time I was all nervous, but when I shut the car off and came back and turned it on again it was fine like nothing happened... The next 2 times I simply pulled over, turned the car off then on and the problem goes away... Kinda stupid but this is my lease so I could really care less

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

I could never duplicate the problem to the dealer cuz it gets better always
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #23

I thought maybe electronic problem too...initially disconnected the battery and hoped maybe a reset would help ...to no avail....this is a new GT premium ....I expected a long trouble free ownership....isn't starting out like that......I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it plays out...patience isn't my best virtue

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT